I came here to have questions answered, Instead I have a helleva lot more...
Dec 16, 2010 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

NoEars

Head-Fier
Beyers dt770 - too recessed mids, too much bass. Akg MK2712 - weak bass, sounds like crap without an amp. Audio Technica AH9000 - Highs to harsh, lean bass. Except, I've also heard the exact opposite of every pair of cans I've looked at. I've come to realize everyone's ear is difference...VASTLY apparently. By trying to pin down a pair of cans I can enjoy music with, I've turned myself off of them almost completely. It seems no matter what I choose, there is going to be something outrageously wrong with them.

Is this impression I'm getting really true? Or is everyone just super opinionated about headphones? 

EDIT: In rereading my post, it sounds like I'm bitching. I do not mean to come off like that. I'm just overwhelmed by the massive information presented in these forums. I do appreciate it's existence and am glad I found them.

Dec 16, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #2 of 24
There is no perfect headphones. That's why I buy them all! Buy the ones you are interested in and sell/return what you don't like. If you sell it for less than the original cost then think of the loss as rental fees. Life is too short to listen to bad headphones. Enjoy the journey.

Dec 16, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #3 of 24
There is a certain amount of consensus. Until recently at least, no one ever claimed that the HD650 was bright. No one has yet claimed that the Audeze LCD-2 is bright. No one has said either Grado (any model) or Audio Technica or even Beyer phones don't have enough treble. The HD800 seems to be considered bright, but it appears not to bother everyone.

You have to grip and hold onto the few certainties.
dt880smile.png

Dec 16, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 24
Buy the headphones that match your genres. They will make you happier in the long run if you can enjoy your music with them rather than focusing on the headphones weaknesses and positives. If you listen to a lot of different genres, then chances are, you'll need more than one headphone... I also came to realize what you do now just about a year ago... I'm sorry about your wallet bro. But I'm just as sorry about my own
frown.gif
  The search for my ideal headphone is leading further into rare and expensive territory.

Dec 16, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 24
If you can, go and listen to the ones you're interested in.  The more I read, the more I realize how subjective (after a certain point) all this is.

Dec 16, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #6 of 24
Yeah, I see a lot of contradictory in opinions about cans. I guess I just need to bite the bullet and delve into what I can and stop worrying about the "perfect cans" as it either doesn't exist, or I would never pay that much for them. (yet...) I just want a decent set of cans I guess. I listen mostly to rock/alternative, classical, and movie soundtracks (inspiration for writing) and I extensively avoid hip hop, rap, and country. I like excellent vocals, or more a good mid-range. I like a little bass, but nothing overwhelming that it drowns everything else. I suppose highs are my least worry, but I do like for them to be there as anyone would.

I thought those 3 phones were as about as close I could get to that. (beyers dt770, AKG 271mk2, Audio technica a900) I think the shure 840 was close too, but I just don't like they way the build quality looks. And I don't much care for folding type. 

I think I'm leaning towards the AKG, as it seems to be the least criticized of the 3. However, I hear they suck with tube amplification. And that concerns me as I like old school stuff and would one day like to invest in a tube amp. I dunno. I'll keep looking around, but I think I've spent over 100 hours the last three weeks researching headphones. I don't think there are any left I haven't found. lol

Dec 16, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #7 of 24
For your genres, if you can use an open headphone, the HD580/600 would be a good choice.In about a week I should have a pair of Fischer's in my hands, which are described as a poor man's HD600, maybe even better...and they cost a lot less. Look for my impressions. Sennheisers love tubes and you hould be able to find a good deal in the used gear forum.

Dec 16, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #8 of 24
I gave the Senns much consideration. In the end though, I can't handle open headphones. I have an autistic-like response to disturbances, and extremely sensitive ears. (hearing people talking on the other side of the house, all electrical equipment buzzing, etc etc) So closed has always been my preference as it cut's me off from the outside world as much as possible. I did also consider their 448 closed model, but I wanted something just a little higher end then that. 

Dec 16, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #10 of 24
For the types of music you listen to, get the Denon D7000 and you will be happy. :)

Dec 16, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #11 of 24
The Denon D7000 is just an okay choice for rock, but not for his other ones. If he wants a versatile can with good mids and bass, I'd suggest the Audio Technica W1000X will be perfect for all his genres. If he wants the best vocals, he should look into the W1000 or other Audio Technica woodies, ie: W11JPN.

I'm a closed can guy myself =)

Dec 17, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #13 of 24
Actually, How would you describe the tonal signature of audio technica's, wind? I like rich, warm tone for listening. Maybe a little bit on the aggressive side than laid back. If that makes any sense... lol

Dec 17, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #14 of 24
Audio Technicas vary alot. Even the woodies vary so much that I love some and hate some. You can see on the thread that I linked has some impressions. But i'll write a bit right now too.

The W1000 that I think you may like, is an exceptional can with a tube amp. It has very forward mids. The lower treble may be a bit too much for some however. Different tubes can help mitigate that lower treble if it is a problem. Vocals are very forward. Some of the most forward I have heard. There are a lot of faults with the W1000 though. Such as the highest highs can sound a bit artificial at times (this problem is worsen with a solid state amp. The W1000 is meant to be plugged into a tube amp.) The mids can also sound a bit congested at times. The subbass is not satisfying for some. However, what this headphone does with mids and vocals just make me come back to them over and over again. Because of it's faults, I have been constantly looking for a replacement for them, but what it does with vocals is unmatched. Extreme clarity, intimacy, and forwardness in vocals.

The W1000X, which is still in production, sound almost completely different than the W1000. The vocals are much more laid back, though still more forward than Denons. IMO, they are an overall better headphone than the Denon D7000s, but because you have to order from Japan, it is a difficult decision to make. Plus, it's wing design may not be comfortable or fit everyone. Anyways, as for it's sound, the bass impact is an par with the Denon D7000s, though a little less sub bass response. The W1000X, I suspect, can have more bass impact than the Denons due to it's design, but I do not know for sure. The treble is detailed, but of course, not as detailed as say a HD800. It just goes with the territory for closed headphones. The treble is also a lot more relaxed than the W1000. There are not any problem areas with the W1000X.

The W11JPN has very forward vocals, even more forward than the W1000 and it is a VERY smooth sounding headphone. It is very lush sounding. Very warm sound, but lacking the clarity of the W1000s.

Audio Technica has alot of different sounding headphones, but their focus seems to be vocals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back