I have $250 to spend on 2.0 computer speakers. Help me spend it.
Apr 18, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #46 of 154
As you've already noted, the A2s scale very well with better sources. I play mine off a Duet and using a Little Dot MKIVse as a pre-amp. Good sound ensues!
biggrin.gif

I wonder why they're going back and forth with the logo? The original ones didn't have it, mine (bought late last year) do, and now it seems to have disappeared again.

Apr 18, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #47 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopstretch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As you've already noted, the A2s scale very well with better sources. I play mine off a Duet and using a Little Dot MKIVse as a pre-amp. Good sound ensues!
biggrin.gif

I wonder why they're going back and forth with the logo? The original ones didn't have it, mine (bought late last year) do, and now it seems to have disappeared again.

Yes, that sums it up. They scale very well
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know why they keep changing the design, but it's probably due to customer feedback. I was expecting to be disappointed with the looks, but I definitely am not.

Apr 19, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #49 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
argh, I dont know if to save up for the yamahas or just get the A2s or the bx5as now
frown.gif

I've never really head that many good things about the Yamahas. I'd go for KRKs or something else.

Apr 19, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #50 of 154
Quote:

argh, I dont know if to save up for the yamahas or just get the A2s or the bx5as now
frown.gif

Audioengine has a good return policy so you could return them if you don't like them. Better yet, you could buy all of the ones you are interested and then compare them and return the ones you don't like
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #51 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never really head that many good things about the Yamahas. I'd go for KRKs or something else.

I really dont get the hype for the KRKs, they were the worst sounding monitor out of all the ones Ive heard. :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMcMasterJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audioengine has a good return policy so you could return them if you don't like them. Better yet, you could buy all of the ones you are interested and then compare them and return the ones you don't like
smily_headphones1.gif

heh, I wish I had that type of money
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #52 of 154
Quote:

heh, I wish I had that type of money
smily_headphones1.gif

That's what credit cards are for
smily_headphones1.gif

Here is a picture of them on my desk. It's a little messy right now. I used to have a pair of Von Schweikert VR-1's sitting there that were at least 5-6 times bigger.

ssmall.jpg

Before:

vs3.jpg

Ok, so the before probably looked better, but it's nice that these don't take up so much space!

Apr 19, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #54 of 154
Quote:

What were you driving the VR-1s off? How would you compare the two as nearfield monitors, not that's it's apples to apples?

I was driving them with the Aura Note (CDP, amp, DAC), which was hooked up to my computer. The VR-1s were more refined and detailed, but are also a brighter sounding speaker. They're not bad as nearfield monitors, but I definitely think they are better with a little more room to breathe. They were a little overkill is this setup. I think the A2's are much more suitable and I'm happy with them.

I only had the VR-1's set up that way as a temporary solution. I'm moving into an apartment with a lot more space, but I decided to go all out and get some full size speakers instead.

Apr 19, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #55 of 154
Wow those really are tiny compared to my A5s.

And I'm gathering from this thread that my A5s would sound better through my 0404 then a headphone amp, rather than straight out of the 0404?

Apr 19, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #56 of 154
Quote:

I only had the VR-1's set up that way as a temporary solution. I'm moving into an apartment with a lot more space, but I decided to go all out and get some full size speakers instead.

Off topic, but did you stick with VS? I nearly bought some VR-2s a while back. Still sort of wonder if I missed out.

Apr 19, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #57 of 154
Quote:

Off topic, but did you stick with VS? I nearly bought some VR-2s a while back. Still sort of wonder if I missed out.

I've heard that the VR-2's are very good speakers. I haven't bought my new speakers yet since I'm going to be out of town all summer. I've been thinking about getting a pair from av123 such as the new x-statik, but I'd like to hear a pair first. I should get a chance to hear a pair of Strata Mini's pretty soon and this summer I'll probably listen to a few other brands.

Apr 19, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #58 of 154
I sent Audioengine a email last night about how to safely remove the Audioengine logo.

Checked my email around noonish...Email from Audioengine...Now that is what I call customer service...They told me they did not know of a safe way to remove the logo but they had a new batch in that did not have it.

LOL...I just bought a pair of 2's a couple of weeks ago and they had the logo...Seems these guys really have their ear to the ground.

I was amazed they sounded as good as they did...But opted out for the 5's.

Come on Fedex !!!!

Apr 19, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #59 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by cstan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i bought a pair of Tascam VL-X5's a year or so ago, and
they sound pretty good for $200-$250 - not sure how
they compare to the audioengine, but definately worth
checking out.

One thing worth thinking about is getting a pair of monitors
that have ports on the front vs the rear of the speakers
- they
will be alot less sensitive to placement to get good bass
response, whereas rear ported monitors need to be more carefully
placed.

the small NHT M-00's are nice as well, but they are more then
$250..

-carl

Yeah when I hooked up A2's I kept feeling air blowing on me and got up to turn the ceiling fan off...LOL...It was air being blown out of the ports.

Apr 20, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #60 of 154
Quote:

I just got my A2's today. They were shipped yesterday and arrived today!

Where did you order from? I'm going out of town for a week and would like to time the order so that they arrive the day I get back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back