HUM Pervasion is coming - New DAP in Town
Aug 17, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #121 of 152
Aahh, thanks for sharing that. I'm not sure if any of the ones I've seen were the first version. The ones I've seen in Aus are all red and might be V2 only (non Class A). Perhaps the update to mine was a slight revision to the original V2 because I believe it was a cap swap only and therefore wouldn't change the amp stage THAT significantly.

Aug 17, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #122 of 152
The newer version does utilize MELF's and Analog Volume, which I am a big fan of both, so it certainly has some worthwhile improvements over the original, but I can't help wanting me some Class A!

Aug 17, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #123 of 152
Hmmmm... I'm not sure that it is a legit class A amp section. Class A is usually made with JFET and MOSFET chips, not opamps. I think it maybe just be a class AB amplifier like most of the portable gear out there.

Aug 17, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #124 of 152
  Hmmmm... I'm not sure that it is a legit class A amp section. Class A is usually made with JFET and MOSFET chips, not opamps. I think it maybe just be a class AB amplifier like most of the portable gear out there.

Nah opamps can be biased to work in Class A through their implementation, Hum seems to be using 3 opamp's with 6 discrete component's to create class A output, opamps are no different to a discrete design on a circuitry schematic level, opamps are just a circuit network that has been shrunk down and printed on a chip, so opamps can do nearly anything you could achieve in a discrete circuit, only opamps save space and cost (obviously a fully discrete design would be better) but opamps are the most viable solution in a dap, and opamps are still used in 2k desktop gear, so you can imagine that their performance is plenty good.

There are other dap's that use some form of class A output, like QA360 uses a opamp with 6 discrete transistor's for class A output, and Pono uses a opamp with a discrete diamond buffer output which is similar to class A. Pono ftw.

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #125 of 152

Nah opamps can be biased to work in Class A through their implementation, Hum seems to be using 3 opamp's with 6 discrete component's to create class A output, opamps are no different to a discrete design on a circuitry schematic level, opamps are just a circuit network that has been shrunk down and printed on a chip, so opamps can do nearly anything you could achieve in a discrete circuit, only opamps save space and cost (obviously a fully discrete design would be better) but opamps are the most viable solution in a dap, and opamps are still used in 2k desktop gear, so you can imagine that their performance is plenty good.

There are other dap's that use some form of class A output, like QA360 uses a opamp with 6 discrete transistor's for class A output, and Pono uses a opamp with a discrete diamond buffer output which is similar to class A. Pono ftw.

I know that Opamps are use on the DAC stage as just a line out, but I've not seen any pure Class A opamp that don't use a JFET or a MOSFET as the power amp.

Aug 18, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #126 of 152

I know that Opamps are use on the DAC stage as just a line out, but I've not seen any pure Class A opamp that don't use a JFET or a MOSFET as the power amp.

Google it, most opamps can be converted to class A output quite easily. Opamps are used a lot more than as line out, they can be used in every area after the dac, such as: IV, LPF, Voltage Amp, Buffer, and aside from use in the analog stage opamps can be made for many other functions also.

Aug 18, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #127 of 152

Google it, most opamps can be converted to class A output quite easily. Opamps are used a lot more than as line out, they can be used in every area after the dac, such as: IV, LPF, Voltage Amp, Buffer, and aside from use in the analog stage opamps can be made for many other functions also.

What I mean is, I know that it's possible to do, but I've not seen one product that uses a Class A IC opamp that's not a discrete design which integrate JFET or MOSFET. Do you know any? The closest I've seen is class AB which is the most common for IC opamps.

Aug 20, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #130 of 152
^ Still have DX90 on me. Honestly I can already tell that there is no better or worse choice here as far as overall sound quality goes, genre and sound preference or pairing will determine which one each person gravitates to, they all have their own strong points and not so great aspects.

I'm personally still leaning towards Pono out of the three daps, I dig it's neutral tone and airy smooth nature while Hum goes for a more lush and warm tone without sacrificing treble energy, also has a nice depth to it's sound. DX90 is similar to Pono in that it has a neutral tone, but it has slightly harder edges to it's sound for greater perceived detail and harder hitting sound at the expense of a more 'digital' sound than the smoother Pono. I will do a better comparison later on, but DX90 and Pono are more up my alley than the Hum.

Aug 20, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #131 of 152
  ^ Still have DX90 on me. Honestly I can already tell that there is no better or worse choice here as far as overall sound quality goes, genre and sound preference or pairing will determine which one each person gravitates to, they all have their own strong points and not so great aspects.

I'm personally still leaning towards Pono out of the three daps, I dig it's neutral tone and airy smooth nature while Hum goes for a more lush and warm tone without sacrificing treble energy, also has a nice depth to it's sound. DX90 is similar to Pono in that it has a neutral tone, but it has slightly harder edges to it's sound for greater perceived detail and harder hitting sound at the expense of a more 'digital' sound than the smoother Pono. I will do a better comparison later on, but DX90 and Pono are more up my alley than the Hum.

That pretty much aligns exactly with my general thoughts. Between Pono, DX90, Hum, there isn't really a true winner. Comes down to your pairing, synergy, with the listener's headphone / IEM. So I just set each player with the IEM I think sounds best and leave them as a complete rig. 

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #134 of 152
Hum can throw out some serious detail for its price. Thick walls of detail along with strong dynamics. Fun for vocals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back