I Don't Understand You Subjective Guys
Jul 22, 2012 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 861

Xaborus

100+ Head-Fier
Why would anyone buy a $1000 DAC when the $150 ODAC performs just as good in blind testing as a DAC1?

Sometimes i think most of you guys are just buying an expensive placebo effect.. just like $1000 Cables.

Edit: Please note- I'm not trolling. Explanation of my viewpoints on the second page.

Jul 22, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #2 of 861
Everything is subjective, the fact that you think a $1000 dac performs the same as a $150 odac is your own bias at work. So of course you cant understand, cause everyone is with bias including yourself. It works both ways.

Jul 22, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #3 of 861
It's their money so they can buy anything they want. Plus, it's subjective and not everyone's ears are the same, so maybe you hear the ODAC is good but some people may hear that the DAC1 is better

It's subjective, so you have to respect their opinion

Jul 22, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #4 of 861
Jul 22, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #5 of 861
Quote:
Why would anyone buy a $1000 DAC when the $150 ODAC performs just as good in blind testing as a DAC1?

Sometimes i think most of you guys are just buying an expensive placebo effect.. just like $1000 Cables.

Because practically nobody listens blind in practice. Blind tests are just for tests.

In reality placebo effect is active and for many people it helps improve the sound.

Jul 22, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #6 of 861
Xaborus, to do this topic justice would require countless pages of circular arguments, ending in frustrating stalemate.

So I'll speak on behalf of at least some subjectivists and get to the bottom line:

We don't care!

We don't care if the sceptics believe us or not. We're not out to convert anyone. If you can't, or won't, tell the difference between DACs then good for you - you've saved yourself a shed full of money.
We're happy to discuss our hobby with like-minded enthusiasts. We're not bothered if a different group of people disagree with us.

What we are bothered about is if some rude troll butts into our conversation to declare what gullible fools we are. We've already got that bit and are happy to continue regardless.

If you do want to follow the for and against arguments, then go to the Sound Science forum and try any thread about cables - there's more of these threads around and the principles are the same, just more extreme views.
Or the thread about high end audio being a scam.

A lot of the sceptics' points are worthy of note, but... I don't care :xf_eek:)

Jul 22, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #7 of 861
when u are testing two cars from traffic lite to traffic lite,
both the hyundai and the ferrari would perform just as well;
but......thats not the end of the story.

popcorn.gif

Jul 22, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #8 of 861
Honestly why does it even matter? YOU should buy/listen to what sounds good to YOU. People get so absorbed debating over topics that don't really matter, which gets in the way of enjoying the music. 

Jul 22, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #9 of 861
Quote:
Honestly why does it even matter? YOU should buy/listen to what sounds good to YOU. People get so absorbed debating over topics that don't really matter, which gets in the way of enjoying the music. 

It's because people come here to learn. Much of Western understanding is based on substantial unmovable facts. People expect it again in their perception of audio. The fact that there is money to be spent in familiarity with two opposing philosophies, causes questions.

This debate never seems to end. We are really at the same place we were years ago. Best to borrow gear, test it, decide the possibilities. To be told what to believe is mental slavery. 

Jul 22, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #11 of 861
beerchug.gif
 Yes ...now I see what you wrote.

Jul 22, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #14 of 861
A well made product will cost more.  A good portion of any "expensive" component is what I like to call "build cost."  Now you can argue about how an audio component sounds, but you can not argue about quality workmanship, quality parts and quality design.  

I ~ personally ~ do not think a DAC should sound like anything.  A well designed DAC should be as colorless as possible.   I believe we are in danger of fostering a culture of "DAC Rolling" which is silly if you accept that a well designed DAC will not / should not sound like anything.    I would think you would get more results and enjoyment out of tube rolling, or indeed comparing tube amps to solid state amps.  At this point in time I think the sweet spot for DAC technology is around 1000USD.   Xaborus  therefore is, most likely,  just attempting to get our collective goats.

Jul 22, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #15 of 861
Newsflash - the AMP shouldn't sound like anything either. Any coloration should be down to your speakers/headphones, and many people claim they are looking for a 'neutral' headphone. Audiophiles amuse me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back