I have a $300 budget for a new pair of headphones, can I get some help deciding on a pair?
Sep 18, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #17 of 56
What are you talking about? It is fairly linear. Except for the dip in the 1K to 2K region, it's +/-3db response from 40hz up to over 10Khz. Except for that little dip, it's measures as well as the DT880s, which are also considered a neutral class of headphone.

So OP, having tried the Sound Magic HP 100 [a Shiny Silver Ball verision of the 150] 

I'm with him. It's a great sounding headphone and I eagerly recommend it over amything else in the Closed Back Range, I tried the AKG K550 and the fit around my ears ruined the sound, the K545 seems to have the same issue, the Audio Technica 40mm W series isn't very impressive imo and while I think the Mad Dogs are really very good headphones, they do perform best with an amp. Meaning you spend $300 on a headphone, run it out your cell phone and it sounds about as good as a $100 pair of KODD DJ 100s, where as you take taht Mad Dog, and feed it with something like a iBasso PB2 [which Dan him self recommends] the Mad Dog then performs at it's best

So again, the HP 150 is a very good option! The Fit is simple, it doesn't need an amp and sonically it's top notch!

If you want an Open Back, the X1 or the DT 990 are both good options, the DT 990 is BRIGHT and has lots of bass and requires an amp but has a awesome sound stage, where as teh X1 [from what I've read] is darker and doesn't need an amp.

I liked the HP 100 and DT 990 when I had them both, so the choice is up to you, if you want Open or Closed, how ever if u get the DT 990 Pro 250, which is like $160 new, you'll need an amp like the Fiio E11 [$59] to get the best out of it 

Sep 19, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #18 of 56
Well, I haven't listened to a lot of different headphones but bought the NAD VISO HP50's based on Tyll Hertsens' recommendation on Innerfidelity, paired them with a 2nd Gen Ipod Touch and a Fiio X12 - and boy, am I ever happy with that purchase.

Sep 19, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #20 of 56
Thank you for all of the input guys! I'll definitely take a look at the Soundmagic, but I'm still leaning towards the MD because it's a pair of headphones that I can "grow into". As I am planning on getting an amp/DAC (probably either the Magni/Modi, O2+ODAC, or Aune T1 MK.2), I think I should be fine. I hope.

I want to get something that I won't want to upgrade right away, if you catch my drift :wink:

Sep 20, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #22 of 56
Definitely give the Yamaha 220s a try. They are exceptional for the money and easily best the AKG550 (I have both) and for a closed HP provide an excellent listening experience.

They also fit your description very well - neutral with a slight bass emphasis. They suit all music types and do improve with DAC/Amplification so will 'grow'

I've never heard the NAD but it seems they are very close to the Yamahas though the latter can be picked up pretty cheaply.

I'd read the reviews on here and elsewhere and definitely give them an audition.

Oh - leakage is pretty good on them as is isolation.

Good luck

Sep 20, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #25 of 56
I highly recommend the ultrasone pro 900 for your needs, they're closed and not too noisy and the bass is amazing. Try to find them used for a good deal, should be 300-350$ and well worth it.

I strongly consider you avoid the PRO 900, it was $300 new about 2-3 years ago and back then it was worth it, today spending $300 on a used headphone like the Pro 900 isn't a good buy any more, the Mad Dog can go for as little as $200 used, and I think it's going to scale and grow with you much more than the Pro 900, which is a very bass heavy headphone. It's a sound signiture that's not perfect for everything. Where as something like teh Mad Dog or the Sound Magic are much more balanced and will provide a better pairing with multiple genres 

Sep 20, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #26 of 56
Definitely give the Yamaha 220s a try. They are exceptional for the money and easily best the AKG550 (I have both) and for a closed HP provide an excellent listening experience.

They also fit your description very well - neutral with a slight bass emphasis. They suit all music types and do improve with DAC/Amplification so will 'grow'

I've never heard the NAD but it seems they are very close to the Yamahas though the latter can be picked up pretty cheaply.

I'd read the reviews on here and elsewhere and definitely give them an audition.

Oh - leakage is pretty good on them as is isolation.

Good luck

i believe this guy's recommendation... :p
dun think the Nad will catch this Yamaha when the music starts to get more complexxx.

( try not to touch the Pro900...unless u are game on tweaking it.  
Maddog is darkersounding...bass attack isnt the best..
hmmm it might bother u later ...as your taste changed...iffy.)

Sep 20, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #27 of 56

i believe this guy's recommendation... :p
dun think the Nad will catch this Yamaha when the music starts to get more complexxx.

( try not to touch the Pro900...unless u are game on tweaking it.  
Maddog is darkersounding...bass attack isnt the best..
hmmm it might bother u later ...as your taste changed...iffy.)

I never found the bass attack on the Mad Dog to be to bad, but the best part of the mad dog is you can UPGRADE THEM! Mr Speakers has an upgrade program. So when you get to the point that you want something more, send em pack in and for like $200 or so bucks you get a more heaviliy modded and better sounding can! Which btw is a very good deal, most ppl with $300 new cans, sell them for $200 then fork over $350 or so dollars to actually upgrade, where as with a Mad Dog you can either get the Mad Dog Pro or the Alpha Dog, for less money and trouble then it would cost to sell and purchase another can!

Sep 21, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #29 of 56
I never found the bass attack on the Mad Dog to be to bad, but the best part of the mad dog is you can UPGRADE THEM! Mr Speakers has an upgrade program. So when you get to the point that you want something more, send em pack in and for like $200 or so bucks you get a more heaviliy modded and better sounding can! Which btw is a very good deal, most ppl with $300 new cans, sell them for $200 then fork over $350 or so dollars to actually upgrade, where as with a Mad Dog you can either get the Mad Dog Pro or the Alpha Dog, for less money and trouble then it would cost to sell and purchase another can!

It's nice to hear more good things about the MD's, I ended up ordering them. Now to find the proper amp/DAC setup...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back