I dont care what anyone says...k501's are GREAT for metal/industrial
May 10, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #16 of 52
I enjoy the clarity of my K-501 with *all* genres. They have great punch for rock and metal, and don't lack bass at all to my ears. They just get out of the way and let the music flow!

But then, the clarity is not always welcome. I never realised how badly some of my rock CDs were produced.

May 10, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #17 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by afireinside /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not seeing any metal music :\ Just some commercial crap.

trivium
killswitch engage
mastodon
opeth
metallica (pre black album)
chimera
most precious blood
skinny puppy

shall I name more?
evil_smiley.gif

May 10, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #18 of 52
No need for a flame-suit, we all have different sonic preferences. FWIW, I prefer Grados and the K701 (shrug). I can't afford a K701 so my A250 fills in for those times when I want a more ambient soudnstage.

Youre not alone BTW... the 501 has a well deserved fan-base on this forum.

May 10, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #20 of 52
Industrial? I like front 242, einsturzende neubauten, front line assembly, kmfdm, etc... not into skinny puppy much. these sound awesome on my 595s, especially the front line stuff because of the atmospheric digital soundstage. hmm, i'm interested in listening to this stuff with a 501/x01

May 10, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #21 of 52
My K501 sounds good with a lot of things, including metal. They sometimes beat my DT250-80s, which are often recommended for rock and metal. (Not sure how much of that is due to the sound signature and how much is maybe they're just better cans.)

May 11, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #23 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by afireinside /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not seeing any metal music :\ Just some commercial crap.

You fail.
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkangel9685 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After listening for about 3 hours,, i can honestly say i think the k501's can hold their own when listenening to metal and/or industrial music.

You win.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 11, 2007 at 6:10 AM Post #24 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those who think AKGs are bass shy, I just bought a used pair of DT831. The bass is just a whisper.

Both the AKG and the DT831 are bass shy.

May 11, 2007 at 9:37 AM Post #26 of 52
Quote:

Ahh, but there are three known variations of the K501 out in circulation. Search this forum for the thread where they were reported.

Almost every bass (increase) mod out there reduces the detail in the bass because they almost all work by increasing the resonance in the bass frequencies (with the exception of the mods where the distance to the driver is reduced). A lot of resonance like that will be heard as more bass but also more blurry/less defined bass.

The only way to get a good amount of bass while retaining definition is to simply make the diaphragm work harder, while retaining just enough resonance to not blur the sound. You can plug ports and apply tape if you like - but it will merely be exchanging one quality for another (bass quality for bass quantity). I know some people may disagree with me but as always, YMMV.

May 11, 2007 at 10:21 AM Post #27 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both AKG and the DT831 are bass shy.

not really...akg 81dj is a bass monster
basshead.gif

May 11, 2007 at 11:31 AM Post #29 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not really...akg 81dj is a bass monster
basshead.gif

Typo there, it should have read "Both the AKG and the DT-831...". Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

May 11, 2007 at 1:07 PM Post #30 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Almost every bass (increase) mod out there reduces the detail in the bass because they almost all work by increasing the resonance in the bass frequencies (with the exception of the mods where the distance to the driver is reduced). A lot of resonance like that will be heard as more bass but also more blurry/less defined bass.

The only way to get a good amount of bass while retaining definition is to simply make the diaphragm work harder, while retaining just enough resonance to not blur the sound. You can plug ports and apply tape if you like - but it will merely be exchanging one quality for another (bass quality for bass quantity). I know some people may disagree with me but as always, YMMV.

The variations referenced are three manufacturer variations, not three end-user mods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back