I am lost....need new everything
Jun 12, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #18 of 28
Haven't heard the S:flo2 yet (it's on the way to me though). Comfortably ahead of the Fuze I'd say.

Bear in mind any comments I make about DAPs would refer to their sound with all EQ and effects turned off (despite the huge range of options on Cowon players).

Jun 12, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #19 of 28
In general, the S:Flo 2 is said to have the better sound quality than Cowon players through the headphone-out. The feature that truly makes it an audiophile player (besides the utilitarian UI) is the Line Out Port (mini-to-mini works just fine). On the other hand, Cowon players are generally considered to have the best headphone out (besides the S:Flo 2, and on par with the Sony X Series and iPhone 3G). Cowon players also are great audio devices because they have one the largest arrays of sound enhancements.

Jun 12, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #20 of 28

Quote:
So the J3 sounds better than the S9?

Dude, I know you want answers to "your "question on SQ..like in the J3 impressions thread.....why hijack my thread with your questions? Just curious
angry_face.gif
must be an LA thing. ie.."I am the center of the world" Have some respect I would not start asking questions about buying this or that product in YOUR SQ thread...
angry_face.gif

Jun 14, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #21 of 28

Quote:
Dude, I know you want answers to "your "question on SQ..like in the J3 impressions thread.....why hijack my thread with your questions? Just curious
angry_face.gif
must be an LA thing. ie.."I am the center of the world" Have some respect I would not start asking questions about buying this or that product in YOUR SQ thread...
angry_face.gif

Woah, I don't think anyone is intentionally trying to hijack a thread.  This sort of thing just happens by the nature of how forums either work or don't work depending on how you see it.  Let it go, better fights to be had.  Like DFKT's Hifiman thread! 
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 14, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #22 of 28
As I write this, I am pulling a digital bitstream out through the dock connector of my iPad, using the camera connection kit.  USB cable running to the back of my RSA Predator, and Shure 530s.  Is it as good as my desktop system (MacBook Pro, Amarra, Ayre QB-9, RSA Raptor, Senn 800s)?  Of course not.  But it's the best sound I've ever gotten out of a portable setup.  If your source is any Apple product, bypassing the internal DAC and amp is critical to getting good sound.

Jun 14, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #23 of 28
^Which would require that or an iMod and an amp which costs more than the iPad itself. Of course if money isn't an issue it's a good solution to go to; of course I have yet to read how both of them stack up to the T51 (people state the T51 beats the iMod in SQ though). 

Jun 14, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #24 of 28
@Young Spade:

That's true if you don't own anything.  I've had the Predator and the 530s for a while, so the only cost associated with using them with the iPad is the $30 for the connector kit..

Jun 15, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #25 of 28

Quote:
@Young Spade:

That's true if you don't own anything.  I've had the Predator and the 530s for a while, so the only cost associated with using them with the iPad is the $30 for the connector kit..

Yea. And just to make it clear, I wasn't knocking your rig or the iMod's rig or anything :) How does it sound anyway? I'm sure it sounds pretty good as you're using the iPad as a DAC right? 

Jun 17, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #27 of 28

Yea. And just to make it clear, I wasn't knocking your rig or the iMod's rig or anything :) How does it sound anyway? I'm sure it sounds pretty good as you're using the iPad as a DAC right? 

No, I'm not using the iPad's internal DAC. I'm bypassing the iPad's audio circuitry completely. The Predator is a DAC/amp combo.

Jun 17, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #28 of 28

Quote:
Those are my main questions. Do I need an amp? What are the best earbuds, or iems for no amp? When do you need an amp? Do I need an amp for the kind of music and podcasts I listen to? What would be a great set up for a DAP +  phones without an amp that I can later add to if I wanted. I am guessing I would probably spend 4-$450 without an amp at first. So if you had 400 bucks or so what would you guys get to start?? Thanks for being so kind
biggrin.gif

Lets try to restart this:

DAP-Sflo2 (w/o podcasts) $110-$160 or Sansa Fuze (can get podcasts so I have read and has the option for LOD) $50-$80
IEM-Radius DDM or DBA-02 $150-$160

$200-$320 total w/ change left for an amp if you want.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back