I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
May 16, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #166 of 3,761
5mw per channel?
frown.gif

May 16, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #167 of 3,761
I cannot see anything on the unit or packaging that says where they are made, so we only have soozieq's info from the sonyinsider that these are from Japan...

Well, listening to my very first track... Wow... this takes the JVC earphones to a whole different level - but, thats all I'm saying... for now
smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
5mw per channel?
frown.gif

If it is, its the most generous 5mw p/ch that I've ever heard!

...Although... If this really is a JPN version, then that will mean that this will be more powerful than the EU versions which are volume / power capped...

May 16, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #169 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cannot see anything on the unit or packaging that says where they are made, so we only have soozieq's info from the sonyinsider that these are from Japan...

Well, listening to my very first track... Wow... this takes the JVC earphones to a whole different level - but, thats all I'm saying... for now
smily_headphones1.gif
If it is, its the most generous 5mw p/ch that I've ever heard!

...Although... If this really is a JPN version, then that will mean that this will be more powerful than the EU versions which are volume / power capped...

Sounds very promising
icon10.gif
I thought the newer UK sonys weren't volume capped? My UK S series were as loud as the US units.

May 16, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #170 of 3,761
Well,

Whilst I cannot factor in burn in after 5-10 minutes, I can say that - with the JVC 'phones at least, the seperation / delicacy is sublime, absolutely without a shadow of a doubt the best I have heard from portable gear.

Straight away, without hesitation - I have changed my 'portable rig' in my signature
smily_headphones1.gif

I will do a comparison a bit later on, when I have at least a couple of hours on this, between the X1000, A818 and Zune 30
smily_headphones1.gif

May 16, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #171 of 3,761
Duncan-
I look forward to more comparisons and impressions. Very encouraging that it's sound quality is so noticeable right away....

May 16, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #172 of 3,761
Sony made really great improvements lately on their mp3 players :)
cannot go back to cowon since the A808, despite I tried the iaudio 7 and more recently the s9!
Thanks duncan for the info, I didnt see the post, did she call amazon to know that?

May 16, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #174 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Duncan-
I look forward to more comparisons and impressions. Very encouraging that it's sound quality is so noticeable right away....

X2, me and cn11 are chomping at the bit so to speak
darthsmile.gif
I wish we had teleporters. This is good news indeed, Duncan you were right on the money with the IE8. Might have to check out those JVC'S
smily_headphones1.gif

May 16, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #175 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
heh, well, i'm 144... so - you beat me, but - would definitely lead me to believe that we're from the first batch
biggrin.gif

Yup, i'll post early impressions a bit later on
smily_headphones1.gif

frown.gif
bleh mine is above 1000!
mad.gif

May 16, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #176 of 3,761
Duncan, a tragedy occurred. I took my X out into the light... and looked at the serial number again, and it's 406 not 106... I can't possibly enjoy it now that I know yours is newer
atsmile.gif

Poppy - it doesn't say where they're made. All the Sony Insider admin said was that the first 2800 were being dispatched from Japan, and the next 15,000 were being dispatched from Europe. Oh, and Walkmans haven't been volume capped in the UK since the S700 I think. It was a French thing anyway, but we all got punished back then
mad.gif
- maybe the French versions are still volume capped?

And as far as power is concerned, Sony always has weak specs on paper, but apart from the 'B' series, I've never had any problem with them. And the X is not weak!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a bully boy!

EDIT: walkingman, so long as yours is anything under 2800 - it's from the first batch, if Sony Insider is correct
smily_headphones1.gif

May 16, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #177 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by mosso2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony made really great improvements lately on their mp3 players :)
cannot go back to cowon since the A808, despite I tried the iaudio 7 and more recently the s9!
Thanks duncan for the info, I didnt see the post,
did she call amazon to know that?

Yes, she did!

May 16, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #178 of 3,761
Mine's well within below 1100.
smily_headphones1.gif

As for volume capping, Soozieq is right, all UK Walkmans were no longer volume capped since the NWZ models. Even if they are, you can override the settings via the service mode area.

Speaking of which, anyone found a way to get into the service mode area yet?

May 16, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #179 of 3,761
Further thanks from me for the early thoughts filtering through. The majority seem to be pretty pleased with the SQ - at least as good as S series ?? But I saw one poster on AVforums mentions some hiss. I dont know what phones are being used ( and I'm wondering about the various noise cancelling settings too) BUT can anyone comment re hiss please? For info - I used to get quite a lot with Ulimate Ears iems and the 828. But Etymotics (higher impedance) would be much less. I'm assuming that using the suppied NC phones should match well - and so no hiss?! Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back