I have a $300 budget for a new pair of headphones, can I get some help deciding on a pair?
Sep 22, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #46 of 56
Well i have not tried the D2000s i just went on research spree on Head-Fi / Inner Fidelity. Tyl says they're more balanced than as you are describing them, maybe you had bad batch? or maybe some of your mods messed with the sound in a weird way.

The HP150 is the new version of the HP100, i would get the newer one, generally same sound just some action on their feedback. Can find for same price.

Personally I have the ATH-PRO700MK2s, they sound good. No they are not bassy like a lot of people say, it just has one hell of an amazing Sub-bass, I can hear down to 15 Hz without distortion or weird sounds on my pair. though they do have a ~2dB / 100~110 Hz hump, that is fixed with 4 Jumbo Cotton balls stuffed into each ear cup. Oh I also replaced the (ear shredding) bad ear pads with Gel Pads. I can find them for ~$150 here. then ~$25 for the new ear pads.

Sep 22, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #48 of 56
I can safely say that the NAD HP50 are the best closed back headphone I've ever heard and are the endgame closed back for me.  Good luck!

Sep 22, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #49 of 56
  Well i have not tried the D2000s i just went on research spree on Head-Fi / Inner Fidelity. Tyl says they're more balanced than as you are describing them, maybe you had bad batch? or maybe some of your mods messed with the sound in a weird way.

No, dude if you haven't heard a headphone don't start knocking on those of us that have because what you "read" on the internet doesn't match what those of us who've heard it are saying. The reality is, the D2k is a dark headphone, it's got a good bit of Bass Decay, which isn't bad. N a some what recessed Treble 

That and Tyl's article is rather old, at the time they wrote it they where pretty balanced compared to the rest of the market. Let's also keep in mind Tyl's paid to write reviews. So there will be at times a more positive spin that what's really there. Tyl brings out a lot of the positives, from my tastes my Modded D2k had good sound stage, great detail retrival and really nice sub bass, the issue though was outside of EDM, I didn't feel it was balanced enough. For Rock, Jazz classical, orchestral and the like it had to much bass for my tastes that's with the mods. My go to headphone for travel is a modded W1000x, at home it's my HE 4. So unlike you, I've actually  heard it.

My experince though was with a modded D2k, and to be totally honest. The very best I heard from my D2k was balanced out of my NFB 10ES2, which is a very bright and Dry amp. Out of that Amp it was really very very balanced sounding!  How ever when you pair it with a darker source, or an amp with more distortion and color it loses some of that balanced. There for, I would opt again'st getting a Stock D2k as in stock form out of lower end gear it's pretty colored. An go for the HP 150

Now If you have $700 dollars lying around to purchase a fully balanced Amp and dac, and you also have another $500 to get your D2k Modded, then I would HIGHLY recommend it. As when modded and paired with a very transparent source it's a brillant can to listen to 

Although, that might be an option for you, start with the stock D2k with all it's excessive color and decay and slowly start modding it. I'd Start with the Drivers, dampen your plastic Cups, get the Lawton Angled Pads, then maybe Save up for some Martin Custom Audio Wood Cups, then finally get a balanced dac and amp and balanced cable for the D2k, that's one very good and some what long term option.

If that option isn't something you think you'll do, then HP 150 is a smart choice as it will sound great out of all sorts of high and low end sources. 

Sep 22, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #50 of 56
First of all If I offended you somehow, I am sorry, I was offering a possibility to a conflict in words that I have gathered. Yea I have not heard them, but others have, and shared reviews. Kinda what reviews are good for. Now I admit I did not look at Dates and consider the market at the time (something I will be doing in the future)

But I do wanna say that I have heard a pretty good collection of headphones, some of the higher end ones too. Guy across the street of me, has room dedicated to audio. DACs, AMPs, But mostly headphones. And I get to try some of them from time to time. If he does not have a headphone or ETC I'm looking into, I gotta resort to reviews.

I can safely say the NAD VISO HP50s are fantastic headphones, but still have some weaknesses. Because I got to listen to them for a couple of days. And If I'm recommending something it will be distinguishable if I'm going off reviews, like linking and referring to another's words. Or If I actually got a listen, and I'd provide a summary review of my experience, or something of the sort.

I just wanna say, you didn't need to be... unfriendly about that. Could of just said "Nah Tyl's review is old, Headphone market improving happened. Not to mention he could be smudging his review for money." And that would've been the end of it.

If you wanna see the distinct difference of me posting my words VS another's words, look at the same post you quoted. At the bottom I'm stating my preference of my day-to-day headphone, and what I think of it. Then look at my post offering the D2000s where I link to Tyl' review...

Sep 22, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #51 of 56
I owned d2k b4 .. n d7k now,
Just slapped on the jmoneypads n enjoy.
My audiogd amp on high gain
controlled these 2 beauties like slaves...:p

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #52 of 56
I owned d2k b4 .. n d7k now,
Just slapped on the jmoneypads n enjoy.
My audiogd amp on high gain
controlled these 2 beauties like slaves...
tongue.gif

Yah, I want a D7k my self q.q 

Sep 23, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #53 of 56
I'm kind of in the same boat as OP, and I can't decide on the amp/dac combo. The only difference is that I don't mind open headphones and I'm actually looking at the K712. My primary use for them would be single player gaming (I'm looking for immersion  and NOT competitive advantage) with a some music. Which DAC/amp combo would you kind gents recommend for the K712 and why?

I'm debating between:

1. O2+ODAC 

2. M or Vali + M 

3. Fiio E10k

4. Xonar Essence STX dedicated sound card + a good amp

[size=x-small]ANY input would be [/size]greatly[size=x-small] appreciated![/size]

Sep 23, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #54 of 56
For immersion, the Phillips X1's are a better bet. For the K712, if you don't use Dolby processing or anything, I'd go with option 1 or 2. The AKG's need a bit more power than average.

Sep 23, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #56 of 56
Bass quantity and a warmer sound - more engaging IMHO. Not as much extension, clarity, or soundstage... but also cheaper and don't need an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back