"I AM SATISFIED WITH MY HEADPHONE SETUP" THREAD!
Aug 19, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #16 of 73
I'm done for now. It seems to go in cycles -- I'll be perfectly content for few years and then the itch comes, usually after I hang out here or on AA for a bit, and then it's a feverish few months of buying/selling and then fatigue sets in and I'm content again.

But in the old days things seemed less expensive and the stakes seemed lower.

o

Aug 19, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #17 of 73
I've been happy with my setup for a while now... I passed the 6-month mark a couple of months ago, which is significant, since that's always about the time when I start itching for something new.

No itch yet...
smile.gif

I've heard other, more expensive systems, but mine just has a synergy which is appropriate to my tastes/needs in ways that seem to be hard to find among other brands/equipment. Also, I seem to have hit the point in my diminishing returns curve that disallows me from justifying the money it would take to gain any significant upgrade in sound. I just won't ever be one of those who could find themselves spending that much on headphone gear (not that there's anything wrong with that
wink.gif
).

So, yes. I'm happy with my system, and don't forsee many/any future upgrades.

Aug 19, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #18 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by qawsedrf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heey John, how are the replacement earpad issues going?
smily_headphones1.gif

I am currently happy with my setup.
Modified D1 => Secret Amp => HD580, sometimes with my special recabled KSC75. Though every once a while I'd hook my KSC75 up my Ipod 4th for bedtime listening or such.

Quitting headphones though, just keeping my HD580 and KSC75 to use them in my university, plunging into bookshelves at the moment, just going entry deep though.
biggrin.gif

qawsedrf,no luck with the earpads issue yet
frown.gif

Well,interesting answers everyone.

I'm satisfied for now with my main rig,but not with my portable one because the ksc 75 don't isolate well,so i'm looking for a good closed can...

Maybe in the future,i will upgrade my main rig with a psu,better interconnects etc...but i don't know yet.
smile_phones.gif

The truth is that is nice to listen to other set-ups just for the experience,especially if it's your first years in the hobby,it's very exciting,but i think there would be almost always something which you will like better than your own rig,so you'll get in the upgraditis game again...

Aug 19, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #19 of 73
I think I'm done buying gear. This is pretty much my dream rig.

I just need to turn a pile of parts into usable equipment. And rebuild the Quads.

Aug 19, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #20 of 73
I've been done for years now, and I don't see anything out there other than the JH13s that interests me. I never thought I'd reach this kind of satisfaction from headphones. But I'm still blown away by listening to the ones I have. No loss of excitement over all these years.

Aug 19, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #22 of 73
Now that my HD650s are here, I am 100% satisfied. When I ordered them, I was afraid that I might need a new amp and/or DAC to get the full benefit, but that has proven not to be the case. In fact, they sound so good that it is like rediscovering my entire music collection!

Aug 19, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #23 of 73
I am fairly happy with what i listen through.

Ipod nano 2nd gen > AAC 192 > ER-6i

Ipod Touch 2nd gen > Lossless > ER-4P

Macbook > AAC 192 >Trends Audio 10.1 DAC > ATH-AD1000

Mac Mini > Lossless > Apogee Duet > Onkyo Integra P-304 pre amp. > HD-600

Aug 19, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #24 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogbane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that my HD650s are here, I am 100% satisfied. When I ordered them, I was afraid that I might need a new amp and/or DAC to get the full benefit, but that has proven not to be the case. In fact, they sound so good that it is like rediscovering my entire music collection!

I hate to break this to you... but it's still the case...
redface.gif

EDIT: Wait... new amp/DAC? Meaning you already have one/both? If it/they are decent enough, then you may strike my previous comment from the record.

Aug 19, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #25 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate to break this to you... but it's still the case...
redface.gif

EDIT: Wait... new amp/DAC? Meaning you already have one/both? If it/they are decent enough, then you may strike my previous comment from the record.

Unlike the majority of posters here, my source is an Onkyo CD player (not an ipod or computer soundcard), and my amp is the headphone output of an Onkyo receiver.

Given that, do you think I would still obtain significant gains in performance by purchasing a new amp or DAC?

Aug 19, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #27 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogbane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unlike the majority of posters here, my source is an Onkyo CD player (not an ipod or computer soundcard), and my amp is the headphone output of an Onkyo receiver.

Given that, do you think I would still obtain significant gains in performance by purchasing a new amp or DAC?

My approach has been different from yours and this is why we likely have different end points/eqipment. I prefer having my music on my computer. My CD's are packed away after ripping to disc. I am either going to use my Mac's headphone output or output digitally and use a dedicated DAC/Amp. This sounds a lot better than the headphone output on my Mac. There has been an explosion in headphone amp types and availability because of so many wishing to improve the sound from their computers, iPods and portable music players.

In your Onkyo CD Player, you have a DAC and headphone output stage that's dedicated to listening to your CD's and is likely to already be of very decent quality. It doesn't suit Apple to put the same quality components in the Macs as you'll likely have in the Onkyo player. I'd expect that you'd have very good sound output with your CD player and not expect any improvement unless you're prepared to spend a lot of money on a solid state amp with DAC or to go the route of using a tube amp to enjoy that difference in sound.

Aug 19, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #28 of 73
Same here. That you are satisfied with something doesn´t mean you don´t want to try new gear. But I am satisfied with my system. My speakers deserve a much better room but I ain´t upgrading my room just yet... I would actually need to buy a new house!

Aug 19, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #29 of 73
i'm done for now. i am very content with my setup and love every dac/amp/headphone that i currently have...just waiting on a few upgrades and going to continue to tube roll a little.

i still want to try balanced with the HD650 and K701 in the future, but other than that, no interest in upgrading headphones or anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back