I have $250 to spend on 2.0 computer speakers. Help me spend it.
May 1, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #76 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by batmanwcm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I'd be pissed if I received it like that. I'm assuming you contacted Audioengine?

I called a few times but it went to voice mail and I don't want a call back. I finally emailed them around 2:30. I might email them again with the picture.

Maybe the box got slammed hard enough in shipping to pop the speaker out. I'd hate to think it left their factory like that. It's probably just my bad luck.

May 1, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #77 of 154
Your bad luck may just turn out good...You never know with these things

wink.gif

Freaky thing to me is I dont see show they are fastened to the enclosure.

confused.gif

May 2, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #80 of 154
Well, this thread had legs.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm the OP. I ended up saving up my shekels for the Audioengine A5. I figure, if you're gonna do it, do it right. They will be here middle of next week. I will report back when they arrive. Mine are also being delivered FedEx and I surely hope they arrive in better condition than those poor A2's.
frown.gif

May 2, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #81 of 154
Their customer service seemed genuinely concerned. They tried calling me back even though I never left a message on their machine. We exchanged emails and a new pair was shipped out today with a return shipping label for the damaged set. In today's world of customer service I'd say theirs has been better than average and refreshing. The only down side is I have to wait another week to get the new A2s.

May 3, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #82 of 154
can't wait to see the impressions! if the A5s are any "good," those will be the end of the line desktop speakers ill be getting

May 4, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #83 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so are the A5 worth the money over the A2?

=D

From what I've heard, they both sound very similar with the A5's being able to hit the lower frequencies. The other thing to keep in mind is that with the A5's you have to keep them away from the wall since its bass ports are on the back, whereas the A2's have them in the front. I usually prefer my desk setups against the wall and I don't turn up the speakers too loud (about 30% on my Logitech Z-2300's) so I'll probably be grabbing the A2's.

May 5, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #84 of 154
Sorry about your wallet, but be sure NOT to use just any soundcard with the Audioengine A5. I just upgraded from a stock Creative X-Fi Xtremegamer to the EMU 0404 PCI.

Wow
eek.gif

Talk about a difference in soundstage, clarity and details.

The EMU 0404 is a huge step up from the M-Audio Revolution 5.1, most X-Fi's, motherboard audio, the IPod headphone out and plenty other sources I imagine. I now brush off sources like those like they're the devil's handiwork.

May 5, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #86 of 154
I thought about the A5s for computer speakers but since they can’t be against a wall I’d have to move them up on my desk. They’d only be about 20 inches from my ears. I figured that’d be too close to get good sound.

May 5, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #87 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by indikator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how bout the sound sig?
is it as cold as XFi?

I would say relative to the X-Fi the highs are much more prominent and present, resulting in a crisp sound. The Xtremegamer X-Fi has very weak highs in comparison, with the signature sounding muffled in comparison. The midrange is about the same, neither sound warm or all-analog. It might be a little cold if you're comparing to tube amps or vinyl. The bass is about the same, though the 0404's might be a small bit stronger and snappier with it, more so in the lower bass.

Given all this, the 0404 has much better accuracy and clarity in all bands: bass, midrange and especially the highs.

May 5, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #88 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by coredump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought about the A5s for computer speakers but since they can’t be against a wall I’d have to move them up on my desk. They’d only be about 20 inches from my ears. I figured that’d be too close to get good sound.

Yeah, that's a bit close. If you have the speakers at exactly the right level they might sound just fine (I've never used the A5's), but they are going to have a relatively small sweetspot when you are so close. Maybe look into some omni directional speaker would work well in this situation?

May 5, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #89 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, that's a bit close. If you have the speakers at exactly the right level they might sound just fine (I've never used the A5's), but they are going to have a relatively small sweetspot when you are so close. Maybe look into some omni directional speaker would work well in this situation?

Perhaps you could try the A2's, since the bass ports are on the front and because they're smaller, they'll be easier to space out.

May 6, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #90 of 154
Audiengine reviews
Audio Ideas Guide: Canada’s Hi-Fi and Home Theater Magazine -

Though I personally wouldnt trust this reviewer, because he only seems to be using an Echo Indigo soundcard,
however there is a frequency response graph.
Oh and the frequency response on the A2's is not even close to what I'd consider decent.

The Mackie MR5's look pretty sweet, especially with the two extra nobs to fiddle with, and xlr input...
But I'd rather stick with headphones until I can audition these in person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back