I have $250 to spend on 2.0 computer speakers. Help me spend it.
May 24, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #137 of 154
the A5 arrived today... much better than my previous budget setup of an HT receiver and insignia bookshelves.

bass is cleaner, mids are smoother, the treble i dunno yet. (only been a couple of hours)

saves me space too

May 26, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #138 of 154
Hello guys,

I recently got a Macbook Pro, and I'm considering speakers(A2's). My Superfi's are too uncomfortable after a while of listening(memory wire).

Anyways, what is the most economical setup for a MBP and a pair of A2's?

I'm not too sure how it works.. seems like I need a DAC? or some people recommend the EMU 0404?

Thanks!

May 26, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #139 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefroastbeef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello guys,

I recently got a Macbook Pro, and I'm considering speakers(A2's). My Superfi's are too uncomfortable after a while of listening(memory wire).

I'm not too sure how it works.. seems like I need a DAC? or some people recommend the EMU 0404?

Thanks!

The speakers will work with just the MacBook. I use a Diyeden SVDAC04 so I can switch between my PC, PS3 and XBOX 360 (as a bonus, it also produces better sound). If you're looking for something better than your MacBook Pro's onboard sound, check out the Apogee Duet.

May 26, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #140 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefroastbeef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello guys,

Thanks!

You don't actually need anything, you can plug your A2 directly into the MBP, using the built-in soundcard's analog line out jack. The soundcard is the DAC.

But some people want to bypass the soundcard/DAC, and use their own DAC, which is why people buy a DAC and then use the MBP Digital Optical jack.

May 26, 2008 at 11:01 AM Post #141 of 154
curious if anyone has tried using a portable amp as a pre-amp/ variable output for the AE2s.
the volume knob at the rear of the speaker really kills it for me. anybody come up with any work-arounds?

May 26, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #142 of 154
Thanks alot guys for the replies, that was great help!

I guess I will start with just the A2's, then get a DAC when the upgrade bug bites. I wish the A5s were smaller, but they are too big for my liking, and I wish the A2s had the volume knob up front, what the living hell were they thinking?

What is a decent DAC for my application? The best bang for the buck? An EMU 0404?

Thanks again!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #146 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by coredump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I built some small stands for my A2s using my awesome carpentry skills.

Coredump,

The stands are nice. I also like the headphone stands. Did you make these too? Also, are you passing your sound through a DAC? If so, what are you using? Does it improve the sound? Thanks.

Michael

Aug 27, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #147 of 154
Can anyone compare the A5's with the Yamaha's HS50M? (I can audition the HS50Mbut not the A5...)

For reference, I've also been told that the HS50M are much better than M-Audio bx5a...

thanks

Aug 27, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #148 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeoVibe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone compare the A5's with the Yamaha's HS50M? (I can audition the HS50Mbut not the A5...)

For reference, I've also been told that the HS50M are much better than M-Audio bx5a...

thanks

I believe Audioengine lets you try the speakers for a trial period (though that may only be for North America?).

As for the Yamahas technically they sound better; they are bi-amplfied and feature active crossovers, the A5's feature neither.

I haven't heard either but the Yamahas being pro monitors will mean they should have a very flat response. The A5s being more of a consumer speaker wouldn't necessarily aim for such a neutral response. Where you consider better would be largely personal preference.

Aug 27, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #149 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Operandi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe Audioengine lets you try the speakers for a trial period (though that may only be for North America?).

As for the Yamahas technically they sound better; they are bi-amplfied and feature active crossovers, the A5's feature neither.

I haven't heard either but the Yamahas being pro monitors will mean they should have a very flat response. The A5s being more of a consumer speaker wouldn't necessarily aim for such a neutral response. Where you consider better would be largely personal preference.

thanks for the reply. no I can't order and then return them because I'll have to import them from the UK myself...

Good point on the yamahas. I'll be plugging whatever I choose to my musical fidelity DAC so being neutral should be good. I'll audition the yamahas anyway. I'm only lacking the comparison.

anyone else??

thanks

Aug 28, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #150 of 154
the yamahas were much better then the bx5a. the yamahas have good highs but there could be more lows. I owned the bx5a and auditioned the yamahas many times. The yamahas have a brighter presentation, with a grado-ish presentation and the bx5a have a more senn-ish presentation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back