I have $250 to spend on 2.0 computer speakers. Help me spend it.
Aug 29, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #151 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by wacomme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Coredump,

The stands are nice. I also like the headphone stands. Did you make these too? Also, are you passing your sound through a DAC? If so, what are you using? Does it improve the sound? Thanks.

Michael

Hey I've been a way for a while. I bought those banana (headphone) stands off Amazon for about $16 a piece. I run the A2s through a Zero DAC and I think it is a very big improvement over the X-Fi. With the X-Fi there wasn't any seperation and things sounded kind of muddy.

Aug 29, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #152 of 154
Someone in this thread had mentioned the m-audio av40's and they look like a nice upgrade from my aging klipsch promedias 4.1. Would the AV40s sound better than what I have now? I'm also open to other similar size/price speakers but I would like something that I can purchase locally. There's a Guitar Center nearby.

Aug 29, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #153 of 154
I took the plunge and picked up a pair of M-Audio AV40's...

Wow!!! I am @#$% impressed with these. These babies are leaps and bounds better sounding than the old klipsch promedias. The bass sounds perfect to me on these: clean and punchy. I never liked the loud/boomy bass that I got from the promedias.
Anyway, I picked up these babies for $160 (/w tax) at guitar center.

Oh one more thing: I have these babies connected to my EMU 0202 USB.

Dec 11, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #154 of 154
Just want to mention after reading this I ended up getting the Yamaha HS-50M.

They're very well built and gorgeous. I have them connected to the X-DAC V3. Some thoughts on them:

- very flat response. can become fatiguing BUT:
» burning in changes that for the better
» you have high, mid and low buttons on the back of them... cut the mids and highs to make it less agressive. I found it necessary in the beginning but now I use the flat curve.

- deeeep bass is absent, you need the separate sub yamaha sells for that. however, they do have bass (upper bass i mean), just not the sort of bass you feel but the tight sort of bass you listen (like headphones...). also note that their distance relative to the wall behind and your distance to them makes a HUGE difference

- they're very directional, their angle make a big difference, as well as your distance to them: close you have little bass and wide soundstage, far away and you have much more bass but the soundstage becomes narrow (everyone is playing between the speakers). there's a 'room EQ' button in the back to play with for this.

- midrange tells you everything. it's not what I would call transparent but it's super super super CLEAR (and no, that's not 'bright' I mean).

a warm preamp could produce interesting results... if I get one I'll update.

overall, I'm very happy with them. not speakers to fall in love with but as a work tool for producers they're great and for casual, non critical listening for not very long periods they're great.

hope this helps anyone
smily_headphones1.gif

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back