Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 3, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #14,746 of 18,895
The device itself makes a loud hum, clear without headphones.
Should be covered under warranty if only 6m old? Worth asking chord customer support

Sep 4, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #14,750 of 18,895
I recently bought a six month old TT2 second hand. After about 3 hours of use the device starts audibly humming / buzzing? Is this normal? Can it break it? Thanks
It is only normal if it is coming from a display panel when no music is playing. I sometimes hear it when it powers up, but when something is playing it is always be quiet, I verified it by turning volume down. This has been discussed on this thread too, just search for "high pitch". I haven't noticed it on mine until I read about it, now notice it sometimes, but it doesn't interfere when something is playing.

Sep 4, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #14,751 of 18,895
2021_0831_13075300.jpg

(Repost from Diana thread), but I think I have to share it on TT2 thread as well.

Few days ago I use Diana Phi direct from Chord TT2 and compared them to Chord Qutest + Formula S (I will mention them as QF). Not orange to orange comparison of course, but these two set up actually have similar price bucket. Both Chord on FIlter 1. Volume matched to both set up.

After few days comparing these set up, here are things that I notice:

- TT2 produce solid, dense, full body sound that really surprise me when pair with Diana Phi. I always think that Formula S is magical amp for Diana because able to give sense of neutrality, but also add nice body to the sound, but apparently TT2 does this even more.
- TT2 is the real deal when it comes to make sound become fluid with plenty of effortless feel between each notes. I can't get enough of this. While QF also has this fluid feel, but definitely not match the TT2. (Fluid: Imagine looking at 120Hz fresh rate of smartphone screen)

- Tonality wise, TT2 has more weight into any percussion instrument from Treble to Upper bass. QF produce slight punchier mid bass. Sub bass effect seems almost on par, with TT2 slight more presence (using Jazz Variants from O-Zone Percussion Group)
- QF combo "stretch" the soundstage to be wider, taller, and I think about the same in the depth presentation. Definitely better for songs with choir.

- Micro detail a little better on direct TT2 as expected, but actually QF produce brighter treble (still smooothh though!). Both still I consider close to neutral, but TT2 definitely the darker sounding here.
- Midrange on TT2 give more focus, and texture with more forward presentation. QF deliver more laidback vocal, slight leaner, and as compensate, more air between instrument in midrange.

- Tried these two combos for few hours, seems none of then make my ears fatigue. Both amp I had before (Wells Milo and Singxer) actually made me a little fatigue after more than 4 hours of listening time.
- My personal choice is go to TT2 for Diana, as it deliver closer to what I call as natural sound with high capability of technicalities (Micro detail, transparency, imaging, and accuracy). Also lower noise floor for sensitive headphone/IEM that make it really versatile. I fall in love with the effortless feel in sound coming from this chord.

Sep 4, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #14,752 of 18,895
I recently bought a six month old TT2 second hand. After about 3 hours of use the device starts audibly humming / buzzing? Is this normal? Can it break it? Thanks
Well, if it starts acting up after 3 hours of use, then, that is certainly not a desired or expected state of functionality. For what it's worth, my Hugo TT 2 is new, but I have yet to experience this issue after leaving it on for more than 3 hours.

I hope you get your unit fixed soon.

Sep 4, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #14,753 of 18,895
2021_0831_13075300.jpg

(Repost from Diana thread), but I think I have to share it on TT2 thread as well.

Few days ago I use Diana Phi direct from Chord TT2 and compared them to Chord Qutest + Formula S (I will mention them as QF). Not orange to orange comparison of course, but these two set up actually have similar price bucket. Both Chord on FIlter 1. Volume matched to both set up.

- TT2 produce solid, dense, full body sound that really surprise me when pair with Diana Phi. I always think that Formula S is magical amp for Diana because able to give sense of neutrality, but also add nice body to the sound, but apparently TT2 does this even more.
- TT2 is the real deal when it comes to make sound become fluid with plenty of effortless feel between each notes. I can't get enough of this. While QF also has this fluid feel, but definitely not match the TT2. (Fluid: Imagine looking at 120Hz fresh rate of smartphone screen)

- Tonality wise, TT2 has more weight into any percussion instrument from Treble to Upper bass. QF produce slight punchier mid bass. Sub bass effect seems almost on par, with TT2 slight more presence (using Jazz Variants from O-Zone Percussion Group)
- QF combo "stretch" the soundstage to be wider, taller, and I think about the same in the depth presentation. Definitely better for songs with choir.

- Micro detail a little better on direct TT2 as expected, but actually QF produce brighter treble (still smooothh though!). Both still I consider close to neutral, but TT2 definitely the darker sounding here.
- Midrange on TT2 give more focus, and texture with more forward presentation. QF deliver more laidback vocal, slight leaner, and as compensate, more air between instrument in midrange.

- Tried these two combos for few hours, seems none of then make my ears fatigue. Both amp I had before (Wells Milo and Singxer) actually made me a little fatigue after more than 4 hours of listening time.
- My personal choice is go to TT2 for Diana, as it deliver closer to what I call as natural sound with high capability of technicalities (Micro detail, transparency, imaging, and accuracy). Also lower noise floor for sensitive headphone/IEM that make it really versatile. I fall in love with the effortless feel in sound coming from this chord.
Very nice impressions. Thanks for sharing!

In any case, I've always thought that the Formula S was bigger than what it actually is. In your photo, it has a slightly larger footprint than the Hugo TT 2; I've always thought that it was more massive than that. At least, that's what I gathered from promotional photos.

Sep 4, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #14,754 of 18,895

Did you try using the formula S and TT2 together? The TT2 is far superior to the Qutest

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #14,755 of 18,895
Very nice impressions. Thanks for sharing!

In any case, I've always thought that the Formula S was bigger than what it actually is. In your photo, it has a slightly larger footprint than the Hugo TT 2; I've always thought that it was more massive than that. At least, that's what I gathered from promotional photos.
Thanks!

It is not a small amp, but not a giant like Viva or Riviera. Roughly like The OG Cavalli Liquid Fire size. The heatsinks make Formula look bigger I guess.
Did you try using the formula S and TT2 together? The TT2 is far superior to the Qutest

Of course, it creates combination of sound from my comparison above. TT2 + Formula create the biggest soundstage, fuller sound than Qutest pairing, with more clarity, detail and texture. Bass is now complete with impact and plenty rumble to felt. Vocal position is slight push back than TT2's HO.

Unfortunately, again, I felt the fluidness of TT2's Headphone Out also decrease here, although still way better than Qutest pairing.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #14,756 of 18,895
Thanks!

It is not a small amp, but not a giant like Viva or Riviera. Roughly like The OG Cavalli Liquid Fire size. The heatsinks make Formula look bigger I guess.

Of course, it creates combination of sound from my comparison above. TT2 + Formula create the biggest soundstage, fuller sound than Qutest pairing, with more clarity, detail and texture. Bass is now complete with impact and plenty rumble to felt. Vocal position is slight push back than TT2's HO.

Unfortunately, again, I felt the fluidness of TT2's Headphone Out also decrease here, although still way better than Qutest pairing.
I used to have the TT2/M-Scaler/Formula S/Powerman combo before upgrading to the DAVE and it was incredible.

Sep 4, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #14,757 of 18,895
I used to have the TT2/M-Scaler/Formula S/Powerman combo before upgrading to the DAVE and it was incredible.
Agree, I tried Dave + Formula pairing as well. Big imaging, airy, clean, and with strong effortless feel in each notes.

My take for TT2 (set aside the full body and natural character) is also considering the price. Dave is nice, especially at the second hand market, but it "force" me to add another amp. That scenario would be too much cost for me.

Sep 4, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #14,758 of 18,895
Agree, I tried Dave + Formula pairing as well. Big imaging, airy, clean, and with strong effortless feel in each notes.

My take for TT2 (set aside the full body and natural character) is also considering the price. Dave is nice, especially at the second hand market, but it "force" me to add another amp. That scenario would be too much cost for me.
It's expensive for sure especially if you plan to add the M-scaler as well!

Sep 4, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #14,759 of 18,895
Agreed, I had the same setup before upgrading to the DAVE as well. The TT2/HMS/Formula S with Powerman was stellar. It can easily be a reference setup for headphone listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back