Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 25, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #14,701 of 18,896
Hello there,
Conceptually, should I assume that this is also valid for MAC?
On Mac, you should use Core Audio with Integer mode for bit-perfect from the music app. OS mixer settings should follow the same guidelines as windows.

Aug 26, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #14,702 of 18,896
Hi @Rob Watts ,

I'm using TT2 in preamp mode low gain with power amp Plinius SA 103. I love this combo very much for how it sounds.

But recently I've read in Plinius SA 103 manual that :

"The Plinius SA-103 Power Amplifier is of direct-coupled design, and offers no protection from preamplifiers that have a high DC component at their outputs."

http://www.pliniusaudio.evanta.co.nz/documents/20131224173701.pdf

Can you confirm whether TT2 in preamp modes Low Gain or High gain has DC component at the output, and if it is safe to use ?

Thanks!

TT2 in high or low gain doesn't have any significant DC output due to the action of the digital DC servo, so it's perfectly safe to use with a DC coupled power amp.

Aug 26, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #14,703 of 18,896
Sometimes the TT2 volume ball has a mind of its own. I merely touched it and it jumped from +0 to +10 and gave me a damn heart attack!

Aug 26, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #14,705 of 18,896
i have experienced something like that too.
I've experienced it on my Hugo2 (not very often, but annoying), which is about two years old. However, no such issue with the new TT2. Maybe the problem starts after some time as a result of dirt aggregated on the ball?

Aug 26, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #14,706 of 18,896
I've experienced it on my Hugo2 (not very often, but annoying), which is about two years old. However, no such issue with the new TT2. Maybe the problem starts after some time as a result of dirt aggregated on the ball?
I had same on H2 as well. With TT2 its new unit just 1month old :) it happened when i wanted to adjust +-1db. But i dont mind, no big deal for me, and it happened only once. Also when unit is new ball friction is also changing. I see there are spots when ball turns very easily and there is range when resistance is very very hard. This happened when resistance was very very low.

Aug 26, 2021 at 7:06 AM Post #14,707 of 18,896
I guess this is a recurring issue, as I have experienced, on multiple occasions, a sudden volume jump on my Hugo 2 as well. It usually happens when my finger is on the volume ball, but I'm yet to commence with the scrolling action; the volume would suddenly get louder by quite a fair bit.

Since I'm exclusively using the remote control to change volume on my Hugo TT 2, this issue will, hopefully, not be replicated.

Aug 26, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #14,708 of 18,896
I guess this is a recurring issue, as I have experienced, on multiple occasions, a sudden volume jump on my Hugo 2 as well. It usually happens when my finger is on the volume ball, but I'm yet to commence with the scrolling action; the volume would suddenly get louder by quite a fair bit.

Since I'm exclusively using the remote control to change volume on my Hugo TT 2, this issue will, hopefully, not be replicated.
...the track-balls on a computer mouse can have the same issue, due to grime on desktops. I take them apart and clean them. Take-apart not an option here, but maybe a wipe-rotate-wipe cleaning protocol? Or the remote.

Aug 26, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #14,710 of 18,896
...the track-balls on a computer mouse can have the same issue, due to grime on desktops. I take them apart and clean them. Take-apart not an option here, but maybe a wipe-rotate-wipe cleaning protocol? Or the remote.
track balls are so 'last millennium' :)

Made me laugh remembering the old 'IBM Mouse Ball Field Replacement Instructions' bit which circulated in the 80s.

Aug 26, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #14,711 of 18,896
My personal experience volume jumps but not with Hugo 2 or TT2 are frequently related to stray remote signals triggering the volume control. It’s hard to imagine the volume ball of the Hugo 2 or TT2 to be so loose that it would accidentally trigger a volume control jump. I think this happens more in home theatre environments where people have lots of remotes lying around.

Aug 26, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #14,712 of 18,896
Agreed. Every once in a great while the volume has jumped up but while I'm not listening. Nothing to support this but for some reason I think a TV control or the like made it jump.

Aug 27, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #14,713 of 18,896
Curious. How would you incorporate a phono stage like the Chord Symphonic to a TT2/Power amp system?

Aug 27, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #14,714 of 18,896

This is what I've noticed as well. It's as soon as I touch it and haven't started turning it. Also, there's no part of the ball which makes contact with the board, if you look at the design, there''s a stem/rod connected to the back of the ball which turns and the sensor is behind that. So the ball can be dirty and not really impact the sensor. It's just a very sensitive sensor and sometimes a touch makes it jump. It's happened to me once on the Hugo 2 where it jumped to max volume and now with the TT2 where it jumped from +0 to +10, which made me jump out of my chair as well.

Aug 27, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #14,715 of 18,896
What you don't want happening with the volume control, is what some people report. Where the volume will increase with zero input from the user. For no reason, the volume will just steadily increase from where it was, to maximum. Due to this, it's wise not to leave your Chord DAC playing music when unattended. Otherwise you may come back to find your tranducers destroyed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back