I bought the Denon AHD2000 headphones, and I have questions
Sep 13, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #16 of 35

Quote:
FWIR, the Denons don't benefit as much as some headphones from better amplifiers and sources. They'll help definitely, so you can just get something that is good all aroun

I think an amp must help, I need to put my iPod volume at 90% to get any good sound out of them.  With my S4s, I never go beyond 30-40%, and the QC 15s were good at around 50-60%.  I don't expect massive gains in sound quality, but as I listen I can already hear the small problems with my computer as a sound source.

Sep 13, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #17 of 35

Quote:
I think an amp must help, I need to put my iPod volume at 90% to get any good sound out of them.  With my S4s, I never go beyond 30-40%, and the QC 15s were good at around 50-60%.  I don't expect massive gains in sound quality, but as I listen I can already hear the small problems with my computer as a sound source.

Denons with an iPod, very interesting.   :D 
I find 2m or something of cable very distracting.

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #18 of 35
Yeah, I'll look very interesting on the bus with a 2 meter cord plugged in the iPod, a little box amp, and big headphones that everyone can hear.

Sep 13, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #19 of 35
I bought a pair of D2000's about 3 weeks ago and have been using them with Headroom's micro DAC/AMP stack and they have sounded fantastic?

Does anyone know if the D2000's scale well with source equipment or if Headroom equipment might be overkill?  I would not mind downgrading for the time being, and purchasing nicer source equipment when I yearn for a higher end of cans.

Sep 13, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #20 of 35
I use my D2000s with an iBasso D3 Python and a HeadRoom Desktop amp/DAC. 

I keep hearing people say that amping doesn't do much. That's simply not true. Because of their low impedance, they are driven loudly pretty easily---even out of an iPod. But just because they're playing loudly doesn't mean they have the power they need. Lower impedance headphones need more voltage to perform at their max. 

For what it's worth, my iBasso does a decent job driving them. The low end tightens up a little bit and there is a slight overall improvement with every aspect of the sound. The iBasso's DAC probably makes more of a difference for the sound than the amp does. 

With the HR Desktop, it's a whole different story. I guess I can't say "they sound like different phones," but they change pretty drastically to my ears. The low end loses most of its boominess, the mids become more present, the highs aren't quite as shrill, there's more overall energy to the sound, etc, etc. I have a feeling that the D2000s on the Desktop are just about the best I'll ever get them to sound.

So, the short synopsis to my long response: You will most likely appreciate the difference that an amp/DAC combo would make. 

Sep 13, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #21 of 35

Quote:
I use my D2000s with an iBasso D3 Python and a HeadRoom Desktop amp/DAC. 

I keep hearing people say that amping doesn't do much. That's simply not true. Because of their low impedance, they are driven loudly pretty easily---even out of an iPod. But just because they're playing loudly doesn't mean they have the power they need. Lower impedance headphones need more voltage to perform at their max. 

I'm pretty sure that low impedance headphones need more current, not more voltage.

Sep 13, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #22 of 35

Quote:
They should be arriving sometime next week.  I am very excited, I have heard a lot of good things about these phones.  Now, what is the best amp to feed them?  I am looking for something under $100.

leepery should be along in a moment to tell you how boring your new cans are, and comparing them to a dishwasher.  I think that's a bit of hyperbole on his part. I only had them for a couple of weeks but they looked good, felt good (very comfortable), and sounded good. Ultimately I decided to go another direction but they are very nice. I just thought they sounded a little to polite for most of the stuff I listen too. But they seemed to pair very well with my uDAC.

Sep 13, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #24 of 35
Yea, that cable is pretty unwieldy.

Sep 13, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #25 of 35

Quote:
leepery should be along in a moment to tell you how boring your new cans are, and comparing them to a dishwasher.  I think that's a bit of hyperbole on his part. I only had them for a couple of weeks but they looked good, felt good (very comfortable), and sounded good.

So far they sound great (much better than the Bose QC15s), that DAC/amp should be here any day

Sep 19, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #29 of 35
The amp came in, and all I can say is that this headphone definitely requires an amp.  Before this amp, I had to play the music soooo loud to power up the drivers and hear all of the sounds.  With the amp I listen at 1/2 the volume.  My ears used to hurt all day, now they don't.

Also, tighter bass, better mids, and increased soundstage.

And the DAC makes everything sound better because it is better than the one in my computer.

So now I am essentially in music heaven.  Of course, I have only burned in the headphones for 20 hours and the amp for 5.

About how much should the sound improve as the amp burns in?  Amp burn-in doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Sep 20, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #30 of 35
Quote:
The amp came in, and all I can say is that this headphone definitely requires an amp.  Before this amp, I had to play the music soooo loud to power up the drivers and hear all of the sounds.  With the amp I listen at 1/2 the volume.  My ears used to hurt all day, now they don't.

Also, tighter bass, better mids, and increased soundstage.

And the DAC makes everything sound better because it is better than the one in my computer.

So now I am essentially in music heaven.  Of course, I have only burned in the headphones for 20 hours and the amp for 5.

About how much should the sound improve as the amp burns in?  Amp burn-in doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I agree. They do sound okay unamped but they come off as boomy and can be a little bright and "closed in". I honestly don't know way everyone recommends them for unamped use. Congrats on your amp! Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back