Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 19, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #18,811 of 18,905
Has anyone tried, does TT2 significantly benefit from feeding through DDC?
Try a DDC with toslink to TT2.
That isolates best from your PC's noise.
Disconnect all other inputs on TT2.

Mar 19, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #18,812 of 18,905
Well, my TT2 is now a mono device, right channel is silent from any input to any output.

Second owner, so not under warranty. screw

Weird too. Worked fine one day, dead the next.

Mar 19, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #18,813 of 18,905
Try a DDC with toslink to TT2.
That isolates best from your PC's noise.
Disconnect all other inputs on TT2.
I've read several times that Toslink is the worst solution jitter-wise (this can even be observed in the ASR article about TT2).

Honestly, DDC also sounds like a controversial solution to me -> it's doing something with the original USB signal and Robb Watts is not found of external clocks (DDC usually do re-clocking).

A clean USB source (especially taking into account the galvanic isolation of TT2) sounds like a perfect scenario, but I can't achieve it, because working PC is the only convenient source for me ATM (otherwise, I would go some external digital source)

Mar 19, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #18,814 of 18,905
I've read several times that Toslink is the worst solution jitter-wise (this can even be observed in the ASR article about TT2).

Honestly, DDC also sounds like a controversial solution to me -> it's doing something with the original USB signal and Robb Watts is not found of external clocks (DDC usually do re-clocking).

A clean USB source (especially taking into account the galvanic isolation of TT2) sounds like a perfect scenario, but I can't achieve it, because working PC is the only convenient source for me ATM (otherwise, I would go some external digital source)
you can try jitterbug audio quest and the likes from ifi etc....however it helps with one problem but adds another, so pick your poison

Mar 19, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #18,815 of 18,905

There are so many conflicting reports. “In my system, toslink was best…”, then followed by “USB is the cleanest sounding in my system…” and then “coax its warm and smooth and best sounding in my system…”

The system within which TT2 sits is important. If the source has one output that operates better (less noise) than another, it’s going to sound better. As a result, a universal recommendation I don’t think is possible. I think it’s going to be system dependent.

In your case, USB from a PC, a DDC might well offer you a meaningful improvement. As suggested above, a JitterBug from AudioQuest might help instead. You’d need to try it.

Chord DACs are marvellously jitter tolerant. Perhaps the best on the market for that? Hence optical being a very good solution for a lot of people. You get electrical isolation and the high jitter inherent in the method isn’t really a problem. Hence, it’s recommended a lot.

Good luck!

Mar 19, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #18,816 of 18,905
the jitter bug is not about jitter, fyi. It smooths out the sound a bit, at the expense of power. So an optimal music server doesn’t need it at all. A noisy pc might but you lose a little something as a trade off. However 50 bucks is just 50 bucks

Mar 19, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #18,817 of 18,905
the jitter bug is not about jitter, fyi. It smooths out the sound a bit, at the expense of power. So an optimal music server doesn’t need it at all. A noisy pc might but you lose a little something as a trade off. However 50 bucks is just 50 bucks
Agreed. Was a lovely addition when I ran various laptops. Not useful when an Innuos arrived.

Mar 20, 2024 at 5:45 AM Post #18,818 of 18,905
Well, my TT2 is now a mono device, right channel is silent from any input to any output.

Second owner, so not under warranty. screw

Weird too. Worked fine one day, dead the next.
You could check, if it is only on xlr or only on rca. Or did you mean headphone jacks?

If it is broken, I would have it fixed, still cheaper than buying new. But seems like there already was an issue.

Or maybe you are lucky it is the headphone😉 but I guess you already tried that. Hmm in case of a susvara that still not feel lucky 🤔

Mar 20, 2024 at 11:34 AM Post #18,819 of 18,905
You could check, if it is only on xlr or only on rca. Or did you mean headphone jacks?

If it is broken, I would have it fixed, still cheaper than buying new. But seems like there already was an issue.

Or maybe you are lucky it is the headphone😉 but I guess you already tried that. Hmm in case of a susvara that still not feel lucky 🤔
Unfortunately, I tried all the outputs, and it’s dead on every output, also out for different headphones.

Mar 22, 2024 at 5:11 AM Post #18,820 of 18,905
Has anybody tried to feed TT2 from Ian Canada transportpi AES? According to transport specs: Support of AES/EBU and SPDIF streams up to 192kHz. Possibility to support 384kHz with qualified receiver.
I wonder if it is possible to send 384kHz sample rate to TT2 BNC input?

Mar 23, 2024 at 3:53 AM Post #18,821 of 18,905
Bruno Putzey’s was interviewed on Darko’s podcast and specifically address LPS vs SMPS. Worth a listen
It is not only the point smps vs lps, a lot of smps throw noise on the line. The same way as my annoying (housewarming) heatpump, if that damn thing is on, I won’t even listen to music.

I saw the link to the podcast on what (minutes) part he talkes about lps vs smps? Quite a long pod. Curious about his opinion :)

Mar 23, 2024 at 4:24 AM Post #18,822 of 18,905
It is not only the point smps vs lps, a lot of smps throw noise on the line. The same way as my annoying (housewarming) heatpump, if that damn thing is on, I won’t even listen to music.

I saw the link to the podcast on what (minutes) part he talkes about lps vs smps? Quite a long pod. Curious about his opinion :)
No idea, sorry. You’ll need to find it. The whole thing is good.

Mar 23, 2024 at 5:01 AM Post #18,823 of 18,905
You are forgetting a point. Most smps
Are simple psu’s. Unlinke the supercharger burson smps, most are of lower quality. That is wat the article also explains in the end.

My experience is still that a decent very well build external lps psu is a better option than a cheap build smps.

I experienced more than once, introducing a decent lps, (replacing a small standard smps) gave a calmer and darker background. The changes are small. But still there in a positive way.

I do a agree a very well made smps can still be as good (but a lot of them aren’t)

Mar 23, 2024 at 12:30 PM Post #18,824 of 18,905
I am currently auditioning a TT2 using the Hypsos as a power supply. The stock psu has been misplaced. Can anyone let me know which PSU has Chord sanctioned as an appropriate replacement or at least the specs…just looking for something similar to the stock one. Thanks

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #18,825 of 18,905
I am currently auditioning a TT2 using the Hypsos as a power supply. The stock psu has been misplaced. Can anyone let me know which PSU has Chord sanctioned as an appropriate replacement or at least the specs…just looking for something similar to the stock one. Thanks
I don't remember Chord sanctioning any other power supplies.
Here are the details of the Chord supply if you want to google the details.
Googling dys865 gets links to several equivalent power supplies, but not with the Chord branding on them.

Attachments

• 20240323_174325.jpg
    20240323_174325.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back