I dont care what anyone says...k501's are GREAT for metal/industrial
May 11, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #31 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found guitars and midrange to be too distant to listen to Metal with the K501's.

You weren't listening loud enough! What? Sorry I can't hear you…
wink.gif
I usually use my K501s late in the evening after work, after I have already put in a few hours with my Grado SR80s, so maybe that's why I'm not put off by the somewhat less direct K501 sound. It's a welcome change by then.

Kerry M

May 11, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #32 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The variations referenced are three manufacturer variations, not three end-user mods.

Wow, I didn't know blu-takking ports and using sticky tape was part of AKG's manufacturing process. You think AKG will release that K701B with taped pads soon?
tongue.gif

May 11, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #33 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I didn't know blu-takking ports and using sticky tape was part of AKG's manufacturing process. You think AKG will release that K701B with taped pads soon?
tongue.gif

Snarky: Just because you're ignorant of the (at least) three different K501 versions produced by AKG doesn't mean the rest of us are.
wink.gif

Less Snarky: It's pretty common knowledge that AKG has a history of making design changes to their headphones mid-production. In this case, the K501 has three different versions that have been documented here by us (as AKG denies certain changes like this), with there possibly being even more if you include smaller changes like the pads.

May 11, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #34 of 52
Quote:

It's pretty common knowledge that AKG has a history of making design changes to their headphones mid-production. In this case, the K501 has three different versions that have been documented here by us (as AKG denies certain changes like this), with there possibly being even more if you include smaller changes like the pads.

how can i tell which version i have?
confused.gif

May 11, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #35 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkangel9685 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how can i tell which version i have?
confused.gif

Take one of the earpads off and take a pic of the driver + baffle plate.

May 11, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #36 of 52
I don't think I've ever listened to straight-up, real Industrial using my K501s, but for some reason I can't see how bands like Brighter Death Now, Sutcliffe Jugend, In Slaughter Natives, Concrete Violin, MZ.412, Dead Raven Choir, or The Grey Wolves would sound too great with the K501 sound signature... Maybe Zoviet France or even some Navicon Torture Technologies or NON songs would be pretty cool though. NeoFolk and Martial Music sounds great on them though

May 12, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #37 of 52
Quote:

Snarky: Just because you're ignorant of the (at least) three different K501 versions produced by AKG doesn't mean the rest of us are.
wink.gif

Less Snarky: It's pretty common knowledge that AKG has a history of making design changes to their headphones mid-production. In this case, the K501 has three different versions that have been documented here by us (as AKG denies certain changes like this), with there possibly being even more if you include smaller changes like the pads.

Unless AKG has changed the drivers themselves in these variations, my original point applies re. resonance.

May 12, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #38 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless AKG has changed the drivers themselves in these variations, my original point applies re. resonance.

It only applies if you work under the assumption that the version with the least amount of bass is the standard, and anything with more bass is a deviation from that standard. Who's to say that the (factory) version with the most bass isn't the intended design (which still isn't "bass heavy" by any means), and the ones with less were due to a slight design error causing more backwave cancellation than intended?

According to your profile you don't even own a K501, and I've already learned from the past that your knowledge about audio is completely unreliable, so I don't know why I'm debating this with you. I'm done here.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 12, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #39 of 52
Quote:

According to your profile you don't even own a K501, and I've already learned from the past that your knowledge about audio is completely unreliable, so I don't know why I'm debating this with you. I'm done here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ouch! What a knockout by Fitz! lol.
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #40 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkangel9685 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my k501's in the mail upon arriving home today(what a pleasant surprise
smily_headphones1.gif
)

After listening for about 3 hours,, i can honestly say i think the k501's can hold their own when listenening to metal and/or industrial music.

cd's I've been listening to -
Mindless Self Indulgence - You'll Rebel to Anything
Nine Inch Nails - year Zero
Nirvana - MTV Unplugged
AFI - decemberunderground
Evanescence - The Open Door
Vivaldi - The Four Seasons (hey i was curious)

With MSI, the bass was deep, detailed, and full, with the cymbal crashes and various beeps sparkling. On this CD, there is no midrange to speak of...the singer sings in a falsetto, and the rest is almost all bass and beeps

Nine Inch Nails newest disc gave awesome and detailed mids that greatly fill in the sound. The sound was extremely open adn detailed, i guess due to the 501's HUGE soundstage.

AFI and Evanescence both gave strong highs, as both Danny (AFI) and Amy (Evanescence) both have high(er) voices that really stand out amongst the chaos going on around them.

Vivaldi was amazing! Everything was bright, level, and clean. It all blended very nicely, especially with the Spring(allegro) movement.

Lastly, Nirvana. OMG. Kurts voice has never been so creepy, sad, beautiful, and heartbroken all at once. It literally sent chills up my spine listening to "Where Did You Sleep Last Night". I think i had my first eargasm!!

So...back to the point. With these types of music, k501 performed greatly, with the large sound stage allowing a lot of the otherwise subdued sounds to really come through and shine. It was like listening to music for the first time all over again.

I will whole-heartedly recommend the phones for any rock/techo/industrial enthusiast.

(let the flames begin)

I recently heard K501's at the Tampa meet

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=239438

I will tell you, if you think the K501's had impact with metal and industrial...listen to RP21's. K501's DON'T HOLD A CANDLE to them IMO. The impact is so much more abundant. And it's just as detailed. IMO, it sounds fuller, not like somebody just clipped the bass knob to minimum. And they're $100-150 too....can't go wrong.

I honestly didn't see hte attraction to the K501's. Sounded really FLAT and not impactful at all. And I was listening to ALOT of MSI and basically the same bands/artists you were....MSI sounds SOOOOOOOO good on RP21s...

May 12, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #41 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently heard K501's at the Tampa meet

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=239438

I will tell you, if you think the K501's had impact with metal and industrial...listen to RP21's. K501's DON'T HOLD A CANDLE to them IMO. The impact is so much more abundant. And it's just as detailed. IMO, it sounds fuller, not like somebody just clipped the bass knob to minimum. And they're $100-150 too....can't go wrong.

I honestly didn't see hte attraction to the K501's. Sounded really FLAT and not impactful at all. And I was listening to ALOT of MSI and basically the same bands/artists you were....MSI sounds SOOOOOOOO good on RP21s...

thanks, i will look into the RP21's as soon as my bank account recovers
rolleyes.gif

May 12, 2007 at 6:48 AM Post #42 of 52
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

I know what you're about to say, and yes - you can use it for your avatar. Don't be shy
tongue.gif

May 12, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #44 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by a shovel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you forgot the customary crown and title. fixed some severe red-eye too
wink.gif

fitz.png

[size=xx-small]the drool coming out of his mouth is so extreme it looks like lightning.[/size]

I am so much better looking than this imposter...

May 16, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #45 of 52
Quote:

The variations referenced are three manufacturer variations, not three end-user mods.

That should be a sticky on all the 501 threads.
I bought a pair of 501's off a forum member here earlier this year.
They have the red rings inside, which apparently have the most bass.
I modded them with 701 pads (had to buy new pads because they were used; why not 701's)
and inner rings and have burned in hours of bass music.
They are excellent for metal with one caveat. As Regal pointed out some things sound too distant
(because of the wide soundstage).
That, I can live with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back