I dont care what anyone says...k501's are GREAT for metal/industrial
May 10, 2007 at 6:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

darkangel9685

100+ Head-Fier
I got my k501's in the mail upon arriving home today(what a pleasant surprise
smily_headphones1.gif
)

After listening for about 3 hours,, i can honestly say i think the k501's can hold their own when listenening to metal and/or industrial music.

cd's I've been listening to -
Mindless Self Indulgence - You'll Rebel to Anything
Nine Inch Nails - year Zero
Nirvana - MTV Unplugged
AFI - decemberunderground
Evanescence - The Open Door
Vivaldi - The Four Seasons (hey i was curious)

With MSI, the bass was deep, detailed, and full, with the cymbal crashes and various beeps sparkling. On this CD, there is no midrange to speak of...the singer sings in a falsetto, and the rest is almost all bass and beeps

Nine Inch Nails newest disc gave awesome and detailed mids that greatly fill in the sound. The sound was extremely open adn detailed, i guess due to the 501's HUGE soundstage.

AFI and Evanescence both gave strong highs, as both Danny (AFI) and Amy (Evanescence) both have high(er) voices that really stand out amongst the chaos going on around them.

Vivaldi was amazing! Everything was bright, level, and clean. It all blended very nicely, especially with the Spring(allegro) movement.

Lastly, Nirvana. OMG. Kurts voice has never been so creepy, sad, beautiful, and heartbroken all at once. It literally sent chills up my spine listening to "Where Did You Sleep Last Night". I think i had my first eargasm!!

So...back to the point. With these types of music, k501 performed greatly, with the large sound stage allowing a lot of the otherwise subdued sounds to really come through and shine. It was like listening to music for the first time all over again.

I will whole-heartedly recommend the phones for any rock/techo/industrial enthusiast.

(let the flames begin)

May 10, 2007 at 8:54 AM Post #2 of 52
Congrats with your new toy
wink.gif

I love TRANCE and ROCK as well, but never heard K501 with it. But maybe you can give it a shot and try some modded K340 as well, cos you never know...

Enjoy!

May 10, 2007 at 9:19 AM Post #3 of 52
I'm not seeing any metal music :\ Just some commercial crap.

Anyway everyone says the K701 is to slow for rock music but I find them to work very well. It's not as fun as a pair of grados but the level of detail they bring is just amazing. Which one I prefer is certainly a mood thing but most of the time I greatly enjoy listening to any metal from Metallica to Dying Fetus with them
smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2007 at 10:27 AM Post #6 of 52
Yeah if you only look at the Black Album and forward... But who said I listened to that? AFI used to be a punk band. Hell that's where this name came from, I thought they were a pretty kick ass band (when I was 12)

May 10, 2007 at 11:56 AM Post #7 of 52
Well, when I was a bit younger those were hot:

AC/DC
DEEP PURPLE
RAINBOW
LED ZEPPELIN
ACCEPT
JUDAS PRIEST
IRON MAIDEN
METALLICA
METAL CHURCH
HELLOWEEN
BLACK SABBATH
R.J. DIO
WARLOCK/DORO
MANOWAR
MERCYFUL FATE
TWISTED SISTER
GRAVE DIGGER

I am not sure of the others anymore, but you can get a picture a bit.
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by afireinside /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah if you only look at the Black Album and forward... But who said I listened to that? AFI used to be a punk band. Hell that's where this name came from, I thought they were a pretty kick ass band (when I was 12)

May 10, 2007 at 11:59 AM Post #8 of 52
Nice to hear that! Nothing's better than enjoying what you have and finding out it really works for you
icon10.gif

May 10, 2007 at 12:50 PM Post #9 of 52
Quote:

Why not just listen to the music you like and not pick on someone elses taste in music? you know music doesn't become bad just because it is commersial.

May 10, 2007 at 12:55 PM Post #10 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurra1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not just listen to the music you like and not pick on someone elses taste in music? you know music doesn't become bad just because it is commersial.

QFT, now lets not derail the thread.

To the OP: That's what makes this hobby so great and so frustrating at once. Our ears are all different, and therefore different headphones sound different to us. As a result, what would be "rubbish" for some peoples on a particular genre are perfect for the next guy.

Now, I'm not saying that for everything this is true. There are some instances where a particular can has been obviously tweaked to sound better with a genre. Trying to avoid cliche like the plague [sic.] it's easy to site grado for rock and sennheiser for larger-scale classical.

If you like your k501's for industro-metal (I have no idea what the kids are listening to these days
tongue.gif
) then go for it!

May 10, 2007 at 1:02 PM Post #11 of 52
Quote:

great put-down
rolleyes.gif
Play nice now.

Back on topic, of course these are great. They are AKG's flagship dynamic alongside with the eccentric K1000 in the background. The 701 is only a cosmetic monarch- much like the royalty in england.

May 10, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #12 of 52
I have the K500 and K601. I've never heard the K501, but I assume the sound is close. I've listened to all types of music with them, including electronica and hard rock, and I haven't found any I don't like. Some of my bassiest music sounds a little better out of other cans, but it's only a slight improvement. Of course I'm not a bass head.

For those who think AKGs are bass shy, I just bought a used pair of DT831. The bass is just a whisper.

May 10, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #13 of 52
I've been rocking K501s for a few weeks now (used /ebay), and I also found the common wisdom that they are a *classical* headphone to be suspect. They even work pretty well directly into my powerbook, though I mainly use them with a vintage solid-state receiver that can really drive them. For lower volume listening with a portable (ie @work), I use Grados, but with enough horespower the K501s can indeed rock. Oh, and for those about to rock K501s, we salute you
icon10.gif

Kerry M

May 10, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #14 of 52
The K501 was missing something significant for me, but surprisingly with my Darkvoice it sounded very, very good with Massive Attack / trip hop / electronic. I don't listen to industrial or metal, but I imagine the 501's ability to articulate well does some good things for those genres.

May 10, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #15 of 52
Of course you can like any music with any headphones, but... No, K501 are not a good option for metal. There are a LOT of cans better. Darkangel9685, if you have not tried other, do it and you will see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back