Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 6, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #15,241 of 18,990
How does the TT2 stand as a stand alone DAC.
I am currently using the qutest and it has improved my set up considerably .
I have a new Nimbus US 5 PRO on the way , the qutest will be the DAC. but yes I am wondering about using the TT2 as a DAC only .
is this a bit of A waste . It sort of seems to me that Chord have a bit of a gap in the market here without a standalone DAC at this level.
I did also consider the Mscaler/TT2 combination .
@Womaz I am using currently TT2 in dac only mode. Pair it with brilliant headamp and you will not want to go back. My desktop system is right now HTT2 (upsampling with Audirvana) + AuroraSound HEADA. HEADA added broader sound stage and smoothness (similar effect to upsampling with software or M Scaler) and the sound seems to be more dynamic while not loosing anything in terms of clarity and instrument separation. For me HEADA is missing bit of magic that TT2 needs bedly when you've heard some brilliant R2R dacs and TT2 with M Scaler.

Dec 6, 2021 at 3:01 AM Post #15,242 of 18,990
@Womaz I am using currently TT2 in dac only mode. Pair it with brilliant headamp and you will not want to go back. My desktop system is right now HTT2 (upsampling with Audirvana) + AuroraSound HEADA. HEADA added broader sound stage and smoothness (similar effect to upsampling with software or M Scaler) and the sound seems to be more dynamic while not loosing anything in terms of clarity and instrument separation. For me HEADA is missing bit of magic that TT2 needs bedly when you've heard some brilliant R2R dacs and TT2 with M Scaler.
You know what this hobby can be like . I am looking at options which are way above my initial budget :relieved:
My Niimbus Is finally on the way and for now it looks like it will be partnered with the Qutest .
HOWEVER like I say I have been looking at the TT2 as an option, both as a DAC with the NIimbus ……….or yes as a curve ball, the TT2 as the amp partnered with the MScaler . My original budget was around 3 to 4 K 😊😊

Dec 6, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #15,243 of 18,990
Just try once with your speakers you will be surprised. The aurora looks special but are you using mscaler with tt2? For me and after intensive listening the mscaler upgrade destroys anything else. When i say destroy i don't mean other options are bad but that mscaled audio does things with music nothing else can copy. 2D to 3D.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #15,244 of 18,990
How does the TT2 stand as a stand alone DAC.
I am currently using the qutest and it has improved my set up considerably .
I have a new Nimbus US 5 PRO on the way , the qutest will be the DAC. but yes I am wondering about using the TT2 as a DAC only .
is this a bit of A waste . It sort of seems to me that Chord have a bit of a gap in the market here without a standalone DAC at this level.
I did also consider the Mscaler/TT2 combination .
@Womaz, I started a couple of never ending COVID pandemic lockdown years ago with a Chord Qutest, and I loved it! So much so that I thought to myself that what I needed was some new headphones to enjoy the new found detail and clarity in my music being delivered by the Qutest. Well the DAC that my audio gear dealer was using to demo headphones was the TT2, and after listening through it for just a few minutes I knew that I had to have one. I traded the Qutest for the TT2, and used it by itself in my tiny hp system until I was able to find a Hugo M Scaler. The TT2 is great as a stand-alone DAC. But when you pair it with the HMS the sound is almost magical.

Dec 6, 2021 at 3:23 AM Post #15,248 of 18,990
@Womaz, I started a couple of never ending COVID pandemic lockdown years ago with a Chord Qutest, and I loved it! So much so that I thought to myself that what I needed was some new headphones to enjoy the new found detail and clarity in my music being delivered by the Qutest. Well the DAC that my audio gear dealer was using to demo headphones was the TT2, and after listening through it for just a few minutes I knew that I had to have one. I traded the Qutest for the TT2, and used it by itself in my tiny hp system until I was able to find a Hugo M Scaler. The TT2 is great as a stand-alone DAC. But when you pair it with the HMS the sound is almost magical.
Thanks for the post. I think for the time being the MScaler/TT2 combo has passed me by as I am sort of committed to the Niimbus US5 pro.
So yes the consideration is now do I get the TT2 as DAC only with the Niimbus. Also I guess there is no hurry for this as the Qutest will do the job for now.
I made my mind up on the Niimbus months ago but its been delay after delay so I started looking at other options. This is dangerous thing to do in this hobby :relaxed:

Over the last week or so I have been reading a lot about the MScaler. I could try it with the Qutest further down the line too I guess.........we will see.

Dec 6, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #15,249 of 18,990
Just try once with your speakers you will be surprised. The aurora looks special but are you using mscaler with tt2? For me and after intensive listening the mscaler upgrade destroys anything else. When i say destroy i don't mean other options are bad but that mscaled audio does things with music nothing else can copy. 2D to 3D.
Different room , different set up , I have no desire to change my set up downstairs.
This will be for HP use only

Dec 6, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #15,250 of 18,990
You know what this hobby can be like . I am looking at options which are way above my initial budget :relieved:
My Niimbus Is finally on the way and for now it looks like it will be partnered with the Qutest .
HOWEVER like I say I have been looking at the TT2 as an option, both as a DAC with the NIimbus ……….or yes as a curve ball, the TT2 as the amp partnered with the MScaler . My original budget was around 3 to 4 K 😊😊
@Womaz I know the problem :wink: Congrats on your Niimbus - you will have great time with I'm sure :) So much about careful budgeting and keeping it within reasonable boundaries... As for me, I couldn't be more happier so it was worth it!

Dec 6, 2021 at 3:35 AM Post #15,251 of 18,990
Thanks for the post. I think for the time being the MScaler/TT2 combo has passed me by as I am sort of committed to the Niimbus US5 pro.
So yes the consideration is now do I get the TT2 as DAC only with the Niimbus. Also I guess there is no hurry for this as the Qutest will do the job for now.
I made my mind up on the Niimbus months ago but its been delay after delay so I started looking at other options. This is dangerous thing to do in this hobby :relaxed:

Over the last week or so I have been reading a lot about the MScaler. I could try it with the Qutest further down the line too I guess.........we will see.
@Womaz, I was just looking at the Nimbus US5 Pro hp amplifier. Oh man, what nice piece of audio kit! Did you get it specifically to drive the 1266 Phi TC’s? I say that you’re doing fine sir, just keep your eyes open for an opportunity in case you have a chance to score a TT2. Be patient and take your time. No hurries, no worries.

Dec 6, 2021 at 3:46 AM Post #15,252 of 18,990
@Womaz, I was just looking at the Nimbus US5 Pro hp amplifier. Oh man, what nice piece of audio kit! Did you get it specifically to drive the 1266 Phi TC’s? I say that you’re doing fine sir, just keep your eyes open for an opportunity in case you have a chance to score a TT2. Be patient and take your time. No hurries, no worries.
Yes I got it to use with the TCs. The TCs are a recent purchase and they have totally blown me away. They sound incredible to me. Of course this starts you down that road of , am I doing them justice ? :relaxed:
So here we are. It looks like I will stick with the Niimbus purchase although I have asked my dealer about the TT2/MScaler combo too.....so I will listen to what he has to say.

Dec 6, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #15,253 of 18,990
@bpcans indeed! What keeps me away from Niimbus US5 Pro - considering price tag - are report of pot noise. No such issue with HEADA.

Dec 6, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #15,254 of 18,990
@musickid For me TT2 even with M Scaler can be fatiguing after longer listening sessions. This does not happen to me with Rocka Wavelight. Indeed solo TT2 can be even more fatiguing than one with M Scaler. At the end I haven't added M Scaler to the chain, the price and the fact that it is not a night and day difference to me kept me away. I'm upscaling 2x with Audirvana now.

Dec 6, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #15,255 of 18,990
The aurora from Japan and the nimbus from Deutschland are both fine pieces of audio equipment to be proud of in owning and using. For me however chord DACs satisfy all of my needs for now and for a long time looking forwards.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back