I have $4,500 for a full headphone setup
Feb 3, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #17 of 62
Remember if you get an Utopia used, the warranty will not transfer. I'd still consider one used if a good price. ($2,500 or less). Another great one would be the LCD 4. Then maybe add an Audio gd master 11 or something similar?

I agree with trying stuff out at a store or people with nice equipment. Do a lot of reading on here. If you don't care about much bass, a lot of people like the hd800. And you would have a large budget for dac and amp left

Feb 3, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #18 of 62
So I have $4,500 to spend on a pair of headphones, an amp and a dac. I’ve messed around with a bunch of low fi and midfi and want to go all the way this time.
I was planning on going with the Autuer Teak from ZMF with a Soekris 1541. I feel that this may be pointless as I would most likely shoot to get a stand alone amp to work with the Soekris 1541s DAC.

Can anyone help give m some recommendations? What would you buy with $4,500? Does the whole budget need to be spent? Dac with integrated amp or have both separated from each other? What amps and DACs are known to have synergy? I’m also open to headphone recommendations too! Thank you in advance

I'm partial to my own meet setup for around what your wanting to spend.

mfsl gold (15cd's from a local seller, around $280)
sony cdp-xa7es ($750 from the mart)
sony se-p900 eq ($1750 eBay)
ecp dsha-2 (Part of a trade but $1750 is a good guess imo.)
sennheiser hd-800 ($1k demo a few years ago from TTVJ)

Wifi proof for meets. I have a das-r1 dac and c-2301 preamp at home. No tubes required.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #19 of 62
Indeed, listen, and then listen some more. However, will one headphone (even if it's as high end as they come) fulfill all your needs? Some excel in other ways than other, and maybe it's worth thinking about opting for two headphones with different strengths. For example, a Sennheiser HD800 for its incredible sound stage and imaging and then an Audeze LCD-3 for it's more romantic and warmer sound.

Probably can get both of these with plenty money to spend on a good amp/DAC combination such as a Schiit Gungnir Multibit and Mjolnir 2 combination.

Used, these should easily land you under $4,500, and you could invest in some upgraded cables and tubes.

If you really want to go as high end as possible, I'd try to find an Audeze LCD-4 used. But, will it be worth the expense over an LCD-3, with the option to switch to another headphone if you so desire?

Good luck

Feb 3, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #20 of 62
Rather than recommending a specific headphone, I suggest you listen to samples of all three types of headphones, that is:
1) dynamic - HD600/650, HD800, Utopia
2) planar - HiFiMan, Audeze, MrSpeakers
3) electrostatic - primarily Stax

Take a look at the headphones that are or were on the InnerFidelity website for good starting suggestions. Decide what you like in terms of the above, then look at headphone amps for whichever headphone you prefer.

Feb 3, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #21 of 62
Indeed, listen, and then listen some more. However, will one headphone (even if it's as high end as they come) fulfill all your needs? Some excel in other ways than other, and maybe it's worth thinking about opting for two headphones with different strengths. For example, a Sennheiser HD800 for its incredible sound stage and imaging and then an Audeze LCD-3 for it's more romantic and warmer sound.

Probably can get both of these with plenty money to spend on a good amp/DAC combination such as a Schiit Gungnir Multibit and Mjolnir 2 combination.

Used, these should easily land you under $4,500, and you could invest in some upgraded cables and tubes.

If you really want to go as high end as possible, I'd try to find an Audeze LCD-4 used. But, will it be worth the expense over an LCD-3, with the option to switch to another headphone if you so desire?

Good luck
Owned both. Focal Clear are right in the middle.

Feb 5, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #22 of 62
I wouldn’t drop such money once and for all. I made such a mistake buying hd800s as my first high end can. More expensive thing is not necessarily better in the audio world.
And it just takes some time to discover what you really like. I would take a slow start. Just start from cheaper but very solid offerings like lcd2c, aeon flow open, clear. I believe they are just enjoyable enough to satisfy your ears.

Feb 5, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #23 of 62
I agree with the posts saying TOTL Headphone + Hugo 2. That will give you a system that sounds great with no need for a separate amp.

Feb 5, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #24 of 62
I agree with the posts saying TOTL Headphone + Hugo 2. That will give you a system that sounds great with no need for a separate amp.
Well just make sure it's efficient... I wouldn't do like a Hugo 2 and LCD-4 for example, the 4 needs more juice, but a Utopia works great.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #26 of 62
Utopia when its on sale + Violectric V280 + Topping DX 7 Dac = Audio Bliss.
Down the line u can upgrade dac and thats it. Utopia + Violectric balanced high end amps are fantastic pairing!!! U wont hear things like bass lacking, too aggressive and upfront or too analytical with this pairing. You will just get all the details in the world, but not in your face like with some other amps, Dynamics will increase even more, smoothness and authority will improve! I have V280 + HD800S, but i absolutely loved Utopia with either Dave or with V280.
Good luck choosing right path.
Only side of Utopia where it lacks is soundstage, other than that is great!
Other headphones have more disadvantages.

Feb 9, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #27 of 62
You have so many options at the price point. I would pick a headphone that is your favourite out of the ones you try first, and then worry about the amp/DAC situation. What headphones are you looking at apart from the Auteur?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back