Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 25, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #15,887 of 19,009
delete

Feb 27, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #15,888 of 19,009
I would like to share my impression of comparing TT2 to Chord Dave. I feed both DACs with Mscaler and Chord 2go+2yu streamer. The headphone amplifiers I used for AB comparison: WA33 standard version, OG cavalli liquid gold and Headamp BHSE. Head phones I used: Abyss 1266 Phi TC, HD800s, LCD4, Verite closed, HE1000se, SR009 and SR007.

I had ABed these two DACs for about a week. They sound very similar to my ears although I can pass blind ABX test. Dave's sound stage is a little wider and its sound imaging is a little less distant comparing to that of TT2. Details and tonality are very similar between the two. To be honest, TT2's sound feels like Dave with level1 crossfeed (Dave doesn't have crossfeed in its DAC mode so can't compare directly). The layering of Dave sounds a little better defined than TT2 because of its closer sound field. Dave doesn't have the capacitor charging noise of TT2 which could be annoying when you listen nearby your DAC.

I would say TT2 is a great DAC and it is probably the sweet spot in Chord's DAC ladder for headphone users. On speaker system my impressions may change. It has a more powerful headphone amp than Dave too. I also did comparison between TT2 and Hugo2 a while ago and I could tell TT2 is noticeably better.

Feb 27, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #15,889 of 19,009
I wonder how the Dave plus M scaler compares to a DCS Bartok? Once you add in a wave storm BNC are pretty much in the same ballpark. I read one review of the bar talk and said it didn’t sound as good as the Dave

Feb 27, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #15,890 of 19,009
I wonder how the Dave plus M scaler compares to a DCS Bartok? Once you add in a wave storm BNC are pretty much in the same ballpark. I read one review of the bar talk and said it didn’t sound as good as the Dave

Feb 27, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #15,891 of 19,009
I find that TT2 without the M Scaler you feel more bass and sub-bass impact. With M Scaler things get quieter and smoother / "laid back". Is this supposed to be the case? I am having a hard time figuring out what the M Scaler is changing to my music. Solo TT2 seems to be louder so is that why I feel the bass impact is a bit more pronounced? I am using Abyss 1266 TC headphones exclusively, no stereo setup.

Feb 27, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #15,892 of 19,009
I find that TT2 without the M Scaler you feel more bass and sub-bass impact. With M Scaler things get quieter and smoother / "laid back". Is this supposed to be the case? I am having a hard time figuring out what the M Scaler is changing to my music. Solo TT2 seems to be louder so is that why I feel the bass impact is a bit more pronounced? I am using Abyss 1266 TC headphones exclusively, no stereo setup.
there is a 3db difference with m-scaler in the chain.

Imo the m-scaler adds smoothness. seperation. more realism. better timing and bigger soundstage and layering. it does not add more resolution or detail.

without the m-scaler there definetley seemed to be a more bloated bass so maybe you just prefer this. Also different BNC cables make a difference and can definetley affect bass. I cant speak for the TT2 as i dont own it anymore so cant test it right now but I MUCH prefer the bass of the DAVE with M-scaler.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #15,893 of 19,009
Felt the same and therefore sold the Mscaler. It was *beautifying* everything and reminded me why I didn’t like MQA. There’s no way I can listen to the Stooges, Joy Division or New York Dolls tarted up like that.

Feb 27, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #15,894 of 19,009
I recently sold the MScaler and have been happier than I thought I would be with the TT2 solo. I don't notice it missing. I guess if I could sit here and A/B I might prefer it, but there wasn't anything particular about it that I am really missing. Maybe some old recordings will be more noticeable, since that's where M Scaler really shines.

Feb 27, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #15,895 of 19,009
Never heard mscaler but these recent impressions remind me of my experience upscaling with hqplayer. It was the audio equivalent of a beauty filter and I preferred the raw sound.

Feb 28, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #15,899 of 19,009
Dave doesn't have crossfeed in its DAC mode so can't compare directly
In Chord DACs, "DAC mode" is just a volume setting, so you could have just used in regular DAC/pre-amp mode and compared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back