I bought the Denon AHD2000 headphones, and I have questions
Sep 20, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #31 of 35
These headphones still sounded good without an amp, but they also sounded incomplete.  I could tell that something was missing.  I'm not sure if the improvement in sound quality has validated the $100, but I couldn't stand the feeling that, somehow, my headphones could sound better if I just payed a little more money.

Now of course I'm considering a new cable. . .

Sep 20, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #32 of 35
Don't bother with a fancy cable.  It won't change the sound.  You could try another amp in the same price range and probably get a better result.

Sep 20, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #33 of 35

Quote:
Don't bother with a fancy cable.  It won't change the sound.  You could try another amp in the same price range and probably get a better result.

Agreed. I don't recall any success stories from recabling them. Only different amping. 

I don't mean it's impossible. Just haven't heard about it.

Sep 21, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #34 of 35
The cable thing was more of a joke, I wouldn't drop $200 to upgrade the cable for a $200 set of headphones.  But those J Money pads look pretty cool, and it seems that those might improve the sound.

And those are just within my price range...the chase continues...

Sep 21, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #35 of 35

Quote:
Agreed. I don't recall any success stories from recabling them. Only different amping. 

I don't mean it's impossible. Just haven't heard about it.

Actually, there are a few review/impression threads where users have reported that recabling D2000s brings them to another level. That said, you don't need to spend 100s of dollars on cables if you're handy with a soldering iron. Vampire is currently selling at $.50/ft direct from their website and mogami is always cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back