I have $250 to spend on 2.0 computer speakers. Help me spend it.
Apr 20, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #61 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by coredump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where did you order from? I'm going out of town for a week and would like to time the order so that they arrive the day I get back.

I ordered them directly from Audioengine and used the coupon "PBC10" to get 10% off.

Apr 22, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #63 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by OblivionLord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can always spend that lovley $250 on Bose LOLOL

And get half a clock radio
biggrin.gif

Though I wouldn't mind a B&W one =)

Apr 24, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #65 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMcMasterJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered them directly from Audioengine and used the coupon "PBC10" to get 10% off.

Yep...Props to the JMcMasterJ !!!!!

I returned some A2's to get the A5's...Messed around long enough to read the reply by MasterJ and saved myself 34.90 cents.

You the MAN !!!!!!! JMcMasterJ

Thanks...I love spending money...But I like saving it just as much.

biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #67 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookem /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I returned some A2's to get the A5's...Messed around long enough to read the reply by MasterJ and saved myself 34.90 cents.

So how much better are the A5s? I though about getting them but really there is no way they would fit on my desk.

Apr 27, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #68 of 154
M-Audio BX5a.

Apr 30, 2008 at 9:07 AM Post #70 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by coredump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So how much better are the A5s? I though about getting them but really there is no way they would fit on my desk.

They both sound great with the 5's of course having lower bass response.

Both are very accurate and really shine when playing compressed audio.

The 2's are fairly directional...Sound great on your desk...Much more narrowed sweet spot than the 5's.

I have the 5's setup on a couple of wooden bar stools 2 feet from the wall about 8' and they rock...Room is about 20' by 30'...I am going to Guitar Center tomorrow and buy some MoPads and look around for suitable inexpensive stands.

I do not consider myself an educated listener but they beat the hell out of any computer speaker I have ever owned and I have owned pretty much all the mainstream computer stuff out there at one time or another.

Night and day difference as far as a more natural, accurate sound...Have not really played them very loud as of yet...But they sound great to me...Especially following a pair of ProMedia 2.1's that listener fatigue for me set in after about 20 or 30 minutes.

I like em...That being said my next step is to buy a DAC/T-Amp and pair that with a nice set of old Polk bookshelf speakers sitting in the closet...That seems the logical direction from what I can gather from hanging around here...But for now...I could not be happier with the A5's.

Apr 30, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #74 of 154
Wow, I'd be pissed if I received it like that. I'm assuming you contacted Audioengine?

May 1, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #75 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like em...That being said my next step is to buy a DAC/T-Amp and pair that with a nice set of old Polk bookshelf speakers sitting in the closet...That seems the logical direction from what I can gather from hanging around here...But for now...I could not be happier with the A5's.

Unless they are some top-end Polks I'm not sure that would be an improvement.

It would make for an interesting comparison though. I used to think the Audioengines were overpriced until I saw the internal build quality of their crossover and integrated amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back