HYLA Audio Nerva X & CE-05 Impression thread
May 22, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #46 of 215
I don't care about those scratches, it is beautiful anyway.

giphy.gif

May 23, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #49 of 215
I have try matching my Hyla CE-5 with wm1a and zx300 in another shop yesterday. In this shop, I am planning to purchase zx300 but wanted to make sure I make the right decision. Well, the wm1a does not sounds veil unlike in the other shop while the zx300 is new for demo so not yet burn-in. After comparing for a while, I decide to purchase the Wm1a as the matching with Hyla seems good but yet to confirm until I try for a period. So end up buying wm1a instead of zx300 as I do not want to feel regret buying zx300 when I think wm1a should be a better dap. From Internet, i found that the output impedance of wm1a is 0.92 Ohm so it should be a good matching. Moreover, I have been wanting to try the balance of the Sony too.

May 23, 2018 at 5:23 AM Post #50 of 215
I have try matching my Hyla CE-5 with wm1a and zx300 in another shop yesterday. In this shop, I am planning to purchase zx300 but wanted to make sure I make the right decision. Well, the wm1a does not sounds veil unlike in the other shop while the zx300 is new for demo so not yet burn-in. After comparing for a while, I decide to purchase the Wm1a as the matching with Hyla seems good but yet to confirm until I try for a period. So end up buying wm1a instead of zx300 as I do not want to feel regret buying zx300 when I think wm1a should be a better dap. From Internet, i found that the output impedance of wm1a is 0.92 Ohm so it should be a good matching. Moreover, I have been wanting to try the balance of the Sony too.

Very nice. Burn in does make a difference on the wm1a sony recommends 200. I noticed after 100 and less so from there. Im still waiting on my loaner ce-5 which should of arrived days ago ugh.

May 23, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #51 of 215
I am using my Hyla CE-5 with Calyx M and ZX2, with slight preference on Calyx M, which sounded better than ZX2.

I was worried of the likely impedance matching of Calyx M known to have some issues with low impedance IEMs, but came out a nice surprise. No need to use the M Jack for the Calyx M, and the sound quality is superb.

May 24, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #55 of 215
May 24, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #56 of 215
These few I am listen to CE-5 with wm1a on stock Cable single-ended. I compare it to Sony N3 with kimber cable on balance. Even though wm1a has not burn in but compare this 2 iems, I still prefer CE-5 even though it is in single. The bass on CE-5 is still fantastic. N3 is not bad without comparing to CE-5. Wonder if CE-5 will sound even better if it is on balance.

May 27, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #57 of 215
Ok i've been able to spend a couple hours with the ce-5 and ill post some initial impressions.The hybrid nature of 3 different driver config really interested me and wanted to see how they were managed.

First of all the comfort on these are good despite its size the fit is especially good for me.

First thing i noticed is how good the bass is, and yes probably the best bass i've heard thus far. Texture, quality, quantity, speed and layering are top notch. Followed by very wide staging, top tier resolution and clarity and fantastic extension on both ends of the spectrum. Really good stuff here.

Unfortunately i run into my probably my first issue. The timbre isn't realistic which results resulting in the mids sounding abit thin.

Mids are slightly recessed but not hollow (e.g it03), vocals are slightly back in terms of stage. Vocals tend to sound a lil thin i would of liked abit more body. However the clarity is and separation is top tier. I also noticed some harshness with strings but not to the point where its a deal breaker.

Treble is well extended and resolution is once again very good, quite detailed.

So far i'am enjoying them very much the sound signature is something I've not heard before so i can see them complementing many iems. Its quite fun and has alot of energy but not exactly realistic but fun regardless.

I can say the for the asking price they are reaching totl levels. Which is very impressive indeed.

I would of like to compare to the similarly priced t8iemkii which i own and I'm very familiar with but they are on loan so i could try these. Thats all for now i'll post more detailed impressions once I've had some more time with them.

Extra - I was also loaned the pw audio no.5 copper cable which did help in the mids region.

Extra 2 - THAT BASS though.

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #58 of 215
I have just bought the xba-z5 to pair it with wm1a on balance using kimber cable. As both are new so not burn-in yet but I am curious about Z5 as many have sing praises about the z5.

I use CE-5 with Effect Audio Ares II plus(2.5mm) to have a short comparison with z5 using wm1a. On single ended for CE-5, the Z5 seems more warm than CE-5 so the bass is not as tight as CE-5. On balance for CE-5, I am using 4.4mm Effect Audio adapter. Both bass sounds almost the same yet CE-5 seems better control and tighter than z5. Z5 has more body in the mid than CE-5. String seems better on CE-5 as more clarity than z5 due to the warmer signature that it has. Both has good depth and width soundstage. I am impress with Z5.

As for mid which alphanumerix1 describe CE-5 as slightly thin and recess. For me I hear as good clarity and I may not understand about recess in the mid. So far, I like CE-5 and the bass is the best so far. Until Z5 and wm1a are burn-in, I will compare them again.

May 28, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #59 of 215
I had the XBA-Z5 too and agree that it is a really good IEM. It pairs very well with ZX2 and WM1A, especially balanced.

As for CE-5, I don't find mid anyway "thin" or "recess". We probably have differently sound preference, as I find the mid really smooth and seductive for the vocals that I listen to, pairing with Calyx M.

I have just bought the xba-z5 to pair it with wm1a on balance using kimber cable. As both are new so not burn-in yet but I am curious about Z5 as many have sing praises about the z5.

I use CE-5 with Effect Audio Ares II plus(2.5mm) to have a short comparison with z5 using wm1a. On single ended for CE-5, the Z5 seems more warm than CE-5 so the bass is not as tight as CE-5. On balance for CE-5, I am using 4.4mm Effect Audio adapter. Both bass sounds almost the same yet CE-5 seems better control and tighter than z5. Z5 has more body in the mid than CE-5. String seems better on CE-5 as more clarity than z5 due to the warmer signature that it has. Both has good depth and width soundstage. I am impress with Z5.

As for mid which alphanumerix1 describe CE-5 as slightly thin and recess. For me I hear as good clarity and I may not understand about recess in the mid. So far, I like CE-5 and the bass is the best so far. Until Z5 and wm1a are burn-in, I will compare them again.

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #60 of 215
I had the XBA-Z5 too and agree that it is a really good IEM. It pairs very well with ZX2 and WM1A, especially balanced.

As for CE-5, I don't find mid anyway "thin" or "recess". We probably have differently sound preference, as I find the mid really smooth and seductive for the vocals that I listen to, pairing with Calyx M.

I notice something off on male vocals especially.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back