I have $250 to spend on 2.0 computer speakers. Help me spend it.
Apr 16, 2008 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 154

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
Well, I just got a pair of M-Audio AV20 computer speakers, and they're... just OK. They do great on small acoustic stuff but get kind of befuddled on louder stuff, and they have an annoying "boxy" coloration.

OK, what did I epect for $100? Let's say I increase my budget to $250. Does that buy me something significantly better? What do you recommend?

Space is kind of limited which is why I chose the M-Audios in the first place. So, smaller is better; if they are more than 8 inches deep, that starts to become an issue.

P.S. I do not want a 2.1 system with separate sub.

P.P.S. It needs to have built-in amp, I can't be talked into buying a separate amp.
wink.gif

Thanks!

Apr 16, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #2 of 154
Don't know the model you currently have so it's impossible to rank, but maybe the Audioengine 2.0?

Apr 16, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #4 of 154
Hi guys, I looked at those, but they put the stupid volume control on the back of the damn speaker. What were they thinking?
mad.gif

Apr 16, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #5 of 154
$250 is kinda a tricky spot right between entry level high-end monitors. If you can spend $100 - 150 more I think it would go a long way.

People are always upgrading so going used you can find some sweet deals if you look around and are patient.

Apr 16, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #6 of 154
Well I think you're going to find the same volume issue in my next suggestion - the Mackies.

bookshelfspeakerslarge.jpg

Apr 16, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #7 of 154
Did you get to try the AV-40s? They would seem to have a better chance of beating the 20s for their extra size and better drivers and presumably electronics?

I'm quite happy with my DX4s, but if going again, I'd be tempted by the Audioengines. Control volume from PC, anyways, no?

Apr 16, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #8 of 154
I would have to agree...For 200 bones you cant beat the Audioengine 2's with a bat.

I had a pair of Klispch Promedia 2.1's...The horn tweeters just killed me...About 20 minutes and listener fatigue set in big time...Night and day difference between the two.

If you want audiophile sound from a very compact package they really are something you should check out.

Just read this review...To say the guy was impressed would be and understatement.

Stereophile: Audioengine 2 powered loudspeaker

Apr 16, 2008 at 9:46 AM Post #9 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Operandi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$250 is kinda a tricky spot right between entry level high-end monitors. If you can spend $100 - 150 more I think it would go a long way.

As much as I like the Audioengine 2's I did return them to buy the Audioengine 5's...Guy's were super cool...Did not give me one second of grief...I mailed them back USPS Priority on Tuesday and they processed the return Friday...Credit card was credited back Monday...Email's every step of the way...Believe me the best customer service I have ever experienced...Period...Second place is way...And I mean way back there.

I will be ordering the Audioengine 5's first thing in the morning...That being said I would certainly have to agree with Operandi...I was going to get 2 pair's of 2's (2 pair of 2's for fifty bucks more than the 5's).

But after reading the reviews I just have to have the 5's.

Audioengine A5 Powered Speaker System Review — Audioholics Home Theater Reviews and News

But for 200 bones...Fifty bucks under your budget...They are like the guy seezzz in the stereophile review..."bordering on criminal"

My jaw dropped when I did side by side comparison with my other speakers.

wink.gif

Apr 17, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #12 of 154
Does anyone know how the Audioengine 2 compares to the new Mackie monitors, HR5?

I know they retail at $150 and the OP is looking around $250, but I'd just heard interesting things about them; And Audioengine 2 at $200... If the HR5 weren't good I guess people would just spend the extra $50 for the Audioengines.

Then again one was designed for mixing and the other as a desktop speaker...

Apr 17, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #13 of 154
M-Audio BX5A?

The thing with the Audioengine 2s is that they have such a small woofer, I doubt that it'll have enough bass for rock :p

I'm trying to save up for a pair of Yamaha HS50Ms since I liked them the most (not counting the HS80M) when I went to audition monitors at guitar center
smily_headphones1.gif

oh and what I would do is use your headphone amp as a preamp so you dont have to reach around to get to the volume control all the time
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #14 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know how the Audioengine 2 compares to the new Mackie monitors, HR5?

I know they retail at $150 and the OP is looking around $250, but I'd just heard interesting things about them; And Audioengine 2 at $200... If the HR5 weren't good I guess people would just spend the extra $50 for the Audioengines.

Then again one was designed for mixing and the other as a desktop speaker...

Not much is known about them other than a few what I call pre-views...Not real reviews...They are just basically telling us what the feature set and specs are.

It will probably be a couple of week's before we have a review where they are actually tested.

MSRP is 199.00 dollars per speaker...Looks like 149.00 from musican's friend...So that is 300.00 dollars for a pair.

They do compare favorably spec wise compared to the Audioengine 5's that are priced at 349.00 shipping included from Audioengine.

The Mackie has a higer powered amplifier, better adjustablity and connectivity...Mackie makes good stuff...And since they are "studio monitors" they should be very accurate...Which usually can translate into excellent sound quality.

Audioengine 5's have been around and are known performer's...Second to none customer service...I must admit the Audioengine 2's sound quality caught me off guard...Never thought they would sound so much better to me than my other speakers.

Operandi is giving you some good advice...If you can wait 300 for a pair of the Mackies MR5's are 50 bucks over your budget...350 for the Audioengine 5's is 100 bucks over.

Spec wise pre-ordering might be a good idea...The MR5's should fly off the shelves...They should be right there with the Audioengine 5's.

Sounds like a smoking deal to me and only 50 duckies over your budget.

Apr 17, 2008 at 8:12 AM Post #15 of 154
How do you guys think Audioengine A5s sound compared to a good headphone setup?

I'm quite new to this whole audophile world and my ears aren't very sharp/distinguishing (yes I know I registered 4 years ago lol), but one thing I do know is that my A5s sound AMAZING. My only other audio setup is my UM-2/Predator combination, and I think the A5s sound far, far better than this setup (can't pinpoint why).

How much would I stand to gain over the A5 sound if I were to spend good money for a solid headphone setup? Your opinions would be key to whether or not I decide to shell out $1000-2000 for a good headphone setup
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back