Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 23, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #18,151 of 18,991
Is TT2 still relevant price wise in 2023 for the best neutral DAC/headphone amp combo at around 4K€ ?
Thanks
New? I'm not sure if it's still relevant. It is a great DAC. Seriously, great. But with used prices running 35% less than the new price why buy new? It's a DAC. It's not going to show wear or problems due to a couple of years of use. And the TT2 has been on the market so long that used items are plentiful.

I hate saying that... because having just bought one (used for about 45% below the price new) I am truly in love with the quality and sound this DAC provides. Of course, I haven't heard any other new DACs in the same price range as the TT2 costs new. Today there are plenty of new DACs with very high prices available. I don't doubt that the TT2 is able to compete with those DACs, but those other new DACs aren't as plentiful or affordable on the used market as the TT2 is currently.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #18,152 of 18,991
Is TT2 still relevant price wise in 2023 for the best neutral DAC/headphone amp combo at around 4K€ ?
Thanks
Forgot about other companies refresh cycles, those are not comparable data points. As an AIO, with quality dac and amp which can drive nearly every headphone on the market (excluding e-stats without conversion box), there are maybe a handful of options. It’s relevant, and Chord products have staying power for good reason. Even new with a dealer discount it’s a great buy.

Oct 23, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #18,153 of 18,991
Here's a head scratcher for you: I've owned both the Hugo TT and Hugo TT2. Both outstanding units.

Here is what I do not understand: Using the Hugo TT as a desktop headphone amp for a pair of Ultrasone Edition 15 Veritas, the TT sounds more pleasant than the TT2? The tonal balance sounds more even, slightly more smoother and forgiving. Very little difference in noticeable detail between the two.

It doesn't make any sense to me. Why would the TT sound more pleasant than the more advanced TT2 when using the headphone amp built into the DAC?
It's got me stumped. Is it the difference in the analog sections? One would have thought the TT2 would/should be better. They both sound sound great, but the TT is slightly more enjoyable.

For the time being, will continue to use the TT as the daily driver for the Edition 15 Veritas cans.

Oct 23, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #18,154 of 18,991
Here's a head scratcher for you: I've owned both the Hugo TT and Hugo TT2. Both outstanding units.

Here is what I do not understand: Using the Hugo TT as a desktop headphone amp for a pair of Ultrasone Edition 15 Veritas, the TT sounds more pleasant than the TT2? The tonal balance sounds more even, slightly more smoother and forgiving. Very little difference in noticeable detail between the two.

It doesn't make any sense to me. Why would the TT sound more pleasant than the more advanced TT2 when using the headphone amp built into the DAC?
It's got me stumped. Is it the difference in the analog sections? One would have thought the TT2 would/should be better. They both sound sound great, but the TT is slightly more enjoyable.

For the time being, will continue to use the TT as the daily driver for the Edition 15 Veritas cans.
Because “pleasant” is a personal preference and the two have slightly different sounds. Not a big deal, just use what you like most!

Oct 23, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #18,155 of 18,991
Thanks
Extremely relevant. There are other DACs in the same price range you might prefer more, but it’s a case of not better or worst, just different. I will agree with the above sentiment that it could well be the best DAC/pre/amp combo available though. I ADORE my HMS/TT2 combo, but I heard the Weiss DAC501 in my system for a weekend and it was amazeballs, too. You just don’t know until you’ve heard it all.

As an example, a Hugo2 using friend borrowed my HMS/TT2 and my Linear Tube Audio MZ3 headphone amp for a week when he was thinking of upgrades. To him, Hugo2 + MZ3 was a far more enjoyable combo driving his headphones than the HMS/TT2 combo alone.

Good luck!

Oct 23, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #18,156 of 18,991
Extremely relevant. There are other DACs in the same price range you might prefer more, but it’s a case of not better or worst, just different. I will agree with the above sentiment that it could well be the best DAC/pre/amp combo available though. I ADORE my HMS/TT2 combo, but I heard the Weiss DAC501 in my system for a weekend and it was amazeballs, too. You just don’t know until you’ve heard it all.

As an example, a Hugo2 using friend borrowed my HMS/TT2 and my Linear Tube Audio MZ3 headphone amp for a week when he was thinking of upgrades. To him, Hugo2 + MZ3 was a far more enjoyable combo driving his headphones than the HMS/TT2 combo alone.

Good luck!
Funny you mention that. Over on a Discord site, whilst people love the TT2 as a DAC, they are not all that jazzed about the headphone out from the TT2.

Oct 23, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #18,157 of 18,991
Funny you mention that. Over on a Discord site, whilst people love the TT2 as a DAC, they are not all that jazzed about the headphone out from the TT2.
I used it as a headphone amp for a few years and was very, very happy. Stellia and Utopia. When I finally bought the MZ3 I was very happy with the improvement. Didn’t make the previous two years meaningless.

I can easily see people using harder to drive headphones, or those preferring a different sonic presentation, definitely wanting an amp. However, some of the language around it is a bit absurd. The TT2 amp is excellent. Adding an amp more to one’s liking doesn’t diminish the TT2. Some of the talk around, you’d think it’s a competition and that there’s a “best”. But there isn’t. There can’t be.

Find what floats your boat. Use it. Ignore everyone else. Especially those who try to tell you your choices are wrong. Those people suck.

Oct 23, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #18,158 of 18,991
I used it as a headphone amp for a few years and was very, very happy. Stellia and Utopia. When I finally bought the MZ3 I was very happy with the improvement. Didn’t make the previous two years meaningless.

I can easily see people using harder to drive headphones, or those preferring a different sonic presentation, definitely wanting an amp. However, some of the language around it is a bit absurd. The TT2 amp is excellent. Adding an amp more to one’s liking doesn’t diminish the TT2. Some of the talk around, you’d think it’s a competition and that there’s a “best”. But there isn’t. There can’t be.

Find what floats your boat. Use it. Ignore everyone else. Especially those who try to tell you your choices are wrong. Those people suck.
I totally agree. I also had the Stellia. Excellent headphone. I wound up liking the Ultrasone Edition 15 Veritas better.

I also use a OTL headphone amp with the Chord DAC's. The OTL tube headphone amp fleshes out the Chord DAC out with classical music. Tube rolling really improved the sound. Wound up with a Bendix 6080, and a RCA 5691 tube. With the Edition 15, the Chord TT works for me more than the TT2 using the headphone amp section.

It's all good!

Oct 23, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #18,159 of 18,991

Because the interpolation filter of the TT is nowhere near as good as the TT-2, you're hearing less transient accuracy leading to softer sounds which you may call "pleasant". I on the other hand don't care about "pleasant". Live music is not pleasant, it is raw and impacfull. But, to each his own.

Oct 25, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #18,161 of 18,991
Because the interpolation filter of the TT is nowhere near as good as the TT-2, you're hearing less transient accuracy leading to softer sounds which you may call "pleasant". I on the other hand don't care about "pleasant". Live music is not pleasant, it is raw and impacfull. But, to each his own.
Whilst that is true, the analog section may be at play at well. The TT uses the battery for the analog section, which may be part of the reason as well.
They both sound great.

Oct 25, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #18,162 of 18,991
Whilst that is true, the analog section may be at play at well. The TT uses the battery for the analog section, which may be part of the reason as well.
They both sound great.
True, but the TT-2 uses super capacitors to do the same function, Rob Watts has repeatedly said that using batteries on TT-2 makes no difference due to all the filtering and the super caps.

Oct 25, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #18,163 of 18,991
Having the TT1, TT2/Mscaler, Mojo 1 and Mojo 2 I can confirm that when paired with the right iem the TT1 has a magic that enables hours of continuous listening. If you want to push the Mojo 2 to it’s max try this with 768k files of your choice:

IMG_4284.jpeg

Oct 26, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #18,164 of 18,991

It could be down to the fact that the O.G TT has batteries inside and thats what powers it whilst TT2 has super caps, I’m not sure if the super caps muddy the sound more than batteries in TT do, but at the end of the day, they are both very good and even a new old stock TT at what, roughly half the price of a new TT2 ? is still a very competitive dac for the price.

Oct 26, 2023 at 3:46 AM Post #18,165 of 18,991
Having the TT1, TT2/Mscaler, Mojo 1 and Mojo 2 I can confirm that when paired with the right iem the TT1 has a magic that enables hours of continuous listening. If you want to push the Mojo 2 to it’s max try this with 768k files of your choice:

IMG_4284.jpeg

Like your setup dude, you has pm inbound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back