I have $250 to spend on 2.0 computer speakers. Help me spend it.
May 10, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #106 of 154
I received my A2's today and liked the clearer mids than my Klipsch I-Trigue 3800's. However, I really miss the bass presence. So I was looking at the AS8 powered subwoofer, but was wary of the 399 price tag. Are there any other recommendations out there to go with the A2's?

May 10, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #107 of 154
Same thing here pooMonger I have the A2's and looking for sub that has all the features of the AS8 but at a lower price tag. I like that it has a high level minijack in-out which is something very rare for powered subs I can't find any other besides the microvee which is $$$$$.

May 12, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #108 of 154
I purchased my pair of A2's last week. The sound is very clean, natural and smooth. Sound stage is wider compared to my Logitech Z-2300. The highs and mids are great, but the bass is lacking compared the Logitech.

I hooked up the A2's to my DAC's RCA outputs, then I hooked up the Logitech sub to the headphone out and disconnected the Logitech satellites. At first, it sounded pretty good, wider sound stage, better mids/highs combined with the Logitech sub's strong bass. After a while, I noticed that the "thump", though satisfying was a bit unclear. Using only the A2's, the bass was lacking but I could clearly hear the instrument playing the low range sound.

I'll probably get around to writing a review when I get the time.

May 12, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #109 of 154
those who have experienced both A2 and A5... is the bass output that much more on the A5? will the A5 be OK without a sub?

as a reference point: I currently have the cheap insignia bookshelves powered with a decent HT amp =P and the bass is almost enough for me...

May 12, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #110 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
those who have experienced both A2 and A5... is the bass output that much more on the A5? will the A5 be OK without a sub?

as a reference point: I currently have the cheap insignia bookshelves powered with a decent HT amp =P and the bass is almost enough for me...

I've listened to the A5's in store, they might have produced more bass but it wasn't memorable compared to the A2's. I think for a good amount of bass, you would need a sub. Both the A2's and A5's would probably produce the bass you want if the Insignia's were enough. They are known to produce quite a bit of bass for what they are, 2.0 speakers.

YouTube - Audio Engine A2 Bass Ports Rock

May 12, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #111 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheezies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've listened to the A5's in store, they might have produced more bass but it wasn't memorable compared to the A2's. I think for a good amount of bass, you would need a sub. Both the A2's and A5's would probably produce the bass you want if the Insignia's were enough. They are known to produce quite a bit of bass for what they are, 2.0 speakers.

YouTube - Audio Engine A2 Bass Ports Rock

thanks for the input. now i must decide if i can handle the A5's in my small room/desk area.
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #112 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the input. now i must decide if i can handle the A5's in my small room/desk area.
biggrin.gif

Make sure you have enough space from the wall, the A5's have their bass ports on the back.

May 12, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #113 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I finally received my pair of used M-Audio BX5A's that I got off ebay and I gotta say they're not that bad. The highs are seriously great, the mids are ok and the bass is passable. They suck at anything complex and at anything that requires massive bass. I'm using them with my m^3 as a preamp and that seemed to bring the bass out a little more but I'm pretty happy
smily_headphones1.gif

well kind of an update. I was using this with my emu/m^3 combo for a while then changed to a ipod/mini^3 combo and I have to say, the source is really important to make the m-audio's sound decent

May 14, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #115 of 154
for anyone with the A2's; how do you guys switch between speakers and headphones (if you do at all)? I want to use these speakers for movies, but I also use the system to play games a lot where I'd rather use headphones. any suggestions on how to set this up without having to replug everything in the back every time I want to switch setups?

May 14, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #116 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by techniqu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for anyone with the A2's; how do you guys switch between speakers and headphones (if you do at all)?

I'm using a spare run-of-the-mill headphone splitter like this to allow me to have a line out close to the speaker. If you're running your speakers off a headphone out, then you have a headphone out close to the speakers. It's best to leave the headphone unplugged while the speakers are being used but it isn't necessary vice versa.

May 14, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #117 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by techniqu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for anyone with the A2's; how do you guys switch between speakers and headphones (if you do at all)? I want to use these speakers for movies, but I also use the system to play games a lot where I'd rather use headphones. any suggestions on how to set this up without having to replug everything in the back every time I want to switch setups?

I have my speakers hooked up to the RCA outs of my USB DAC & amp combo. The DAC outputs to both headphones and RCA out at the same time.

Pacific Valve & Electric Company DIYEDEN SVDAC04

I use it to switch between my PC, and PS3 as well.

May 15, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #119 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same thing here pooMonger I have the A2's and looking for sub that has all the features of the AS8 but at a lower price tag. I like that it has a high level minijack in-out which is something very rare for powered subs I can't find any other besides the microvee which is $$$$$.

I borrowed a Velodyne VX10 from a friend...They had them on sale at Fry's last week for 124.99...10" speaker with a 100RMS A/B watt amp...Should work for a lot less than the Audioengine sub...For big box store stuff Velodyne aint bad...The VX10 aint exactly their top tier stuff but it should work well paired with Audioengine's.

I had a Yamaha YST10 or something like back in the day, paired with some Polk bookshelve speakers that I only paid like 120 bucks for that really pumped up the jam on one of my first home theather systems.

Sony also makes and cheap sub that I have heard that would probably work well for around a buck twenty five.

I will hook it up and give it a test run tomorrow...He had it paired with some M-Audio 40's if I remember correctly and it sounded good until he cranked it way up...But he is a trance guy and I really have a low tolerance for trance unless I am in the club...Listening to trance cranked up in his house with the lights turned off watching the computer sceens is not exactly my idea of a pleasurable listening enviorment.

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back