I Don't Understand You Subjective Guys
Aug 1, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #436 of 861
You're slightly off, we demand K601's for all!

Bah, they sound the same, doesn't matter.

(Doh! Did he go there? Oh yes he did!)

Aug 1, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #437 of 861
Fair enough.  I have noticed that some of Nelson Pass's papers are really aimed at the audiophile, not the scientist or engineer.

I could have also mentioned John Westlake, Keith Johnson, or many other renowned amp designers.

Basically, my point is, until we all design and bring to market some commercially successful audio designs, we really don't know what we are talking about.

Maybe someday I will start a new thread in the Science Forum:

"I Don't Understand You Anti-Feedback Guys"

I'm not sure I trust commercial success as a guage. Single Power, fireball Parasound, various amps that can and have killed headphones . . . commercial just means people buy it

It comes back to the fact that there's people that don't know what they're doing in every field.

Aug 1, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #438 of 861
Quote:

You asked Purrin what is qualifications are, a few of us have listed ours.
You are qualified to discuss:
real estate?
low German?
fine wine?
exotic cars?
audio? 
based on what experience and qualifcations?

Well, if you read the post that followed Purrin's you would know why I asked.  I am a masters student in mechanical engineering.

Aug 1, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #439 of 861
Quote:
Well, if you read the post that followed Purrin's you would know why I asked.  I am a masters student in mechanical engineering.

OK.
Now we know where you are coming from.
Then we can assume that you are not qualified to discuss fine wine or fine art.
When you get older you can waste copious amounts of time and money on useless audio junk.  Yes, that was supposed to be a joke.

Aug 1, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #440 of 861
Quote:
I'm not sure I trust commercial success as a guage. Single Power, fireball Parasound, various amps that can and have killed headphones . . . commercial just means people buy it
It comes back to the fact that there's people that don't know what they're doing in every field.

And my point is, as much as we like arguing about this stuff, our knowledge is really pretty weak.

Aug 1, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #442 of 861
Quote:
Concur. I for one welcome our new Objectivist overlords. Slide rules and K701s for all.

Maybe instead we can hand out some posters with images of perfect square waves and then we can just avoid the subjective experience (music) altogether and focus only on what we can prove with a high school science education. 
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 1, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #443 of 861
Quote:
Concur. I for one welcome our new Objectivist overlords. Slide rules and K701s for all.

Damn!
I never should have thrown out that slide rule!

BTW, sounds kinda fascist to me.............
confused.gif

Aug 1, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #444 of 861
Maybe instead we can hand out some posters with images of perfect square waves and then we can just avoid the subjective experience (music) altogether and focus only on what we can prove with a high school science education.  :evil:

I prefer the idea of doing away with the gear all together and admiring the charts. We can just collect those and, get this, imagine listening to the headphones and wondering what the charts must look like. Yeah, I know, that's ingenious. Right? :cool:

Aug 1, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #445 of 861
Damn!
I never should have thrown out that slide rule!

BTW, sounds kinda fascist to me.............:confused:

We can start a new company and call it Volkskopfhörern. Cue the Wagner!

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #448 of 861
Quote:

Note I'm not denegrating Nelson Pass in any way in this statement, but one of his crowning achievements was the Stasis amp design but when looking at the basic circuit I saw something that could go very badly with this design & it seemed to be confirmed in a test conducted by the McIntosh people when they were going about & testing others amps for them. Some one brought in a Theshold Stasis type amp which performed beautifully until asked to produce a waveform that was 4X stronger than the amp was rated for. At this time the amp said sionara, goodbye, see yaa later after you take me to the repair shop to replace my voltage amp which by the way is connected directly to the load & the power output transistors are in a current mirror which is supposed to prevent the voltage amp from actually having to drive the load by keeping it in stasis. Obviously it did not stay in stasis when it was asked to deliver more than it's rating.

All other amps completed this test without issue, even the part where it was asked to produce 4X it's rating but the threshold failed miserably here. It is not uncommon to have a piece of music that is very dynamic test the limits of an amp from time to time as with dynamic music one has often long quiet periods in the music & we tend to turn things up to get over background noise then all the sudden you get a loud portion & you are deep into clipping. The stasis amp could fail under these conditions. I seen this possability in my head as soon as I seen the circuit but I didn't actually see it happen till years later. That was the first & only time I ever seen a stasis amp in action or even in person.

No I'm not an EE & yes I was going by thier literature when I read how stasis is supposed to work but it was pretty easy to see this happening just from the design description

Sonically it was supposedly very good as even the objective type review mags gave it high marks for it's exceptional sound. Too bad I never got the chance to hear it. Given that even the guys who normally said all amps sound the same that measure the same admitted this one sounded special & was in it's own class was an outright acknoledgement that at least some amps are in fact different sounding. By the way it measured very well till they blew it.

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #449 of 861
If A bought a $2000 DAC and B bought a $150 DAC that he says it is equal to A's, A then listens to B's DAC and insisted that his $2000 DAC is far superior than B's then made him do a blind test and fails to differentiate his and B's for multiple times, then A is an epic fail. Simple as that I guess..

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #450 of 861
Note I'm not denegrating Nelson Pass in any way in this statement, but one of his crowning achievements was the Stasis amp design but when looking at the basic circuit I saw something that could go very badly with this design & it seemed to be confirmed in a test conducted by the McIntosh people when they were going about & testing others amps for them. Some one brought in a Theshold Stasis type amp which performed beautifully until asked to produce a waveform that was 4X stronger than the amp was rated for. At this time the amp said sionara, goodbye, see yaa later after you take me to the repair shop to replace my voltage amp which by the way is connected directly to the load & the power output transistors are in a current mirror which is supposed to prevent the voltage amp from actually having to drive the load by keeping it in stasis. Obviously it did not stay in stasis when it was asked to deliver more than it's rating.

All other amps completed this test without issue, even the part where it was asked to produce 4X it's rating but the threshold failed miserably here. It is not uncommon to have a piece of music that is very dynamic test the limits of an amp from time to time as with dynamic music one has often long quiet periods in the music & we tend to turn things up to get over background noise then all the sudden you get a loud portion & you are deep into clipping. The stasis amp could fail under these conditions. I seen this possability in my head as soon as I seen the circuit but I didn't actually see it happen till years later. That was the first & only time I ever seen a stasis amp in action or even in person.

No I'm not an EE & yes I was going by thier literature when I read how stasis is supposed to work but it was pretty easy to see this happening just from the design description

Sonically it was supposedly very good as even the objective type review mags gave it high marks for it's exceptional sound. Too bad I never got the chance to hear it. Given that even the guys who normally said all amps sound the same that measure the same admitted this one sounded special & was in it's own class was an outright acknoledgement that at least some amps are in fact different sounding. By the way it measured very well till they blew it.

You need to define 4 times as strong, otherwise this post is worse than useless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back