I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
May 25, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #542 of 3,761
FortisFlyer75, I also preferred my 829 to my 808/818 because of the bigger soundstage and airier quality.

But the X is better than the 829, better detail, more powerful and more dynamic. If you were happy with your 829, you'll be even happier with the X, I'm sure of it
smile_phones.gif

May 25, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #543 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FortisFlyer75, I also preferred my 829 to my 808/818 because of the bigger soundstage and airier quality.

But the X is better than the 829, better detail, more powerful and more dynamic. If you were happy with your 829, you'll be even happier with the X, I'm sure of it
smile_phones.gif

Ahh, why did you have to say that soozieq!

I might have to get it even though i absoloutly cannot stand the laver finish they have done!

Especially as i think someone else said and the consensus seems to be you do not need an amp really to go with this as i was close to getting a P51 Mustang later on!

Do i hold out or not!! - "that is the question"

Emotional walkman torture this is!

May 25, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #544 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 'play' icon comes on screen when you leave 'now playing' to browse artists, albums or songs. You just tap it to go back to 'now playing'. It works like the old 'option' button. But the icon disappears once you leave the music folder.

Ya but there isn't one in movies and pics and settings like there used to be
popcorn.gif

May 25, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #546 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ya but there isn't one in movies and pics and settings like there used to be
popcorn.gif

Ohhhhh. When I said 'settings' I meant anything outside the music folder which includes all the above
redface.gif

May 25, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #547 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by FortisFlyer75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys,

I have spent two sodding hours reading this (war & peace) thread from post one and it seems you guys have been writting it as fast as i am reading it!

I now need to throw my hat into the arena as i posted a couple of time on the other thread that was going on to pre-release.

I have always admired Sony Walkman brand and the sound Q they have even though that has always been varied from the original days of my minidisc era days to me owning the HD-3 & HD5 30gb version.

For reference i use Shure E500's (cable crack issue) & Senn IE8's and AKG 702's with Double Helix Cable for ear heaven. Just to note i must be the only person here that rates the E500 above the IE8's, please dont burn me at the stake! lol

Also i must be the only one again, but i have my music in WAV since my HD-5 days

I recently (december09) broke the habbit of a lifetime and went against my own anti-resistant buy apple logic and got my self a newish Ipod Touch 32gb 2G from Fleabay and i seriously almost got rid of it until i recieved my ALO LOD from Double Helix Cable and i found out how good this can sound, so am just using it as my home player with my Naim headline 2 amp as also i found the lack of hard buttons not practical to use commuting which really killed it for me.

At the same time (december) in the christmas spirit i purchased the Cowon D2and recently that went to a new home as i could not be arsed to fly to cape canaveral to learn how to become a NASA pilot to use the thing! even though i thought the sound was better than my A818.

So that brings me to until recently my above average A818 sounding player which was never in the amazing catagory for me (had something missing for me) i have really been wanting to get this new "X" series Walkman, but and the big but for me, even though this might sound petty to the rest of you is that Geo laver finish on the side which is not even just a paint finish and seems to be textured and after seeing the Japan Black Ice version i am really torn between buying it now or waiting for the dust to settle when they bring a few more finishes out to prop up the sales as usually Sony Centres always get an exlusive finish come in after it has been out a while.

So until seeing the really good close up pics by Walkingman i initially picked up a A829 for £60 hardly used from Fleabay again and noticed the sound a par above the A818 for me and was a lot more open on and airy on the soundstage and the intruments more refined (less flat) and the top end had more clarity, music really come to live for me on the A829 compared to the
A818 so as i am really, really torn between seeing if i can hold out for maybe a new finish being released to europe is it worth upgrading from the A829 i got only two weeks ago to the new X1060 for the sound??

I am not bothered about the browser to much even though it does perplex me why Sony bother at all trying to compete with Apple/safari browser if they cannot make it better than that and actually bring out an inferior product in that respect.

It's as if it was a token gesture to get them on the ladder as two years on they have been caught with their pants down(sony that is) with the Touch model from Apple and have been chasing the dust in trying to catch up and can only imagine Sony will not wait long before churning out the 2nd gen of the X-series regardless of the shelf life of this one just come out.

Does anyone also know if the X1060 will fit the BCR-NWU5 cradle or will i have to part with more ££ while getting new cases, screen protector, tea making adaptor, floor cleaning pads etc....?

It does seem a shame the X1060 is missing the play now panel which would have still been handy and no accelorometer which was a surprise also but if this is better sound Q than the A829 and any of you reckon to the contrary that there would not might be an alternative finish coming to the UK then i might just put an order in tonight with Play.com!

That side finish is still bugging me though and would be nice to have an impression on that by you guys who have it as i have seen plenty of pics now to get a realistic overview of it, but it is not the same as seeing it in the flesh.
If everyone is drooling over the Black Ice finish, why have Sony not had the common sense in the first place to make it readily available along side the other finish?

Maybe i could get the Japan version and swap over the casing with a UK model!

p.s. is the hold button okay situated there and is the build quality of it okay?

The textured surface is really nice. I thought I would hate it but it's kind of classy/deluxe and helps with the grip, in fact now that I have it in hand I love the textured finish. It's less marbled looking than I thought it would be, it's more black then black and white/grey. If you want the best sound quality just break down and get the X. I have/had the s639, a818, a728 and the X is just in a different class SQ wise. It took me a couple of days to wrap my head around the sound as it's presented different than my other daps. All my other daps sound like they have a layer of something over the sound after some quality time with the X. It's that clear and dynamic. When I heard people say it's warm, but walkingman said it sounded clearer the n the s639 and Sooz said it had better treble the a829. I thought how can that be? Warm in my head means , good deep bass and softer treble- definitly not the case with the X. I consider the clip to be warm and the X doesn't sound like the clip
biggrin.gif
I do consider it warm as in deep good bass, but it's more clear and detailed than my d2+ which I consider on the "cold" side

I agree with Julie, the kenwood media keg I had for a while would probably be the most close to the sound, but with less hiss and wider soundstage. Less hiss than d2+ also.

May 25, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #548 of 3,761
Hey Ihatepopupads Congrats to you sir! You seem like one happy fellow
jecklinsmile.gif
With you guys endorsement of this player's SQ. It sure seems like a winner.

Ok, from the feedback that I've been seeing thus far I seem to get the slightest notion that the IE8-X1000 combo isn't as great as was expected by many. Well by me atleast!! Is this the case? or is it just that other comparable phones are just hands down more "synergistic"??

May 25, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #549 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Photoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ihatepopupads, Thanks. One more question. Is browsing faster on it than the zune ( like get to an artist or song)? And sound quality in ur opinion. Thanks

Yes browsing is as fast as the screen scrolls (fast) and the screen is as responsive as the touch, better than S9 and P2. There is a dotted line above the albums/artist/songs list which starts with A and goes to Z. You can drag your finger on that line and the letter in the alphabet will pop up and you will be there that fast
jecklinsmile.gif
See my previous posts in this thread for sound quality, but I consider it better than Zune, plus Duncan has a good comparism with the zune sound and I concur !00% Basically it has more detail/resolution and space and dynamics than the zune. I believe the zune may have a wee bit more output power though. The d2+ has more power but the X still sounds better because of the clarity and dynamics. IMO

May 25, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #550 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Ihatepopupads Congrats to you sir! You seem like one happy fellow
jecklinsmile.gif
With you guys endorsement of this player's SQ. It sure seems like a winner.

Ok, from the feedback that I've been seeing thus far I seem to get the slightest notion that the IE8-X1000 combo isn't as great as was expected by many. Well by me atleast!! Is this the case? or is it just that other comparable phones are just hands down more "synergistic"??

Thanks, yes I'm very happy! To have a small player with a great screen and build quality that sounds this good with no external amp needed.... Just what I was looking for
icon10.gif

May 25, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #551 of 3,761
Quote:

The textured surface is really nice. I thought I would hate it but it's kind of classy/deluxe and helps with the grip, in fact now that I have it in hand I love the textured finish. It's less marbled looking than I thought it would be, it's more black then black and white/grey.

Ha ha, I thought I would hate it too, it looked quite different in the photos. But in reality the granite appearance is very very subtle and I don't notice it at all, plus it feels nice and secure in my hands.

Quote:

I agree with Julie, the kenwood media keg I had for a while would probably be the most close to the sound, but with less hiss and wider soundstage.

The bigger soundstage makes it much easier to listen to at louder volumes... and for longer periods, it's not tiring at all. The Kenwood was exhausting sometimes. The Sony is addictive
ksc75smile.gif

May 25, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #552 of 3,761
Quote:

The textured surface is really nice. I thought I would hate it but it's kind of classy/deluxe and helps with the grip, in fact now that I have it in hand I love the textured finish. It's less marbled looking than I thought it would be, it's more black then black and white/grey. If you want the best sound quality just break down and get the X. I have/had the s639, a818, a728 and the X is just in a different class SQ wise. It took me a couple of days to wrap my head around the sound as it's presented different than my other daps. All my other daps sound like they have a layer of something over the sound after some quality time with the X. It's that clear and dynamic. When I heard people say it's warm, but walkingman said it sounded clearer the n the s639 and Sooz said it had better treble the a829. I thought how can that be? Warm in my head means , good deep bass and softer treble- definitly not the case with the X. I consider the clip to be warm and the X doesn't sound like the clip
biggrin.gif
I do consider it warm as in deep good bass, but it's more clear and detailed than my d2+ which I consider on the "cold" side

I agree with Julie, the kenwood media keg I had for a while would probably be the most close to the sound, but with less hiss and wider soundstage. Less hiss than d2+ also.

Wow!

Cheers hatepopupads, that makes me very intrigued knowing that comparison...

can i really ignore it at this price then, can't get any cheaper for a while i would'nt of thought? and Play.com have had a tendency of putting the price back up once a batch of stock has gone and they get more back in like the Sony T900 digital camera recently, which was £240 in a colour which is not officially for the UK and is now back up to £300 on back order and the Sony price is around £380! so if i don't get it now at this price war with Amazon i might just end up regretting it again!

Is there going to be a docking/sync station for it other than that expensive one that can record from Bravia tv's does anyone know as the cradle usually has the line out for these players as i want to put it through my Naim headline amp with my AKG 702's.
k701smile.gif

May 25, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #553 of 3,761
I was going to buy the the black ice version, but cannot justify a £200 premium over the so called standard version. Personally i think the standard version looks better!

Im looking forward to trying out the player with my JVC FX500's...I think a lot of people are keen to find out if there is a difference between these an the FX1000...

May 25, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #555 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrinceOfEgypt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was going to buy the the black ice version, but cannot justify a £200 premium over the so called standard version. Personally i think the standard version looks better!

Im looking forward to trying out the player with my JVC FX500's...I think a lot of people are keen to find out if there is a difference between these an the FX1000...

I just think they should of done the standard player in more finishes which includes the original version as japan call it the "black ice"
I would still prefer this version, but don't think my will can hold out any longer, but sod's law i do get it in a month or so they will anounce more finishes to be released, that usually happens to me : ( lol

Side stepping a bit, first i heard of these JVC FX500 & 1000 was on this thread and they look pretty damn cool, can someone quickly just tell me what they are like to the Shure E500 & Senn IE8's and out of those ones seem to be best with the X1060 player for synergy?
I for some reason after hours of chpping and changing still prefer my E500's over the IE8's!

Still have not hit the check out cart yet for the X-series! sweaty palms,
wonder if i would get a serial number still under 2,800??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back