I hate my dt880's. I love my dt880's.
Mar 9, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #16 of 23

Quote:
I love my 880s on my LD Mk IV SE! No sibilant highs here.

Yep.  The MKIVse is a great amp for taming sibilant material.

I also recommend the Sennheiser HD600(or HD580 if you can find a minty used pair.  FYI there is a new pair on the Bay right now).  They are a very uncolored and transparent cans, probably more-so than any other in their price range.

Mar 9, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #17 of 23
We are listening to DT880 + amp + DAC + source.  I have never had "harsh" issue with any of my DT880 (I used to have three, DT880/250, DT880/600, DT880/600 balanced) as soon as my DAC and amp were above certain level. 

If you love the details of DT880, then HD600 may just not do it for you (as the experience I had).  In you case, I suspect that a better DAC and amp may help a lot.  DT880 is a phone worth keeping.  Comparing to T1, it only has something less (bass, details, and imaging) not more (e.g. brightness).

EDIT: And I only listen to FLAC.

Mar 9, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #18 of 23

Quote:
We are listening to DT880 + amp + DAC + source.  I have never had "harsh" issue with any of my DT880 (I used to have three, DT880/250, DT880/600, DT880/600 balanced) as soon as my DAC and amp were above certain level. 

If you love the details of DT880, then HD600 may just not do it for you (as the experience I had).  In you case, I suspect that a better DAC and amp may help a lot.  DT880 is a phone worth keeping.  Comparing to T1, it only has something less (bass, details, and imaging) not more (e.g. brightness).

Yes this is definitely what I feel as well. I am convinced that the Fiio E7/E9 works great as a dac/amp because when I use Electri-Q to flatten the frequency response of the dt880 it sounds amazing! The problem is that it sounds amazing only on Foobar2k. What I need is for it to sound amazing on all of windows.

I have been looking into external equalizers or as someone suggested to expand my mp3/flac music collection so I have to rely less on internet radio.

Mar 9, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #19 of 23
I got it working on a Mac guys!! WOOOHOOO!! A parametric equalizer that works for all audio which means internet radio too! Here's the money post:

http://forums.macworld.com/index.php?/topic/98254-sound-equalizer-for-the-system/page__st__14

Mar 9, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #20 of 23

Quote:

I guess this was a typo? I just got my DT880s today, and my experience is exactly the opposite.  Bass is tight but slighly lacking, mids are clearly pronounced, and treble's too much.

On a different note, what would be an ideal amp for this? right now I am using audinst which i used to pair it with m50s. i am thinking about going for lovely cube--bcl clone or bcl itself. Thoughts?

I take back what I said.  I don't find the mids veiled, and the bass is borderline too much impact for me, and no sibilant highs.  I just wasn't used to the midrange especially coming from a pair of IEMs with forwarded mids.

Seems like some issues with the lack of bass and harsh treble is coming from insufficient amps.  Mine has 4W output so definitely not an issue here, although I don't find an issue with my portable player either.

Mar 9, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #21 of 23
For me the DT880 is light on the bass, has a slightly recessed midband, with prominent yet smooth highs. Everyone here's different;y though :)

I would also say the HD600 is worth a look. They have rolled highs that are so smooth, a very full bodied midband, and nice bass that's tight with good impact. Also the HD600 has more bass than the DT880. They sound totally different from each other.

Mar 9, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #22 of 23
Well if you look at the frequency curve for the dt880 then it quite obviously has regions of bias (the highs 5k-9k) and its a little weak on bass. If your amp is fixing these issues its probably correcting the frequency curve, compensating for the dt880's signature. In other words it is coloring the sound. The Fiio E9 that I have is sufficiently powerful to drive the dt880's but doesn't color the sound in a way so as to flatten the dt880's frequency curve. That's why I needed an equalizer and thank god I found one! Frankly with an equalizer the dt880 becomes one of the best cans ever because it is naturally so detailed all you need to do is tweak it to your preferences.

Mar 9, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #23 of 23
The DT880's can be bad with really poor recorded material for sure. If the stuff I listen to is bright I usually dial down the treble a few notches OR just lower my listening volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back