I coupled one of world's finest headphones to J3 and saw J3's true colors. The end of portable amps?
Jul 27, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #16 of 40

Quote:
I have D2 and I love it with my IEM's but it could never power my big cans. BTW, I tried J3 with my Denon AHD 5000 last night and was blown away. Man the bass had a cruel thump and the highs were better than I expected. The highs of the Ultrasone cans remain the best I have ever heard.

nice!   yeah..i guess some cans are not meant to be driven by a dap..no matter what. (senns and alike)  but i agree that the j3 handles the denons very good.  and i am sure that it can even handle the yuin pk1 with respect.  but i personally would still prefer the pk2 for that combo.

Jul 27, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #17 of 40
The Teclast T51 is the same as the S:Flo 2, which is a very popular DAP.

If I remember the specs correctly, the T51 has more power in mW output than the D2/D2+.
mW output readings can sometimes be deceiving though, I had a Hippo mp3 player which is supposed to have a high output and it was just average imho, the T51 however drives my phones at quite high volume, both the HO and LO.  Then again I don't have any very demanding phones, but other users say it can drive the Yuin OK1/PK1 (150 ohm) perfectly fine.

I'm a bit skeptical of the colorfly, I haven't researched it but it's very expensive and has a walnut shell or something so I don't think you're just getting pure sq from it, unlike cheap products like the Audinst HUD-MX1 or Teclast T51 which focus more on high quality chips and internals and keep the cost low.

Hifiman is certainly appealing, and the HM-601 seems reasonably priced for what it is, I hope I can pick up a second hand one sometime soon and see what it's like. =)

Sony is also famous for their high quality DAP's in the X and A series, especially in Japan where Sony sells more than Apple.

Jul 27, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #18 of 40
Only among the Head-Fi community....the general public wouldn't know what an S:Flo2 was if you held it in front of them.

Quote:
The Teclast T51 is the same as the S:Flo 2, which is a very popular DAP.

Jul 27, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #20 of 40

Quote:
congrats. i too enjoy my j3. right now i have it eq'd at flat with 10 BBE and the sound is very clean.

BBE works for me too with my DJ1 and M50.
I also set it to 7 or 9..
J3 is a remarkable gem and i am happy that i bumped into it through Head.Fi...
My portable rig is almost complete.I am still on the quest though for the absolute portable amp to much with J3 and my cans...

Jul 27, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #21 of 40

Quote:
Only among the Head-Fi community....the general public wouldn't know what an S:Flo2 was if you held it in front of them.

True, most people think it's my phone...

It was amusing meeting a friend that uses a Sansa Clip and full-size headphones, and I use a Teclast T51 and IEM's.

Jul 27, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #22 of 40
Quote:

They wouldn't know what a J3 was either...

Jul 27, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #23 of 40
Jul 27, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #25 of 40
Quote:
I dont know if this is meant to make me laugh or cry : (...

Sometimes that fact that there are people who call any DAP an "iPod" makes me want to cry...

Jul 27, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #26 of 40

Quote:
... with 10 BBE and ...

While this thread is firmly focused on the topic of crying, reading things like this make me want to cry. BBE 10 is insane, far too much, the sound just becomes fake, artificial, like a girl with too much makeup. Is this still head-fi? 
confused_face_2.gif

Jul 27, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #28 of 40
I don't know the exact workings of BBE, but a general observation I found is that it tends to over-exaggerate the sound. More bass where there wouldn't be, sharper treble which usually sounds tame. On some bad recordings the vocals don't even sound human with BBE at 10. It can however be quite useful if the gear is a little dull or lifeless, say a portable setup with no amp. Though the more I've listened to BBE, the more I learned to stay away from it, things just don't sound natural with it, for whatever that is worth to you.

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #29 of 40

Quote:
I don't know the exact workings of BBE, but a general observation I found is that it tends to over-exaggerate the sound. More bass where there wouldn't be, sharper treble which usually sounds tame. On some bad recordings the vocals don't even sound human with BBE at 10. It can however be quite useful if the gear is a little dull or lifeless, say a portable setup with no amp. Though the more I've listened to BBE, the more I learned to stay away from it, things just don't sound natural with it, for whatever that is worth to you.

I agree. Meddling with the original sound to such extent ends up in having a very different experience from the usual norm in recordings. Anyways, some might enjoy it that way. It's good it's there. I change it from album to album but I never cross 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back