Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 2, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #15,211 of 18,907
I don’t do this, and don’t use an external amplifier, but I do use both rear outputs to drive speakers and a sub. Remember that the XLRs and RCAs are both always active, so as long as the amplifier can only accept one input at a time and is designed to switch between the two inputs, it *should* be fine as far as I can tell. I would probably use low gain in dac mode, since you will probably want to use TT2 for volume control, unless your amp has a volume control, then amp mode would be better.
Yeah the amplifier can only accept one input at a time as I switch them; I’m just not sure if having a tube preamplifier in the chain (even if its connection to the amp is switched off) is safe. I use TT2 in DAC mode only, and use my amp’s volume control.

Will TT2 connection still be active if the tube preamp is turned on, and AMP connection is not active?

Dec 2, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #15,212 of 18,907
Yeah the amplifier can only accept one input at a time as I switch them; I’m just not sure if having a tube preamplifier in the chain (even if its connection to the amp is switched off) is safe. I use TT2 in DAC mode only, and use my amp’s volume control.

Will TT2 connection still be active if the tube preamp is turned on, and AMP connection is not active?
I’m not sure I understand your last question. If there is a signal coming into TT2, both the XLRs and RCAs will be actively outputting.

Dec 2, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #15,213 of 18,907

I use an HMS/TT2 pairing connected to my Woo WA22 Amplifier using two XLR cables. That way I can use my WA22 as my tube preamp which also has XLR and RCA outs. I’m thinking about getting the TToby as my SS speaker preamp. Maybe? Where is the issue with my thinking on this?

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #15,214 of 18,907
How does wa22 into headphones Vs tt2 direct to headphones sound bp? Using tt2 as dac into wa22 of course.

Dec 2, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #15,215 of 18,907
Blue screen of death Chord style. Unit is 6 months old. Will contact my dealer tomorrow.

Sorry to read that, and trust your dealer and Chord get it resolved speedily.

I’ve just received my second TT2 from Nintronics. The first had scratches all around the volume ball. Nintronics saw the pics, and were great at arranging for collection, and delivery of this new one. This one also has random scratches on the volume control, most noticeable when rotating it, and also a minor scrape on the rear aluminium edge too. Very disappointing, particularly considering the current £4250 price. Have asked Nintronics to either get me a third unit from a different batch, or to just give me a refund. Having owned two TT2s at different times in the past and selling them both on, then both owners having had issues with their PSUs going south, I am more than a little frustrated about TT2 QC after this latest issue. Fingers crossed third time’s the charm. I hope your issues get resolved too. Other than all that, it’s still a bloody stunning sounding DAC, which is why I’m persevering. I hope if anybody from Chord is reading this these issues might be looked into. Edit: Third time was perfect! :)

Attachments

• 5D772B81-9120-47A7-BF06-7EAFE9FFDD66.jpeg
    5D772B81-9120-47A7-BF06-7EAFE9FFDD66.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 18ABCBAB-7890-4EC2-9569-9C65404DEBD9.jpeg
    18ABCBAB-7890-4EC2-9569-9C65404DEBD9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • BA5869B9-7768-4012-A6AE-A179BDEE18AA.jpeg
    BA5869B9-7768-4012-A6AE-A179BDEE18AA.jpeg
    869.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #15,216 of 18,907
Is there any possibility the marks on the volume ball could be due to it being hand made? I emphasise the word possibility as I'm in the same boat too here.

Dec 2, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #15,217 of 18,907
How does wa22 into headphones Vs tt2 direct to headphones sound bp? Using tt2 as dac into wa22 of course.
@musickid, whereas the sound coming through my hp’s is very clean and detailed going direct from the TT2, when using XLR’s into the WA22 hp amp the sound is more dynamic, spacious, and musical. Some say it’s just added distortion, but to my ears this combination gives me a great deal of added listening enjoyment.

Dec 3, 2021 at 6:28 AM Post #15,218 of 18,907
I am comparing Hugo2 to TT2 using HE1000SE. Hugo2 has more highs. They shimmer as silver. TT2's highs are more dimmed, gray-ish. TT2 is more smooth but sounds veiled and a bit dull in direct comparison. I use "orange" filter on H2 (warmer) and "FIL1" on TT2 (colder). I feel that Hugo2 has wider range from lows to highs, while TT2 has reduced treble. Also, to my ears the vocals and instruments on Hugo2 are more tonally correct. TT2 has better textures on lows and better soundstage.
All things considered I prefer Hugo2's sound so far. TT2 has a few things done better and some worse and it is not an obvious upgrade to me.
Feel free to disagree. This is just my opinion. I respect your opinions, and I hope you can respect mine.

Dec 3, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #15,219 of 18,907
Feel free to disagree. This is just my opinion. I respect your opinions, and I hope you can respect mine.
We respect your opinion

Dec 3, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #15,220 of 18,907
I am comparing Hugo2 to TT2 using HE1000SE. Hugo2 has more highs. They shimmer as silver. TT2's highs are more dimmed, gray-ish. TT2 is more smooth but sounds veiled and a bit dull in direct comparison. I use "orange" filter on H2 (warmer) and "FIL1" on TT2 (colder). I feel that Hugo2 has wider range from lows to highs, while TT2 has reduced treble. Also, to my ears the vocals and instruments on Hugo2 are more tonally correct. TT2 has better textures on lows and better soundstage.
All things considered I prefer Hugo2's sound so far. TT2 has a few things done better and some worse and it is not an obvious upgrade to me.
Your opinion is very interesting and detailed, I'm sure I will consider it, thank you

Dec 3, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #15,221 of 18,907
Sorry to read that, and trust your dealer and Chord get it resolved speedily.

I’ve just received my second TT2 from Nintronics. The first had scratches all around the volume ball. Nintronics saw the pics, and were great at arranging for collection, and delivery of this new one. This one also has random scratches on the volume control, most noticeable when rotating it, and also a minor scrape on the rear aluminium edge too. Very disappointing, particularly considering the current £4250 price. Have asked Nintronics to either get me a third unit from a different batch, or to just give me a refund. Having owned two TT2s at different times in the past and selling them both on, then both owners having had issues with their PSUs going south, I am more than a little frustrated about TT2 QC after this latest issue. Fingers crossed third time’s the charm. I hope your issues get resolved too. Other than all that, it’s still a bloody stunning sounding DAC, which is why I’m persevering. I hope if anybody from Chord is reading this these issues might be looked into.
I am tremendously concerned with these types of situations, as I mentioned a while ago; It does not seem appropriate to me that a brand with the prestige and quality of CHORD has such a high rate of technical failures, which is aggravated if we live outside the United Kingdom, for example in South America (Chile)

Dec 3, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #15,222 of 18,907
I'm trying to find a battery pack for the TT2 as a "outdoor lounge" solution. Will this Omni charger work?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SR337PP/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

It says that it can do 12v or 16v DC out at 3.5a. I know Rob uses a different battery but I like that this one has a wireless phone charger and USB-C passthrough, so it can also pull double duty as a spare power brick for the TT2.

Dec 3, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #15,223 of 18,907
I'm trying to find a battery pack for the TT2 as a "outdoor lounge" solution. Will this Omni charger work?

It says that it can do 12v or 16v DC out at 3.5a. I know Rob uses a different battery but I like that this one has a wireless phone charger and USB-C passthrough, so it can also pull double duty as a spare power brick for the TT2.
Looks compatible, does it have the right size barrel connectors?

Dec 3, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #15,224 of 18,907
I've used a Krisdonia Power Bank on an MScaler, TT2 and now on a Pi4. Very effective. Worth taking a look at either that version or the 25000mAh one if it doesn't work out with the one you're looking at. I used it at 12v.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #15,225 of 18,907

Be wary about quoted voltage outputs. Quite often they are wildly out compared to the actual output voltage. For instance I had a battery indicating 16V and it was nearer to 18V actual output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back