Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 15, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #12,496 of 18,907
Here's another happy user of TT2 + Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC. I'm using the single-ended front panel now. Also used the XLR outs earlier but after volume matching (6dB) I didn't perceive the XLR outs to be more powerful in bass and otherwise (didn't do proper A/B testing though). The bass is strong yet tight (well defined).

I cannot compare the TT2's amplification to different external amps but I perceive this pairing to be excellent. I am very satisfied! :relieved:

(Note that this system makes it also obvious that not all recordings are good. I was disappointed with some recordings, I wanted them to sound better because I'd loved them. However, after listening to a wide variety of tracks I can see that it comes down to the quality of those particular recordings. So it's better not expecting that specific recordings sound like this and this, and that an equalizer is needed if they don't. Good recordings sound excellent, on the other hand.)

Good to see someone agreeing that the TT2 has way enough power and current for heavy load headphones. Straight out the front ports too - way to go!

Yeah recording can be a bane. Like I recently picked up a Big Country best of CD, and it sounds horrible. I swear it's mono, and it sounds grainy and rough.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #12,497 of 18,907
Having a strange issue with my TT2, when I noticed some noise in the music that I know shouldn't be there, I power cycled everything and before anything even came on, while the TT2 was showing CHG, my Susvaras started making loud clicking and popping noises and I had to immediately disconnect them. I tried the front outputs and they sound fine, but on stock power supply, with nothing connected, just my susvara to the XLR outs, same thing. I have an email out to the Sound Org, not looking forward to another long repair. Wish me luck.
I’m sure you’ve already checked this, but I found that the XLR out on my TT2 needed a bit of force to completely seat the XLR cables.

Feb 15, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #12,498 of 18,907
Well, with my recent XLR issue, I'm forced to drive the Susvara from the front headphone outputs and I can safely report that it cannot drive the Susvara without distorting beyond +12H volume. So with the Susvara, it is pretty much required to use the balanced XLR outs of the TT2, which have no problems with them and drive them beautifully.

Just curious are people using SPL meter on these? Distortion at 75dB is different than distortion at 105dB

Feb 15, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #12,500 of 18,907
What is the front volume knob measurement called,for example what does - 20 mean in DB?
I believe it is a measurement of the attenuation of the output. How it relates to decibels is contingent upon the resistance of the headphone/speaker.

The TT2 has 95 volume steps (mute plus 94 ranging from -72 to +22). When I calculate I take the max output = unbalanced 7.3W @ 8ohms, 18W @ 8 ohms and calculate for the baseline current and voltage amounts using https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/watt-volt-amp-calculator.html Then I adjust the parameters for the resistance of the headphone/speaker to determine the W at max. From this, I divide by 95 to determine the difference in W for each increment of +/-1 on the TT2. Using a 1000khz test tone, recorded at -20db, I play it back at my typical listening volumes and calculate the total W output along with the maximum W needed to hit zero db.

Using a 1000khz test tone, recorded at -20db, I play it back at my typical listening volumes and use a decibel meter app on the phone. Perfect, no but good enough for my person use. In my system, each change in volume (+/- 1) on the TT2 results in 1db change on the meter. Your results will vary.

I'm probably wrong on several aspects and expect to be enlightened. Be kind.

Feb 15, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #12,501 of 18,907
I believe it is a measurement of the attenuation of the output. How it relates to decibels is contingent upon the resistance of the headphone/speaker.

The TT2 has 95 volume steps (mute plus 94 ranging from -72 to +22). When I calculate I take the max output = unbalanced 7.3W @ 8ohms, 18W @ 8 ohms and calculate for the baseline current and voltage amounts using https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/watt-volt-amp-calculator.html Then I adjust the parameters for the resistance of the headphone/speaker to determine the W at max. From this, I divide by 95 to determine the difference in W for each increment of +/-1 on the TT2. Using a 1000khz test tone, recorded at -20db, I play it back at my typical listening volumes and calculate the total W output along with the maximum W needed to hit zero db.

Using a 1000khz test tone, recorded at -20db, I play it back at my typical listening volumes and use a decibel meter app on the phone. Perfect, no but good enough for my person use. In my system, each change in volume (+/- 1) on the TT2 results in 1db change on the meter. Your results will vary.

I'm probably wrong on several aspects and expect to be enlightened. Be kind.
Hey that's awesome formula for those that want to dwelve better.
I was hoping for less haha.
I think I'll jsut download a DB app on phone and put it 1inch away from headphone driver and see.?

Feb 15, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #12,502 of 18,907
I'm hunting for an M Scaler in Silver. I've become audio obsessed with adding this to the TT2. Anyone want to weigh in here please do.

Feb 15, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #12,504 of 18,907
Distortion at 75dB is different than distortion at 105dB

This!

There’s typically no mention of SPL (listening loudness) or volume matching doing comparisons. All we usually read on these forums is something is ‘better’, or ‘can not drive’, but what are the actual testing conditions? Would be good to know...

Feb 15, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #12,506 of 18,907
This!

There’s typically no mention of SPL (listening loudness) or volume matching doing comparisons. All we usually read on these forums is something is ‘better’, or ‘can not drive’, but what are the actual testing conditions? Would be good to know...
Testing conditions are the music 🎶 I was listening to and level is when I hear bass distorting. Sorry, I'm not very scientific in my testing and everything I say should be considered anecdotal.

Feb 15, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #12,507 of 18,907
andrew01, I got TT2 and MSC both slightly used. Payed $6.5K for both.

I don’t know the USA retail price including taxes but if similar to UK prices that sounds like a good deal.
To get a good price you need a bit of luck. I think theres a lot of ‘flippers’ who try their luck at very high prices. I suppose this works early in the product lifecycle but TT2 has been out for over 2 years now.

My rule of thumb for what I am comfortable buying/selling used hifi gear is 50% of full retail, perhaps up to 60% if its from a dealer with warranty.

Feb 15, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #12,508 of 18,907
I don’t know the USA retail price including taxes but if similar to UK prices that sounds like a good deal.
To get a good price you need a bit of luck. I think theres a lot of ‘flippers’ who try their luck at very high prices. I suppose this works early in the product lifecycle but TT2 has been out for over 2 years now.

My rule of thumb for what I am comfortable buying/selling used hifi gear is 50% of full retail, perhaps up to 60% if its from a dealer with warranty.

Doesn't apply to chord in my opinion, they hold their value extremely well on the 2nd hand market.

Feb 15, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #12,509 of 18,907
Bought an M Scaler. Should be here in a few days!

Congrats! I hope you have better luck with delivery than I am having. My M Scaler was shipped overnight FedEx last Thursday for Friday delivery. FedEx chose to skip the final pickup of the day due to weather, but then blamed the seller even though he dropped it off 2 hours before the deadline. All weekend, the package sat in a depot on the east coast and last night it showed up in Memphis where it appears the state is under weather advisory with no scheduled delivery date listed. I am hoping to have it by Wednesday now, if I am lucky. I have never been more excited for something to arrive...the wait is brutal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back