I am having a difficult time choosing between these two headphones.
Aug 22, 2012 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

AudioGurl

New Head-Fier
Denon AH-D400 or Hifiman HE-400

I mainly listen to electronic music with bass and vocals. It is so hard to make up my mind and I can only afford one pair at this time.

Thanks!
beyersmile.png

Which one would you choose?

Aug 22, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:
Heya,

Do you want closed back or open air? Portability? Isolation? Do you prefer monstrous sub-bass, or do you want more of a flat response?

Very best,

For sure I want some good quality bass.  I am not sure what the open air and other options are.  I am new to this :D

Portable or not doesnt matter much.  I will use them at home most of the time.

I also want the little sounds and vocals to sound clear.  Is it possible to get all of these and great bass?

Aug 22, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:
For sure I want some good quality bass.  I am not sure what the open air and other options are.  I am new to this :D

Portable or not doesnt matter much.  I will use them at home most of the time.

I also want the little sounds and vocals to sound clear.  Is it possible to get all of these and great bass?

Heya,

Yes. And both options will provide that. It's the other things that matter in terms of giving you the answer to what you're looking for. Open air is open back, not isolated, meaning you share your sound with the room and vise verse. Closed back gives you some privacy, isolation. So if you're in a noisy home, or just have a lot of sounds you'd rather not hear during playback, which you choose matters.

If you want some isolation, get the Denon. The Denon will also provide better sub-bass most likely. A closed headphone generally is better at producing the sub-bass treats you're likely after.

Really I'd try to get you to get your hands on a used Denon D5000, which is now sadly discontinued. It's hands down my favorite headphone when I'm in the mood for excellent sub-bass while maintaining wonderful mids & treble.

Very best,

Aug 22, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #5 of 14
I have not used either headphone but would like to add, Orthodynamic headphones have some kind of voudou magic in them. I have used a few orthos and they all have had wondrous bass, mid, and hands down the best sound stage I have ever heard. the HE-400 being the ortho's.

Aug 22, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Heya,

Yes. And both options will provide that. It's the other things that matter in terms of giving you the answer to what you're looking for. Open air is open back, not isolated, meaning you share your sound with the room and vise verse. Closed back gives you some privacy, isolation. So if you're in a noisy home, or just have a lot of sounds you'd rather not hear during playback, which you choose matters.

If you want some isolation, get the Denon. The Denon will also provide better sub-bass most likely. A closed headphone generally is better at producing the sub-bass treats you're likely after.

Really I'd try to get you to get your hands on a used Denon D5000, which is now sadly discontinued. It's hands down my favorite headphone when I'm in the mood for excellent sub-bass while maintaining wonderful mids & treble.

Very best,

Yes isolation is something I would love. Sometimes i like listening to music late at night before bed. I wish i could get the denon d5000's if they are way better than the Denon AH-D400.

I really like the look of the denon d400!

Aug 22, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #8 of 14
Make a list:
Denon if you want to be close (no outside noise) & you dont have an amp.
HE400 if you are fine with open HP (general have bigger soundstage) and require a good amp to drive.
I am not sure if your budget will include an amp or not.

Aug 22, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
Heya,

Do you prefer monstrous sub-bass, or do you want more of a flat response?

Very best,

HE400 being flat
D400 for the sub bass (like a subwoofer)

alot of people pair the he400 with the fiio e17 for the bass boost.
If you want that BOOM BOOM BOOM sound go for the denon.

Aug 22, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:
HE400 being flat
D400 for the sub bass (like a subwoofer)

alot of people pair the he400 with the fiio e17 for the bass boost.
If you want that BOOM BOOM BOOM sound go for the denon.

Thanks!  I will buy the Denon AH-D400.  Is the fiio my best option for the denons? I am looking for a good portable amp that can connect to my laptop and my iphone.

Aug 22, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
Make a list:
Denon if you want to be close (no outside noise) & you dont have an amp.
HE400 if you are fine with open HP (general have bigger soundstage) and require a good amp to drive.
I am not sure if your budget will include an amp or not.

What will happen to the sound if the Denons already have an amp and I also get a fiio e17 or any other good portable amp?

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #13 of 14
The sounds will get better.
Denon is easy to drive, that's why I said if you dont have an amp/dac. But when you have it, you have more experience to the sound.

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #14 of 14
Thanks! I am going for the denons. I dont mind about the internal battery. When it dies i can try to open up the headphones and change it or i can just buy any newer model that came out at that time :D  hopefully in a few years after i purchase!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back