Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 3, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #18,181 of 19,009
Many thanks Steve,

I'm aiming to use two seperate xlr to rca cables. If i get it custom made after more reading is this finally correct and what i should tell the cable manufacturer.

XLR PIN 2 is connected to the centre RCA pin, XLR PIN 1 ground.

In this case pin 2 hot or single is connected to the centre rca pin which carries the signal and 3 unconnected. (edit)

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #18,182 of 19,009
JL AUDIO D110

1699016981620.png

Nov 3, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #18,183 of 19,009
Many thanks Steve,

I'm aiming to use two seperate xlr to rca cables. If i get it custom made after more reading is this finally correct and what i should tell the cable manufacturer.

XLR PIN 2 is connected to the centre RCA pin, XLR PIN 1 & 3 are connected to the ring of the RCA plug (earthed).

In this case pin 2 hot or single is connected to the centre rca pin which carries the signal and 1 and 3 as described?
In your application I think pin 3 should be left totally disconnected. Your subs do not have any use for the negative ie inverted version of the signal which is present in pin 3 in an xlr balanced connector between balanced devices.

If you were to connect pin 3 to ground as well I think this would be ugly for your tt2 as the tt2 is outputting a signal on pin 3 which you would be grounding ie shorting out.

I think this is why Rob only mentioned pins 1 & 2 to you in this application.

Nov 3, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #18,184 of 19,009
I'm going to confirm all of this with Rob. Do you know of a company that could build this cable or even any headfi member that would for pay? I'm looking at two 2m cables? many thanks

Nov 3, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #18,185 of 19,009
I took a long break from listening to my MScaler and Hugo TT2, a few days ago I started to listen to them again and I completely forgot that my mscaler had decimated my music library, songs that weren’t mastered good now sound schit.

The long break I took from using my TT2 setup, I forgot what the MScaler is capable of, which is, it‘s capable of decimating poorly mastered tracks.

Good mastered tracks and albums sound like Tony The Tiger from the Frosties commercial, “They’re Greeeeeeeeeeeat“, and poorly mastered tracks sound like a competitor to Chord DAC’s, and that would be Schiit. I’m not saying Schiit makes bad dacs, I’m merely just trying to say the word thats slang for excrement, but the closest I can get to is schit.

Anyway, I think new albums should be mastered with headphone users in mind, maybe not fully but they should pay more attention to headphone users when it comes to mastering albums and that they have proper placement in both L & R channels. The Chesky Brothers do it, and they do it so bad that it’s good.

Also I bought me one of these yesterday, I already have one but it’s branded Lindy, but this one is Tacima ( the original maker ) as I don’t think Lindy still make them as they weren’t on their website or on amazon. I actually think these work, maybe not a huge sonic improvement, but it’s a very slight change. For the price, it’s a worthwhile investment just for the protective features alone.

IMG_0464.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #18,186 of 19,009
I'm going to confirm all of this with Rob. Do you know of a company that could build this cable or even any headfi member that would for pay? I'm looking at two 2m cables? many thanks
For those cable lengths you might find that the various options on wireless sub connection are viable both on cost grounds and on wire clutter.

I think commercial 3-pin xlr to rca cables should be available.

If you go the wireless route then your original idea of a single twin 3-pin xlr to twin rca cable would work as the two wireless transmission boxes for the left and right channels could be sited fairly close to each other with the two subs themselves placed as far away as you like.

Nov 3, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #18,187 of 19,009
wireless is not lossless so dont really want to go near it. from what i know you cant beat a wired connection. the commercial cables might not have pin 3 disconnected from what ive read. its getting more and more involved lol.

Nov 3, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #18,188 of 19,009

If you have a soldering iron then it should be easy and take you 20-30 minutes if you take your time to do it right, if unsure then I’d advise you to get someone to build them for you or some stores will build a cable for you to your specs. Maplins used to do it, but I’m not sure if they are still around as I think they went out of business, but I see they have a website marked 2023, try them if you are not sure about making them yourself.

Probably the sensible thing to do considering the price of your gear.

Nov 3, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #18,189 of 19,009
wireless is not lossless so dont really want to go near it. from what i know you cant beat a wired connection. the commercial cables might not have pin 3 disconnected from what ive read. its getting more and more involved lol.
"Wireless is not lossless" is a very sweeping generalisation. High bandwidth wireless connections are routinely used in audio streamers etc with no losses.

To transmit the low audio frequencies that are useful to a sub only requires a quite low bandwidth connection anyway.

No sane sub manufacturer will implement a wireless connection that degrades the sound of their product.

As to where to obtain your adapters, Moon Audio is a quality outfit that supplies a large range of such connectors. Their support system will help you to ensure that you get exactly the product you need. They are also a Chord dealer so they know what is necessary to connect your tt2 safely to a sub via the xlr outputs.

Don't be put off by the seeming complexity. What you want to do is sensible and viable 😀

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #18,190 of 19,009
Thankyou Steve

Youve really helped me alot today and put this whole thing into context for me. The next step will be to investigate wireless im sure JL do a wireless unit for my sub and also to contact moon audio and hopefully they can just supply me with the right cable without me trying to figure it out. In this picture i found on the web the owner claims the JL D110 // LS50 META combo outperforms many speakers at many times the cost. Here he is using dave into a large amp (brand not sure) to ls50 metas and D110 sub which i both have. The sub is under the computer on the right. I power my kefs single ended from tt2 // mscaler.

1699027941803.png

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #18,191 of 19,009
I'm running single ended tt2 into my kef metas speakers with great results. I want to connect a d110 jl audio powered subwoofer from the tt2 using two xlr to rca cables. Is it simply a matter of using any 2 x 3 pole female xlr connectors? I've never used xlr before so this is new territory for me.

I've been given this advice by Rob:

use pins 1 (gnd) and pins 2 (hot or signal).

so will any xlr connector numbered as follows work?

Screenshot 2023-11-03 at 06.37.06.png
The rca inputs on the JL are for line in (i.e. from a receiver) and not speaker level in. If you are using the TT2 in line out mode that would be OK. If you are using the TT2 to drive the KEF then the speaker level input on the JL would be better and you could parallel it with the speaker wires. I am not sure how your META's work. i.e. passive or integrated amp. BTW I run an e112 in my theatre. Great sub.

Nov 3, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #18,192 of 19,009
Hello

My kefs are passive powered single ended from my mTT2. The xlr out from the tt2 is a low level signal (18W) so the xlr outs will be connected to the line level in on the sub. XLR TO RCA. As the kefs are powered single ended from the tt2 this is a low level signal so i could not use speaker level input in the way you stated.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #18,193 of 19,009
Hello

My kefs are passive powered single ended from my mTT2. The xlr out from the tt2 is a low level signal (18W) so the xlr outs will be connected to the line level in on the sub. XLR TO RCA. As the kefs are powered single ended from the tt2 this is a low level signal so i could not use speaker level input in the way you stated.

Can you not just use a RCA splitter?
One RCA to speaker wires .
One RCA to RCA for the sub.

Nov 3, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #18,194 of 19,009
Hope this works out for you.
Follow Robs advice about pins etc, but it should be reasonably straightforward to DIY a cable, or get a custom build.
I say that painfully aware that some ex-posters like Paul-2qute (or however it was spelt) did differently, and toasted their TT2s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back