Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 15, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #14,821 of 18,895
Interesting. Is anybody able to hold their ear up to the headphone jack / ball area? :laughing:
I get the slight tingling effect when I touch the Hugo TT 2; this is probably a grounding issue. However, I don't hear any electrical hum/noise when I place my ears close to the jack area and/or the volume ball. This is true regardless of whether a headphone is plugged in or not.

Sep 15, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #14,822 of 18,895
I get the slight tingling effect when I touch the Hugo TT 2; this is probably a grounding issue. However, I don't hear any electrical hum/noise when I place my ears close to the jack area and/or the volume ball. This is true regardless of whether a headphone is plugged in or not.

My understanding is that unless you connect it to an amp that is grounded, the TT2 like any other device which is connected to power without a grounding pin, is in effect "floating" with a low level of current. Grace Design used the term when I asked them about the same thing back in 2018 regarding their m900 unit.

Harmless and if annoying one can connect it to an amp with grounding.

Sep 15, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #14,827 of 18,895
Strange. No different.

It's so quiet that it's difficult to perceive but definitely there if I place my ear right.
When mine started the “clicking” issue, I listened very closely (literally, my ear on the device) after I got it to initiate with the battery. I didn’t hear any noise. No noise after I received it back after the board replacement either. Since you are considering a demo unit, bring someone you know back to the store (or seller) to listen as well. If there IS an issue Chord will repair/fix it; they are extremely customer centric. If you can barely hear it with your ear over the ball (creates quite an image) then I’m guessing it won’t be an issue when listening. As someone else suggested, try plugging into a good power management/noise suppression device.

Sep 15, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #14,828 of 18,895
When mine started the “clicking” issue, I listened very closely (literally, my ear on the device) after I got it to initiate with the battery. I didn’t hear any noise. No noise after I received it back after the board replacement either. Since you are considering a demo unit, bring someone you know back to the store (or seller) to listen as well. If there IS an issue Chord will repair/fix it; they are extremely customer centric. If you can barely hear it with your ear over the ball (creates quite an image) then I’m guessing it won’t be an issue when listening. As someone else suggested, try plugging into a good power management/noise suppression device.

I will carry on with this unit and probably swap it for a new unit come the end of the demo. Or I'll put my ear against some of their other demo units!

I'm somewhat in limbo at the moment given my Utopia is in for repair.

Sep 15, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #14,829 of 18,895
Just wanted to report that my unit (2 months old) is dead silent or under the level of detection of my ear.

Sep 15, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #14,830 of 18,895
I will carry on with this unit and probably swap it for a new unit come the end of the demo. Or I'll put my ear against some of their other demo units!

I'm somewhat in limbo at the moment given my Utopia is in for repair.
Thankfully my Utopia hasn’t experienced the failed driver issue! I can understand why you are nervous about yet another expensive device:). The Utopia is fantastic with the TT2 and my Abyss 1266 is even better In case you are looking for something else to buy!

Sep 15, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #14,831 of 18,895
20210914_152045.jpg

Had group test yesterday, and dare I (and everyone who came there) say that Diana Phi/V2 direct from TT2 remain on top pairing. Some of us also thought that add Oblivion amp could result on different taste that might great for people who prefer taste of tube sound and big soundstage, but not adding anything in other technicalities like detail, separation, black background, transient accuracy, etc (the amp decrease transparency and micro detail as expected).

Sep 15, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #14,832 of 18,895
Thankfully my Utopia hasn’t experienced the failed driver issue! I can understand why you are nervous about yet another expensive device:). The Utopia is fantastic with the TT2 and my Abyss 1266 is even better In case you are looking for something else to buy!
mhhhh,
your Abyss 1266, is it even better than an audeze LCD4?
In the case that your answer is positive, I would like to know why you consider it that way

Sep 15, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #14,833 of 18,895
mhhhh,
your Abyss 1266, is it even better than an audeze LCD4?
In the case that your answer is positive, I would like to know why you consider it that way
I own the LCD-X so I can’t answer specifically about the LCD-4. The Abyss is clearly better than the LCD-X and is more comfortable to wear and use for me. Perhaps someone else can chime in about the LCD-4.

Sep 16, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #14,835 of 18,895
Apologies if I am traversing old ground... I plan to order a Chord Hugo TT 2 to upgrade my Qutest. The TT2 will feed my Luxman L 505uxii integrated which has a phono amp/stage connected for my turntable. If I understand this correctly, when listening to digital sources and needing to drive speakers, I could choose to use the TT2 as a digital pre amp (and run the Luxman as separate power amp) or use the Luxman integrated analogue pre amp and use the TT2 as a DAC only. The former option will be a pain because I will need use different volume controls for analogue vs digital. The question is therefore will the SQ increases of option 1. outweigh the inconvenience. Interested in your thoughts.
As someone who has used a TT2 with the L-509X, I would advise connecting the TT2 single ended (RCA) into the line inputs. If you find DAC mode too loud, you can put it in AMP mode. (Use High Gain, start with the volume low until you find the right balance. It will remember the setting.)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back