Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 16, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #18,211 of 18,968
my custom made cables wired correctly to hook up my tt2 with a jl d110 dominion powered sub have arrived.

could i double check if looking directly at the rear of the tt2 the male xlr's pins are numbered as follows?

photos once all is set up.
Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 04.48.57.png
@Rob Watts knowing that some users have used wrongly wired cables, can you validate the pinout shown in musickids image? :relaxed:

Nov 16, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #18,212 of 18,968
I was able to try out the TT2 last weekend at CAF. HeadAmp had one at their booth in DAC mode for the GSX and Audeze had one as both DAC and amp. I listened to the two MM-series Audezes on it. Honestly can't say much about the TT2's sound, as I was using headphones that I'm not entirely familiar with (I've demoed the -500 on the Ferrum Erco before but it was my first time hearing the -100) and I was more focused on the differences between the headphones anyways. But I will say that the form factor is pretty appealing (not much larger than my Erco) and the volume marble is very cute!

Nov 16, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #18,213 of 18,968
I was able to try out the TT2 last weekend at CAF. HeadAmp had one at their booth in DAC mode for the GSX and Audeze had one as both DAC and amp. I listened to the two MM-series Audezes on it. Honestly can't say much about the TT2's sound, as I was using headphones that I'm not entirely familiar with (I've demoed the -500 on the Ferrum Erco before but it was my first time hearing the -100) and I was more focused on the differences between the headphones anyways. But I will say that the form factor is pretty appealing (not much larger than my Erco) and the volume marble is very cute!
@SolarCetacean not only the volume marble is cute but the volume control is amazing like in all Rob Watts designs.

I would say that MM-500 are not transparent enougth to demonstrate TT2 sound signature, detail and instrument separation while their hint of warmth and a bit of almost disorted-like sound signature could be for some good match with TT2 tuning and musicality. IMHO TT2 excels in live and acoustic or classical recordings and MM-500 aren't so great for those gernes but if you are Audeze fan I would say those are the most fun cans out of whole current production line. Can"t say anything about other MMs.

Last but not least, every Audeze cans I had or tried souded better to me not via TT2 headphone outputs but via seprate headphone amp connected to TT2. This includes even LCD-1 (second gen) that are easy to drive headphones.

Nov 17, 2023 at 5:03 AM Post #18,214 of 18,968
Hi Mike,

Many thanks for your concern. The xlr to rca cables are wired as Rob advised and i have double checked this using a multimeter to do a continuity check on the cables. The results show the cables are exactly as they should be. I'm not taking any chances here. The last point i'm trying to understand is what are the pin numbers of the tt2 male xlr pins looking directly at the tt2 head on from the rear. Just to remind everyone why im going through all this effort its to get a JL d110 dominion powered subwoofer playing in sync with my kef ls50 meta speakers which have been powered throught the rca outs of the tt2 for about a year now with excellent breathtaking results. The sub is extremely high quality.

IMG_20230909_170724627.jpg

1700215466514.png

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #18,215 of 18,968
The final piece of this puzzle concerning identifying the correct pins on the back of the tt2 has kindly been explained by Steve. A simple continuity test using my multimeter. Very excited to get this mini project moving.

Nov 19, 2023 at 4:16 AM Post #18,216 of 18,968
Today I noticed that TT2 stops working instantly when disconnecting the DC cable, not running for 10 more seconds like it should. Maybe is a problem with supercapacitors, should I worry? Otherwise is working normally.

Nov 20, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #18,221 of 18,968
does anybody know why the xlr pins on tt2 are not numbered in the same way that xlr pins are numbered on cables?

Nov 20, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #18,222 of 18,968
does anybody know why the xlr pins on tt2 are not numbered in the same way that xlr pins are numbered on cables?
The socket numberings on the cable have to be a mirror image of the pin numberings on the tt2 otherwise when you plug them together things would not work.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #18,224 of 18,968
i understand you can identify pin 1 ground on tt2 by doing a continuity test with a multimeter. this method has been explained to me then male pins 2 and 3 would follow on.

apart from doing a multimeter test i still dont understand how you can identify pins 1 to 3 on tt2 without a continuity test.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #18,225 of 18,968
i understand you can identify pin 1 ground on tt2 by doing a continuity test with a multimeter. this method has been explained to me then male pins 2 and 3 would follow on.

apart from doing a multimeter test i still dont understand how you can identify pins 1 to 3 on tt2 without a continuity test.
I think you are overthinking this quite a lot.

You can identify Pin 1 on the tt2 because it is electrically connected to the case. A continuity test will show this. Pins 2 and 3 have signal and inverted signal respectively. Nothing will blow up if by some chance you swapped 2 and 3 over. It is very unlikely that they would be swapped in your case as you have had the cables made professionally.

The diagram that I sent you by pm is completely unambiguous. All cables and devices that are made in the industry follow this convention. You can plug in xlr cables without needing to worry.

SmartSelect_20231116_121041_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back