I Don't Understand You Subjective Guys
Aug 1, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #424 of 861
Quote:
These are the types of folks who back the so called objectivists stance, while the only ones who support the subjectivist side are hobbyist tinkers on head-fi.

Is Nelson Pass a "hobbyist tinkerer" then? 

I would say the only people who divide things into subjectivism and objectivism are arrogant kids on head-fi

Aug 1, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #426 of 861
Quote:

Is Nelson Pass a "hobbyist tinkerer" then? 

I would say the only people who divide things into subjectivism and objectivism are arrogant kids on head-fi

The subjectivism/objectivism categorization is used only for convenience.  Perhaps some don't fit neatly into one category and that's fine, but I assume most understand what I mean.  As for Nelson Pass, you would have to ask him how he views himself, I don't know.

Aug 1, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #428 of 861
Some in this thread seem more Hobbesian than hobbyist.

Concur. I for one welcome our new Objectivist overlords. Slide rules and K701s for all.

Aug 1, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #429 of 861
Quote:
I apologize if anyone feels "pissed on," that was not my intent. 

OK.
And your qualifications are???

Aug 1, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #432 of 861
Quote:
Nelson does have long experience in designing audio equipment, commercial success

and has in these later years turned towards "minimalist" designs - but if you actually read his Pass Labs Zen Amp and other articles you will find he continually compares versions of his designs on nonlinear distortion measures - usually reducing nonlinear distortion as the designs "advance"

he has awsome device knowledge and practical audio experience

however he has a Physics degree and is not a deeply competent signals/feedback educated EE as his wrong headed article on feedback proves - when pressed had to admit he exaggerated to support a preconceived "anti-feedback" position pandering to the target audience

Fair enough.  I have noticed that some of Nelson Pass's papers are really aimed at the audiophile, not the scientist or engineer.

I could have also mentioned John Westlake, Keith Johnson, or many other renowned amp designers.

Basically, my point is, until we all design and bring to market some commercially successful audio designs, we really don't know what we are talking about.

Maybe someday I will start a new thread in the Science Forum:

"I Don't Understand You Anti-Feedback Guys"

Aug 1, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #433 of 861
Quote:
Qualifications for what?

You asked Purrin what is qualifications are, a few of us have listed ours.
You are qualified to discuss:
real estate?
low German?
fine wine?
exotic cars?
audio? 
based on what experience and qualifcations?

Aug 1, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #434 of 861
I'm not insulting anyone, I'm pointing out the ridiculousness of these arguments.  I don't care what you believe or what you do. 

I've voiced my opinion on this in the past. Doesn't matter to me if a person believes that wearing an orange tutu gives them tighter bass, to each their own. Many around here know my stance on cabling, but I see no reason to evangelize to the believers. If someone directly asks your opinion, give it. Otherwise, live and let live.

Aug 1, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #435 of 861
In terms of qualifications, for those who are new or simply do not know, I should probably state that my hobby is to measure headphones when I'm not listening to them. These measurements are assembled in one place on the Internet somewhere.

I neither consider myself a subjectivist or objectivist. I like measurements when available, and I am particularly interested in finding measurements which correlate with subjective phenomena. I like to think that while measurements don't explain everything, they can at least keep us honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back