Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 25, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #14,851 of 18,905
I understand your reticence to try another TT2. Mine experienced the failure to initiate/clicking problem a couple of months ago. Since it’s basically the heart of my small system I was reluctant to send it in and be without it for some unknown amount of time. I was able to get the TT2 to go through the start up process with a 12 volt battery but eventually, even that was erratic. Sometimes it would take numerous tries to initiate; I discovered that once it did initiate I could quickly switch to the PSU and it would stay in standby mode but there are occasional intermittent power outages here and it would require the tedious restart process so I (reluctantly) sent it off. It was actually repaired in a couple of weeks (new board) and is fine so far.

The issue certainly was not the PSU; apparently (and I’m no expert for sure) it was the inrush limiter that failed which required the entire board to be replaced. I’m hopeful Chord has “solved” the problem by using a better limiter; they don’t want the bad PR generated by forums like this and don’t want to lose loyal customers who don’t want to deal with the annoyance of the repair process though I will say the US Texas repair facility was very helpful and made it as painless as possible. Unfortunately, Chord isn’t going to admit to a problem which might force a very expensive recall/potential class action litigation. I’m going to trust that the newest devices will have addressed that problem so I wouldn’t be reluctant to purchase one that was recently manufactured.

Do we have any idea what serial number range TT2 are affected?

@ TT2 thread,

I worry about the warranty expiring. However I think the warranty for the TT2 might be five years, so that's some breathing room.

https://chordelectronics.co.uk/warranty-policy

Quote:
The length of the warranty can be found on each product’s partnering webpage. Typically for accessories, it is 30 days, one year for portable products, three years for transportable products and five years for desktop and full-size components.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #14,853 of 18,905
I worry about the warranty expiring. However I think the warranty for the TT2 might be five years, so that's some breathing room.
From the TT2 manual, (my highlighting),

"At point of sale, Chord Electronics Ltd. provides Hugo TT 2 with a comprehensive three-year warranty* which covers defects in materials and workmanship through fair wear and tear. The warranty will be void if any other PSU other than that supplied is used.
*The warranty is transferable with proof of purchase, however, warranty on ex-demonstration units begins from the retailer‘s date of purchase.
"

Sep 26, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #14,854 of 18,905
Do we have any idea what serial number range TT2 are affected?

@ TT2 thread,

https://chordelectronics.co.uk/warranty-policy

Quote:
The length of the warranty can be found on each product’s partnering webpage. Typically for accessories, it is 30 days, one year for portable products, three years for transportable products and five years for desktop and full-size components.
if you checked the official TT2 web, look at the right side, there is a good sign for how long warranty for TT2.

Hint: 3 years

Sep 26, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #14,856 of 18,905
I believe it is 5 years after the registration on Chord website

Sep 26, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #14,857 of 18,905
I was curious about the warranty confusion. I’m sure (I think!!!) that the TT2 warranty is three years but the general warranty statement on their web site says, in part:

“The length of the warranty can be found on each product’s partnering webpage. Typically for accessories, it is 30 days, one year for portable products, three years for transportable products and five years for desktop and full-size components. This is in addition to your statutory rights.”

The Chord TT is called a transportable but the TT2 is called a tabletop (as opposed to desktop) in the product descriptions. I think tabletop is close enough to desktop so I can readily understand the obvious confusion. The materials that come with the TT2 state it is a three year warranty.

So, call 1-800-Lawyers; our staff is anxiously awaiting your call….

Sep 26, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #14,858 of 18,905
I was curious about the warranty confusion. I’m sure (I think!!!) that the TT2 warranty is three years but the general warranty statement on their web site says, in part:

“The length of the warranty can be found on each product’s partnering webpage. Typically for accessories, it is 30 days, one year for portable products, three years for transportable products and five years for desktop and full-size components. This is in addition to your statutory rights.”

The Chord TT is called a transportable but the TT2 is called a tabletop (as opposed to desktop) in the product descriptions. I think tabletop is close enough to desktop so I can readily understand the obvious confusion. The materials that come with the TT2 state it is a three year warranty.

Fully understand the confusion. Perhaps due to TT1 that use battery, they categorised TT range as transportable. Actually with super caps inside TT2, it also capable to deliver music without use the PSU, for perhaps 10 secs :o2smile:

Sep 26, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #14,859 of 18,905
I understand your reticence to try another TT2. Mine experienced the failure to initiate/clicking problem a couple of months ago. Since it’s basically the heart of my small system I was reluctant to send it in and be without it for some unknown amount of time. I was able to get the TT2 to go through the start up process with a 12 volt battery but eventually, even that was erratic. Sometimes it would take numerous tries to initiate; I discovered that once it did initiate I could quickly switch to the PSU and it would stay in standby mode but there are occasional intermittent power outages here and it would require the tedious restart process so I (reluctantly) sent it off. It was actually repaired in a couple of weeks (new board) and is fine so far.

The issue certainly was not the PSU; apparently (and I’m no expert for sure) it was the inrush limiter that failed which required the entire board to be replaced. I’m hopeful Chord has “solved” the problem by using a better limiter; they don’t want the bad PR generated by forums like this and don’t want to lose loyal customers who don’t want to deal with the annoyance of the repair process though I will say the US Texas repair facility was very helpful and made it as painless as possible. Unfortunately, Chord isn’t going to admit to a problem which might force a very expensive recall/potential class action litigation. I’m going to trust that the newest devices will have addressed that problem so I wouldn’t be reluctant to purchase one that was recently manufactured.
Sorry you had issues with your TT2 as well, though glad the repair process went well and interesting to hear it was the inrush limiter. Sounds like Chord were sold a subpar batch of components at some point then. Hopefully that’s something they check for now. I guess in the scheme of things it’s still a relatively small number of failed units, just a bit worrying buying used as it’s a lottery unless a pattern develops regarding serial numbers that were affected.

Sep 26, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #14,860 of 18,905
Sorry you had issues with your TT2 as well, though glad the repair process went well and interesting to hear it was the inrush limiter. Sounds like Chord were sold a subpar batch of components at some point then. Hopefully that’s something they check for now. I guess in the scheme of things it’s still a relatively small number of failed units, just a bit worrying buying used as it’s a lottery unless a pattern develops regarding serial numbers that were affected.
You can bet their lawyers are never going to let them put out the full story. For what it’s worth no one told me what the problem was but an earlier post from @Rob Watts identified the two likely causes as either a faulty PSU (mine is fine) or the inrush limiter. Chord is (wisely) treating each repair as an individual case with no linkage to other repairs. It is possible they received a bad batch of limiters or the design of the limiter they were using was flawed in some way. If you buy used and it’s under warranty, just get it repaired and move on (likely with a brand new board) and just enjoy a really great device in spite of the annoying issue. I’ll bet the new TT2’s are just fine.

Sep 26, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #14,861 of 18,905

Well, the Hugo TT 2 is transportable... with its power cord, of course. :sweat_smile:

Jokes aside, I think the unit is classified as a desktop product; I don't see how else the Hugo TT 2 is supposed to be used.

Sep 28, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #14,863 of 18,905
Chord are a decent company and, for certain issues they will no questions asked repair and ship TT2 back to you. However I think it has to be done via the retailer.

I say this from experience, chord fixed 2 TT2’s for me due to the click glitch, also, for my last TT2, the return was done within a week.

TT2 owners have nothing to worry about if you live in europe, out side of europe, you are playing russian roulette due to the retailers, some being great and some being utter crap.

TL;DR

Chord won’t fail you, they will fix your issue.

Sep 28, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #14,864 of 18,905
Chord are a decent company and, for certain issues they will no questions asked repair and ship TT2 back to you. However I think it has to be done via the retailer.

I say this from experience, chord fixed 2 TT2’s for me due to the click glitch, also, for my last TT2, the return was done within a week.

TT2 owners have nothing to worry about if you live in europe, out side of europe, you are playing russian roulette due to the retailers, some being great and some being utter crap.

TL;DR

Chord won’t fail you, they will fix your issue.
Fingers crossed, I won't have to cross that bridge, ever.

For those who have experienced, or are encountering issues with their Hugo TT 2 (or other Chord products), I offer my best wishes in getting them fixed in an expeditious manner. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back