I dare you to wear your biggest heapdhones in public
Oct 13, 2003 at 3:24 PM Post #31 of 86
I walk around Berkeley & Emeryville almost every day packin my HD580s.

I've gotten some strange looks but oh well. Every once and a while someone will ask me about them, tell me how great their Sony whatever sounds etc. I do my best to hold the laugh until after they're gone.

Oct 13, 2003 at 3:25 PM Post #32 of 86
Quote:

Originally posted by pennylane
I saw a girl walking around with HD-580s at Berkeley once. I don't know what kind of source she had though...

biggrin.gif
Hmm

Oct 13, 2003 at 3:56 PM Post #33 of 86
I routinely wear my SR-225s outside, although they probably don't count as HUGE.

Personally, i think they look wicked when you're walking around, and they sound fantastic for on the go headphones! I do have to take them off for the bus, though, so i don't get on anyone's nerves.

I've had people ask me what they were, too, and if they could try them out, which is probably a good thing
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: i have not, however, worn my DT880s outside, mostly due to the fact that i'm scared of damaging them somehow
tongue.gif

Oct 13, 2003 at 4:24 PM Post #34 of 86
I have yet to wear my AKG 271s outside, but don't worry I will. I like drawing attention to myself. I hear plenty of comments when I wear my HD-497s which pale in comparison to all of these larger headphones mentioned here. I just wonder what ill be hearing from these people this time . . .

Oct 13, 2003 at 6:19 PM Post #35 of 86
hmm, i have a pair of old-school yamaha HP-1's that i may try wearing outside sometime. the driver enclosures themselves aren't all that big, but the headband is this two-piece ordeal that sticks out faaaar from your head. i'm sure i'd get some looks for that
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 13, 2003 at 6:42 PM Post #36 of 86
alright, you should see my badass rig (julia took my digital camera to new york with her
mad.gif
):
black jansport equinox bag, black carbiner holding my cd1700 perfectly (when not making music). in the backpack a jmt meta42 8620opa with straightwire cable and a sony mzr50 source. i'm going to hit the grocery store, downtown seattle, old navy, and bed bath and beyond with these puppies.

did i mention i'll also be wearing gradient mirrored aviator ray bans too? i'm gonna scare the crap out of some people today!
biggrin.gif

p.s.
you guys are my heroes.

p.p.s.
djgustashaw, i just realized your user name isn't "digitalchainsaw". that's how i've been reading it all this time. silly me.

Oct 13, 2003 at 7:32 PM Post #37 of 86
Redshifter - I love this idea. I've stopped caring about people's opinions on this hobby - those who are outside "the know," that is. Either you get it or you don't. And if you don't, well, I guess that's your own damn fault. I don't regret my love of headphones and, if anything, am proud to wear the giant ones in public. And really, tt doesn't hurt that I like the way the HD600 looks - I’d use it portably if it was sealed.

By the way, the taker of the cake, when judging ugly cans - HD280. They have an abnormally long headband, and they kind of fit at a right angle over your head onto your ears. Ugly, ugly, ugly. I guess that's the price you pay for excellent isolation.

Oct 13, 2003 at 8:28 PM Post #38 of 86
Quote:

p.p.s.
djgustashaw, i just realized your user name isn't "digitalchainsaw". that's how i've been reading it all this time. silly me.

rofl! yeah, my screen name is also my real name. speaking of misreading names, though, i always read "uncledan" as "unclean" for awhile. and "stymiemiasma" as "style miasma". maybe we should make a thread about misinterpretations of usernames...

Oct 13, 2003 at 8:39 PM Post #39 of 86
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
i've been thinking about using my sony cd1700 headphones with my portable system, you know, the headphones that look like two padded hubcaps strapped to your head.

I used to wear the Sony MDR-CD1000 (previous model) around, powered by the Sony MZ-R3 minidisc.

Oct 13, 2003 at 8:43 PM Post #40 of 86
Quote:

I've stopped caring about people's opinions on this hobby - those who are outside "the know," that is. Either you get it or you don't. And if you don't, well, I guess that's your own damn fault.

I used to feel this way too. I tell people what I do and they say "what? Is that like supposed to better than Bose or something." But I've started to bring my friends back to my place (all guys, damnit) or drop by work late night. Every single one, no joke, gets bit by the bug. Of course, none of them go drop thousands of dollars. I always wind up telling people that they're listening to $150,000 worth of 2 channel CD playback but that THEY DO NOT have to spend that much for good sound. it's usually followed by a trip to the high-end store for some Rotel, Energy, B&W, etc type stuff and we all couldn't be happier. Long story short, if we all embrace new people instead of thinking we know something they will never understand, our hobby will be that much more popular. High quality reproduction of high-quality music is VERY addictive.

Oct 13, 2003 at 8:45 PM Post #41 of 86
There's a guy at my school who brings his UR-20's (ugh...horrible phones) to school. Basically, they're a HUGE hunk of plastic with some cheesy drivers slapped in them.

Sorry, but when I get some real cans in the future, they're not going anywhere unless they're packed up and are being transported.

Oct 13, 2003 at 11:37 PM Post #42 of 86
Quote:

Originally posted by djgustashaw
rofl! yeah, my screen name is also my real name. speaking of misreading names, though, i always read "uncledan" as "unclean" for awhile. and "stymiemiasma" as "style miasma". maybe we should make a thread about misinterpretations of usernames...

heh, i read "uncledan" as "unclean" as well, swear to god.

now stymie miasma, that's a name you should not get wrong. he's originally from melbourne, australia, and can hypnotize buffalo with one hand while cutting up micheal jackson's red leather jacket with a huge knife in the other.

or am i just generalizing aussies..... naw...

REPORT FROM THE TRENCHES:
walked all around town today with my cd1700 on, bobbing my head to the f'lips "transmissions from the stallite heart". i even flashed my smile and make little "bang bang" howyadoin' motions at people. even at the supermarket, i was wearing them and as i handed over my QFC "advantage card" i spoke boldly "I HAVE THE ADVANTAGE". ok, acting crazy is better than being crazy, alright!?!

no one comment or look. nothing.
3000smile.gif

that is until i ran into my dj buddy glenn. he saw them, his jaw dropped and his eyes bugged out. i let him listen for a while, and he thought the giant headphone day idea was hilarious. oh, and he liked the cd1700 very much, but i think he wants to hear a frequency sweep before he proceeds.

Oct 13, 2003 at 11:39 PM Post #43 of 86
2 years ago, I took my Boston Acoustics speakers to school and taped them to my head, those are the biggest mofo headphones ever, the subwoofer...

Last year I took my A500s to school on the last day (exam) and everybody that listened thought they were great, but said they were HUGE MOFOS!!, I should do it again
biggrin.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
600smile.gif

Oct 13, 2003 at 11:47 PM Post #45 of 86
okay, it seems "babe magnet" is in the lead. i have a theory on this:

1. they think you are some hotshot dj
2. they think you have cash because you're wearing $300 headphones (HA!)
3. the giant headphones are distracting them from your beer-belly and body odor.

there can be no other reason, not that i can think of.

hey snufkin, your story reminds me of the scene in the record store in "a clockwork orange". did they have popsicles, too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back