I coupled one of world's finest headphones to J3 and saw J3's true colors. The end of portable amps?
Jul 28, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #31 of 40

Quote:
I don't know the exact workings of BBE, but a general observation I found is that it tends to over-exaggerate the sound. More bass where there wouldn't be, sharper treble which usually sounds tame. On some bad recordings the vocals don't even sound human with BBE at 10. It can however be quite useful if the gear is a little dull or lifeless, say a portable setup with no amp. Though the more I've listened to BBE, the more I learned to stay away from it, things just don't sound natural with it, for whatever that is worth to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree. Meddling with the original sound to such extent ends up in having a very different experience from the usual norm in recordings. Anyways, some might enjoy it that way. It's good it's there. I change it from album to album but I never cross 3.

I suggest you guys try bringing the BBE up and boost the midrange on the EQ. This is what I do. I even use the BBE on 10 setting a lot of the time and boost the mids. I'm a vocal fanatic and it performs fantasticly this way. Otherwise, BBE causes the midrange to be recessed.

I'm glad you're happy with your experience with the Cowon. I have been a firm supporter of it and I often recommend the Cowons instead of buying portable amps. Cowons render portable amps into heavy, useless bricks.

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #32 of 40
I've never understood people who amp their Cowons.  It's just double-amping.
the Headphone Out of the J3 is powerful enough to drive most cans, heck I used to listen to the LCD2 out of them. 

Glad to see you have now been enlightened, brother.

Quote:
So, I was lucky to find J3 in a brick and mortar shop in Dubai selling only one Cowon - J3. No online ordering, no waiting, no shipping charges and no customs. I bought it instantly based on your recommendations here. I know quite well about Cowon and always feel sorry that it's not a known brand in our market. Our market is heavily saturated by Apple marketing and dominated by Dr Dre and iPhone and iPod. Anyways, the player delivered better results than I was aspiring for--WAY beyond my expectations, although I have D2 by Cowon. It surpasses all the DAP's I have/had in terms of SQ--and SQ is what I'm after. I have many media players and have headphones from the biggest names in the industry, and I also have UE custom 11.

I always coupled the portable players I had to my headphone amp, The Predator, and the result was always good.

3 days toying with J3, I reached to one of the huge headphones of mine that I don't use much anymore because I've become very mobile, and rarely do I find the time to sit down at home and enjoy the music. I picked Ultrasone Edition 9 and plugged it in J3 expecting to push the volume to the limit and o hear emaciated sound. To my SHOCKING surprise I did not have to increase the volume a tad and the sound that came out from J3 was INCREDIBLY good. I usually listen to Ultrasone ed9 through the balanced desktop amp by Headroom and the result has always been good, but I'm in awe gaping at how this little black gizmo called J3 can power such BIG and demanding cans. Now next thing I'm thinking of is how to change the wire of my Ultrasone to shorten it and take it along with me on the road. It's become quite normal in our city to see people walking with huge headphones on.

Jul 28, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #33 of 40

Quote:
I don't know the exact workings of BBE, but a general observation I found is that it tends to over-exaggerate the sound. More bass where there wouldn't be, sharper treble which usually sounds tame. On some bad recordings the vocals don't even sound human with BBE at 10. It can however be quite useful if the gear is a little dull or lifeless, say a portable setup with no amp. Though the more I've listened to BBE, the more I learned to stay away from it, things just don't sound natural with it, for whatever that is worth to you.

I agree as well. I cannot bring BBE over 3 on my S9. If I do, mids and treble get a very artificial tinge. I do not remember the exact setting, but I have set all the BBE effects to a minimum and rely more on the custom EQ.

Jul 28, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #34 of 40

Quote:

I agree as well. I cannot bring BBE over 3 on my S9. If I do, mids and treble get a very artificial tinge. I do not remember the exact setting, but I have set all the BBE effects to a minimum and rely more on the custom EQ.

A little bit of BBE on my i9 is ok, but I don't use it at all on my D2.....the older BBE sucks on that.

Jul 28, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #35 of 40
Dang! It was a lot higher than I remember. Now I am at home and can check the settings: BBE: 5, Mach3Bass: 3, 3D surround: off

It might be the 3D surround that I cannot stand. I experimented a lot before finding settings that I was happy with. The BBE effects doesn't make my S9 sound a lot better than my other DAP:s, but definitely on par with the Rockboxed iRiver and Toshiba. Perhaps the Kenwood and JVC sound slightly better when EQ'd...

Jul 28, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #36 of 40
to me, BBE alone isnt bad. if you adjust the EQ, add 3d,  add M3B and stuff, then it gets weird. i dono though, i havent listened to my portable setup since getting myd esktop setup

Jul 28, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #37 of 40

Quote:
Dang! It was a lot higher than I remember. Now I am at home and can check the settings: BBE: 5, Mach3Bass: 3, 3D surround: off

It might be the 3D surround that I cannot stand. I experimented a lot before finding settings that I was happy with. The BBE effects doesn't make my S9 sound a lot better than my other DAP:s, but definitely on par with the Rockboxed iRiver and Toshiba. Perhaps the Kenwood and JVC sound slightly better when EQ'd...

Yes, 3D surround sucks....leads to a very  artificial sound.

Jul 28, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #38 of 40
People, if you use BBE, boost the mids with the EQ. It's not that freaking hard.

Quote:
I've never understood people who amp their Cowons.  It's just double-amping.
the Headphone Out of the J3 is powerful enough to drive most cans, heck I used to listen to the LCD2 out of them. 

Glad to see you have now been enlightened, brother.

I used the J3 with my AKG K701, so what the hey. =)

Quote:
Yes, 3D surround sucks....leads to a very  artificial sound.

3D surround sounds good with ear buds and it seems that is what it was intended to be used for. Full size headphones generally do not need surround sound and all Cowon players come with ear buds. I'm just assuming here, but it seems likely.

Jul 28, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #39 of 40
I though the 3D surround sounded good at first until I noticed weird phase effects in the treble and now I can't stand it at all.  I do like the stereo enhance though.  If you combine it with crossfeed from a suitable amp it makes the sound stage both wider and deeper.

Mar 18, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #40 of 40

Quote:
'True Colours' insinuates negative connotations. I'm not sure whether English is your first language, but just be careful about using such terms if you're not confident with their meanings.
However, enough nit picking. Congratulations on finding the J3!        You're right, it is a shame that J3 doesn't recognition by the general public.

I know this is an old thread, but it's just a pet peeve of mine..............

" People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones "

-GT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back