I dare you to wear your biggest heapdhones in public
Oct 13, 2003 at 4:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 86

redshifter

High Fidelity Gentility• redrum....I mean redshifter• Pee-pee. Hoo-hoo.• I ♥ Garfield
i've been thinking about using my sony cd1700 headphones with my portable system, you know, the headphones that look like two padded hubcaps strapped to your head.

they are huge. usually when someone new sees them, they comment on how huge they are. i say, "yes, they are big." then they say "why do you need such big headphones?" to which i usually reply "to drown out insipid questions from morons" as i put them back on.

they are also closed and isolate quite well. they also have a very different sound than my etys.

so, those of you with cd3000, hd600, r10, stax, open or closed, or any giant headphone in your inventory, i challenge you to put them on and go out in public. i'm talking HUGE here folks, so don't give me any of this v6 or v700 crap.

do it for me. do it for head-fi. do it for yourself. and if anyone looks at you funny, stare right back at them head held high (unless your neck is straining from the weight).
cool.gif

are you (wo)man enough to take the challenge? can you keep your cool when you look like THIS!?!
3000smile.gif

blink.gif

i'm curious to see what comments i get, is any. or stares. or tomatos thrown at me. perhaps villagers with torches, who knows? do it yourself and let me know what the world thinks of your enormous headphones.
cool.gif

Oct 13, 2003 at 4:33 AM Post #2 of 86
I had taken out my HD600's before. (At least the HD600's don't look like sh#t on my head the way some other large headphones do.) But so far I haven't taken my CD2000's out - they're the largest headphones in my current collection.

Oct 13, 2003 at 4:33 AM Post #3 of 86
my rs-1s are worth way to much to me to take them out in the world. i've worn akg 501s out and about though. if i did get strange looks i probably wouldn't have noticed. people look at me strangely for a lot of the things that i do. so it all gets kind of tuned out.

Oct 13, 2003 at 4:37 AM Post #4 of 86
It's not for me so much what people think but what the heck I do with them when I'm not listening. I even find the PX-200s awkward sometimes!!!

E.G. if I walk into a shop, I wish I could just stuff my cans in my pocket, not fumble around with folding them up and putting them away and whatnot.

--Chris

Oct 13, 2003 at 4:42 AM Post #5 of 86
Quote:

Originally posted by hempcamp
It's not for me so much what people think but what the heck I do with them when I'm not listening. I even find the PX-200s awkward sometimes!!!

E.G. if I walk into a shop, I wish I could just stuff my cans in my pocket, not fumble around with folding them up and putting them away and whatnot.

--Chris

with portapros they go great around my neck or if i get tired of that, with the pads on my temples.

Oct 13, 2003 at 4:43 AM Post #7 of 86
How would I carry the Stax out of the house? I suppose if I had an extention cord and had the driver under one arm. I'd need some fairly long interconnects.
tongue.gif

Oct 13, 2003 at 4:57 AM Post #8 of 86
ah, excuses excuses.

hajime, couldn't you just hook the driver up to a portable cd player?

guyferd,
then walk slowly and stately down the street with your cd3000, waving a cane at passerbies. or use duct tape to fasten them to your head.

usc,
rs-1 worth way too much? dang man, i paid us$150 for my cd1700. damn that's a lot of money. those doorknob rs-1 would be perfect. and yes! the grado sr325 sticks way out if i remember.

eagle driver,
go for it man! get those cd2000 out there and show the world that WE'RE DEAF AS HELL NOT GOING TO TAKE CRAPPY PHONES ANYMORE!!

hempcamp,
wear a backpack, man, and put them in there.

wink.gif

Oct 13, 2003 at 5:00 AM Post #10 of 86
The timing of this post is spot on for me. On Friday, I wore my Beyer DT990's to and from work.

Oct 13, 2003 at 5:03 AM Post #12 of 86
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
ah, excuses excuses.

guyferd,
then walk slowly and stately down the street with your cd3000, waving a cane at passerbies. or use duct tape to fasten them to your head.
wink.gif

ROFLMAO......Keith Moon's "Isle of Wight" style right?

Oct 13, 2003 at 5:10 AM Post #13 of 86
My K1000s won't really be useful outside. Music quality would suck out of portable and wouldn't get loud enough to fight the city noise. I'd only do it on Holloween
tongue.gif

Oct 13, 2003 at 5:14 AM Post #14 of 86
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
ROFLMAO......Keith Moon's "Isle of Wight" style right?

why yeeees, that's it!

ian,
c'mon, it's about looking stupid, not the music.
wink.gif

Oct 13, 2003 at 5:20 AM Post #15 of 86
ive worn my hp890's on the train before, does that count?

i dont wear my grados in public they are too open...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back