Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Apr 9, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #13,441 of 19,009
Cables and psus and other stuff dont matter
I would also like add that in certain circumstances USB and Optical can sound different. Under optimal conditions they don't, but as Rob stated, they can, so worth checking that out.

Apr 9, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #13,442 of 19,009
I would also like add that in certain circumstances USB and Optical can sound different. Under optimal conditions they don't, but as Rob stated, they can, so worth checking that out.
True. But thats becouse of source power design.
@granosalis
4. upgrade your source. or try usb versus optical (if you have such output)
Not promoting but try 2go2yu if you are ok with its controls. I myself was very amazed of 2go sound quality. so i ordered 2go and 2yu.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #13,443 of 19,009
A few weeks ago I thought I would try the optical out - a quick polish of the plastic fibre meant that 192kHz works -

Thank you for this hint - tip, for cleaning the optical fibre.

(N.B. I have managed to resurrect computer optical drives by cleaning the lens. .... They put a label on saying do not touch the lens. If the drive is not working, I give it a gentle clean.)

Sorry to hassle you. Am I reading this right, that you also use a budget optical cable? .... I am taking that fomr you having said, ".. polish of the plastic fibre".

I only have a £5 cable myself. It seems fine. Music certainly doesn't lose anything compared with USB and Jitterbug. Am liking optical, but I liked USB also.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #13,444 of 19,009
900 pages thread is nearly impossibile to read. 😲
Can someone please summarize if there is any sound optimization for the TT2 that can be made?
Battery power supply? Thanks :wink:
Giuseppe
Personally, I think it's pretty good as it is. The use of supercapacitors means that the power supply is pretty good in my opinion.

Isolation products can potentially make a difference in some systems. Other than that, improve the transducers and the source to get the most out of it?

The biggest way to get the most sound quality out of a TT2 might be to add an M-Scaler with good cables. :relaxed:

The TT2 is a fabulous product.

Apr 9, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #13,445 of 19,009
900 pages thread is nearly impossibile to read. 😲
Can someone please summarize if there is any sound optimization for the TT2 that can be made?
Battery power supply? Thanks :wink:
Giuseppe

Use optical from your source and if you are OCD or want to sit outside, get a 12v battery to run the TT2 off of. I use an inexpensive streamer (bluesound node 2) via optical and stopped using the battery because I can't hear a difference with the battery. I use an inexpensive Furman power strip conditioner that does something, but I don't know what, maybe it helps.

Things get more complicated when you add an mscaler. You have to start wearing charm necklaces and doing chants to ward off RFI and a rabid pack of ferrets.

EDIT: Two batteries that I've used successfully:

The big one, great for all day TT use, recommended first by @ra990 , I believe. I like it because it has one output of 12v 9A which is way more than enough and doesn't have any buttons or other outputs that could cause you to accidentally send 20v or whatever to your TT2 and frying it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085PYYX2B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It will require some DC cables: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WKB965H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The portable one (too big to fly, but has plenty of juice for hours by the fire pit). Has a 20v output and a 12v output. The 12v only goes to 2.5A which is borderline enough juice, but I've never had a problem with my headphones or listening levels.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YP823NA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It technically should have all the cables you need to get going, but I prefer the ones linked to above since they are more robust and don't require an adapter on either end.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #13,446 of 19,009
The Toslink connection was removed around 2014. My MacBook Pro is a 2014 model and has Toslink. I was contemplating a new MacBook and became aware of this so my 2014 will be hanging around for the foreseeable future!

The audio hardware on some MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, and iMac computers supports digital audio at 176.4 kHz and 192 kHz when connected through an optical output.

These computers support audio playback with sample rates up to 192 kHz:

From MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) to MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
From MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) to MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid-2015)
From iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2014) to iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2014)
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015)
From iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) to iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
Mac Pro (late 2013)
Mac mini (late 2014)
To make your Mac play high sample rate audio:

Connect one end of a TOSLINK optical cable to your Mac's headphone port. Then connect the other end to your audio device, such as an AV receiver.
Open Audio MIDI Settings, found in the Utilities folder of the Applications folder.
Select an audio device from the list that appears on the left side of the Audio Devices window.
If necessary, select "Use this device for sound output" from the Action pop-up menu.
Select a sample rate, such as 176 400.0 Hz or 192000.0 Hz, from the Format pop-up menu.
If your Mac's audio hardware doesn't support high sample rate audio, you can use a third-party digital audio interface.

Apr 9, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #13,447 of 19,009
Apr 9, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #13,449 of 19,009
Apr 9, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #13,450 of 19,009
Not promoting but try 2go2yu if you are ok with its controls. I myself was very amazed of 2go sound quality. so i ordered 2go and 2yu.
I already have a streamer, I have made, based on eRed - Doc board from Engineered.ch and It works very well, but thanks for the suggestion.
I'm thinking about buyng the TT2, decision is not yet taken :)

Apr 9, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #13,451 of 19,009
I use an inexpensive streamer (bluesound node 2) via optical and stopped using the battery because I can't hear a difference with the battery.

I looked over that streamer. However someone mentioned recently that it can only send 96KHz over optical out.

I have some 192KHz so I would not buy it given what I was told.

Are you not getting the same? Is there more than one version and maybe 192KHz from a newer model?

Apr 9, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #13,453 of 19,009
However someone mentioned recently that it can only send 96KHz over optical out.
Are you sure it was optical OUT and not IN? When I was buying my Node 2i (don't have it anymore so can't test) I remember reading that Toslink IN had some issues/limitations, but not about Toslink OUT, but I could be remembering it wrong.

Apr 9, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #13,454 of 19,009
I looked over that streamer. However someone mentioned recently that it can only send 96KHz over optical out.

I have some 192KHz so I would not buy it given what I was told.

Are you not getting the same? Is there more than one version and maybe 192KHz from a newer model?
I use a Bluesound Vault 2i, and that sends 24/192 files to my TT2 perfectly over an optical interconnect. Sounds very good to my inexpert ears as well. I know that many improvements were made when the Vault 2 was superseded by the Vault 2i, and so perhaps those changes were also made in the Node 2i over the original Node 2 ? Perhaps get a Node 2i out on loan/test?

Cheers, Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back