I bought the Denon AHD2000 headphones, and I have questions
Sep 10, 2010 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

scannon18

100+ Head-Fier
They should be arriving sometime next week.  I am very excited, I have heard a lot of good things about these phones.  Now, what is the best amp to feed them?  I am looking for something under $100.

Will these headphones sound all right without a headphone amp?  How about out of my iPod?

I had the Bose QC15s and exchanged them for these, how good of an idea was that?

Sep 11, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #2 of 35
No first hand experience with the Bose, but the Denons are probably better at everything but isolation.

You won't need and expensive amp, but it is the kind of 'phone which will sound better from one.  You should get decent quality straight out of your ipod, but it can be improved with something simple and cheap like a cmoy.  The most noticeable effect will probably be tighter bass.

It's not unusable without an amp so try the D2000s out with what you've already got.  If you have a decent receiver try listening to them out of it and see how you like it.  If you do, you start researching a cmoy or a similar cheap alternative.

Sep 11, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #3 of 35
Check out the Nuforce uDAC1. New is $99 and used is much cheaper.

Sep 11, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 35
Thanks for the suggestions.  I am looking at maybe an iBasso, but I'm not quite sure if I need DAC and other stuff like that....I have a lot to learn about amps.

But my headphones came early!  And they sound amazing!   Better than the Bose, with no burn in and no amp.

EDIT:  the nuforce uDac is 16 ohm output, my headphones are 25.  Do they need to match? 

Sep 11, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #5 of 35
Usually the amps output impedance just needs to lower than the 'phones impedance.

Sep 11, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #7 of 35
All I can say so far about these phones is that there is nothing in the way of noise isolation.  I feel like I could have bought open-back phones for a little less money with the isolation i'm getting out of these.  Everyone can hear my music.

Sep 11, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #8 of 35

Quote:
All I can say so far about these phones is that there is nothing in the way of noise isolation.  I feel like I could have bought open-back phones for a little less money with the isolation i'm getting out of these.  Everyone can hear my music.

How loud do you people listen to your music... I never have that problem. When I take them off, the music only travels about half a foot, and it's plenty loud enough.

Sep 11, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

For a 'closed' 'phone they have next to no isolation and do leak a lot of sound.

Sep 12, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #10 of 35
Quote:
How loud do you people listen to your music... I never have that problem. When I take them off, the music only travels about half a foot, and it's plenty loud enough.

Same here. No problems with people complaining about hearing my music. I've asked my roommates on many occassions and they say they can't hear anything except for a couple of high notes.

Sep 12, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #11 of 35
I guess I just keep thinking, "well, I could have gotten the HD595s..." but opted for closed...

it doesn't really matter, they're sounding better every hour

Sep 12, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #12 of 35
I use my D2000s with an iBasso D4 Mamba. The bass became tighter, punchier (but still the same amount of impact), the mids were brought forward a tad, and the treble became noticeably more extended (and a bit more sibilant) but still tolerable to my ear. It didn't really "fix" the recessed mids as much as I had dreamed it would, but amps aren't really supposed to color the sound anyways. I would say It improved the sound overall 25%. I've also tried my Denon's with my friend's uDAC, it sounds just as good as the D4 to my ear, so if you're only going to use your headphones with the computer the uDac is a great option for $99

Sep 12, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #14 of 35
I just bought the E7, with a DOL for the ipod.  It should clear up my problems when it arrives.

Sep 12, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #15 of 35

Quote:
With my Denons when i take them off my head I can hear them at least 30 feet away o_o

Holy crud. I wouldn't want to be your ears.
Then again, they do listen to some great headphones.  :D 

FWIR, the Denons don't benefit as much as some headphones from better amplifiers and sources. They'll help definitely, so you can just get something that is good all around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back