"I AM SATISFIED WITH MY HEADPHONE SETUP" THREAD!
Aug 19, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #46 of 73
satisfied?
rolleyes.gif
is that a feeling? Im not familiar with it in music reproduction.....
o2smile.gif

Aug 19, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #48 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by john53 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uncle Erik and robm321,after how many years did you come to this point of satisfaction?

I was into speakers for many years before headphones. I'm friends with a local dealer, so I'm fortunate to hear all the different stuff that I'll never be able to afford. (I don't know, maybe that's not so fortunate)

But I did have the RS-1 and HD600 before headfi. I spent probably 3 years figuring it out. Meets are great, also buying and selling stuff helps to know the sound long term. I would have never bought the GS-1000 if I didn't own it a long time first. It doesn't do well A/Bing. Meets are a great place to get to know all the sounds and will help you settle on what you like and to match amps, sources, etc.

Trusting your ears is the best advice. There's far too much hype around here, and I've been led down the wrong path many times by trying to make the popular stuff work for me.

Aug 19, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #49 of 73
Happiest I ever been with my set-up, though I have a pair of 6H30Pi-DR's on the way
tongue.gif
, Macbook Pro -> LD MK III (M8161 + 6H30Pi-DR *soon*) -> DT 150's (250 ohms)... Its not optimal but boy does it sound great! Only modification would be to my MK III in the future, the rest, such as the headphone, suits my sonic preferences exquisitely! Cheers,
beerchug.gif

Aug 19, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #50 of 73
I'm totally satisfied with my setup.

Auzentech Prelude > Arietta > 770pro.

Aug 19, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #51 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im fairly satisfied with my system.

My solution is actually fairly simple although time consuming and perhaps slightly expensive to reproduce. In hindsight, boomana's oft given advice is just buy expensive gear. Thats where I am now, and taking this advice would have saved significant ammounts of money on shipping worthless junk around, and random experimentation on gear that everyone told me was not too hot. I still like the DIY stuff and would happily experiment with that even in the fact that I have only ever lost money doing so.

buy 12 headphones. sell the 4 you dont like and buy 4 others. then buy 4 more for a total of 20. of these there are probably 4 that I regularly listen to, and 6 that I occasionally listen to. The other 10 are ones that have a cool and special sound that I only want occasionally but want badly enough not to sell, rotate through them anyways and sample a few FOTM's because thats what we do here.

The whole amp thing is a bit trickier, but follows the same themes:
buy an amp. sell it. buy 2 amps. sell 1, but build 3 or 4. sell 2 of the DIY amps, build a single better one. sell that. buy another diy kit. build it. upgrade it to an absurd level and put it on the shelf for a few years. buy an amp for 1 headphone (the melos for the HP-1000) and upgrade it per the various instructions posted about. buy and sell few more amps which are not worth mention. buy mpx3 toaster. buy singlepower extreme. Sell MPX3. Sell extreme, buy supra. buy a different MPX3 while waiting for the supra. supra comes (finally) sell MPX3. sell supra. buy truly cheap 708b amp, and upgrade it. sell supra. build silver ghost. build "the small transformer coupled amp with one tube in an enclosure that did not come out quite as hammertoned as I would have liked" give away 708b because there was no interest to buy it but its now got a great home. thats about where I stand now.

Somewhere in there I experimented with stax headphones but sold them for dynamics. Im happier with my dynamics, but kind of wish I still had the stax so Im getting back into them.

the whole source thing is a bit more complicated.
it started out with various grades of portable crap.
then I won a mildly busted mccormack cd player in a raffle and fixed it. it was awesome, but it has succumbed to age and is no longer fixable by me (bummer, I really liked it)
buy MDHT constantine.
buy analog setup (rega P3, bottlehead seduction)
buy zhalou and mod it.
sell constantine
sell P3, buy vpi scout
sell zhalou
put the scout on the shelf and build a DIY TT, phono-stage is the same.
buy TPA COD parts. be a lazy bum and dont put them together even a full year and a half later.
buy e-sound E5
buy beresford clone DAC and mod it. sell it.
buy adcom because it is budget friendly.

Its a long and winding journey with some times where it appears that I have gone downhill in my efforts to reach the top, but overall Im pretty happy. My digital source could stand some upgrading, but thats ok: its pretty satisfying as it stands now.

A man with a working method I understand! I <3 Ari!

Aug 20, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #52 of 73
I'm happy with my main setup.

FLAC > Compass > DT770 Pro and now the HF-2s as well. For my portable I'm using a Sansa Clip with an iGrado / Yuin PK2's for running / lifting and Kramer-mod marshmallows for when I want isolation.

Good luck and Godspeed to those searching to sate their upgradeitis.

Aug 20, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #55 of 73
I like my ps-1 setup.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

Aug 20, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #56 of 73
I'm satisfied with my setup too......Sennheiser HD485's hooked up to a Yamaha HTR 5150 receiver in my home setup and hooked up to a RCA portable cd player or a Delphi MYFI XM satellite radio in my portable setup.

Aug 20, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #58 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm never satisfied. That's my problem. Somewhere, the grass is always greener on the other side.. For 10,000 I would be contempt.

Gotta love typos that work!
popcorn.gif

Aug 20, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #60 of 73
Being satisfied with your setup just isnt Head-Fi
biggrin.gif

A true Head-Fi member will never be satisfied!!!!!!!

Yes, Lock that wallet in a safe!!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back