Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 13, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #12,466 of 18,932
Getting way off topic here. I have a buddy who owns the WA 5 LE (I have a huge weakness for these in BLACK) and has more in tubes than the amp is worth.

Feb 13, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #12,467 of 18,932
Getting way off topic here. I have a buddy who owns the WA 5 LE (I have a huge weakness for these in BLACK) and has more in tubes than the amp is worth.

TT2 has RCA out. Connects to WA5. I actually need to try TT2 into my WA8.

Feb 14, 2021 at 3:50 AM Post #12,468 of 18,932
Anyone using ether 2 and has tried xlr output vs single ended? I saw a a review where he said, when balanced they were better. He says running balanced would bring 30% more power.... but even if the reason is wrong, has anyone tried and found that they were better via xlr, as it could be a cheap upgrade to get another cable termination...

Feb 14, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #12,469 of 18,932
I’m awake early this St. Valentines Day morning to ask a few questions of those who use their TT2’s to drive the Abyss 1266 Phi TC’s. First of all is the TT2 powerful enough to make the 1266’s sound good either using the SE input or the XLR outs in the back? Secondly, what other amplifiers are people using in conjunction with their TT2 DAC’s to power the 1266’s? I’m contemplating getting a pair direct from JPS Labs/Abyss in the near future. I had a good conversation with Joe at Abyss on Friday and I really like their approach and philosophy. Thanks https://abyss-headphones.com/products/abyss-ab-1266-phi-headphone?variant=31698386649188

Feb 14, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #12,470 of 18,932
I’m awake early this St. Valentines Day morning to ask a few questions of those who use their TT2’s to drive the Abyss 1266 Phi TC’s. First of all is the TT2 powerful enough to make the 1266’s sound good either using the SE input or the XLR outs in the back? Secondly, what other amplifiers are people using in conjunction with their TT2 DAC’s to power the 1266’s? I’m contemplating getting a pair direct from JPS Labs/Abyss in the near future. I had a good conversation with Joe at Abyss on Friday and I really like their approach and philosophy. Thanks https://abyss-headphones.com/products/abyss-ab-1266-phi-headphone?variant=31698386649188
IMO the TT2 is powerful enough from either connection, even with material with wide dynamic range. You will find some who prefer the XLR output but for me it was noticeably veiled in comparison. I'm adding a tube amplifier (DNA Stellaris) in about six months to provide a variety in sound but it's an unnecessary addition to enjoy the Abyss.

Feb 14, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #12,471 of 18,932
Im also thinking about selling my other headphones and other bits of kit and going all in on the tc. Would like to hear from other tt2 users if the headphones is twice as good as the other top end headphones?

Feb 14, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #12,472 of 18,932
IMO the TT2 is powerful enough from either connection, even with material with wide dynamic range. You will find some who prefer the XLR output but for me it was noticeably veiled in comparison. I'm adding a tube amplifier (DNA Stellaris) in about six months to provide a variety in sound but it's an unnecessary addition to enjoy the Abyss.
genefruit, I'm running Roon + Tidal and Qobuz to my HMS/TT2 combo too, but then I use two AQ Earth XLR's to go to my Woo WA22 balanced hp amp to power my Utopia's. Do you think I could use the WA22 for the 1266's, or if I get them should I just plug them directly into my TT2 for the best sound? The Abyss 1266 are the first planar magnetic hp's whose sound I've enjoyed, and I also think that a complimentary set of cans to my Utopia's would be a nice addition.

Feb 14, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #12,473 of 18,932
genefruit, I'm running Roon + Tidal and Qobuz to my HMS/TT2 combo too, but then I use two AQ Earth XLR's to go to my Woo WA22 balanced hp amp to power my Utopia's. Do you think I could use the WA22 for the 1266's, or if I get them should I just plug them directly into my TT2 for the best sound? The Abyss 1266 are the first planar magnetic hp's whose sound I've enjoyed, and I also think that a complimentary set of cans to my Utopia's would be a nice addition.
Not sure about best sound, as it's a preference rather than an absolute. The number would indicate the WA22 might not have the output to drive them to a level you like but much of this depends upon your preferences. If you already have the WA22 and you don't have to sell it to fund the Abyss, just give it a try.

Feb 14, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #12,474 of 18,932

I'm currently saving for 1266tc and plan to use them with TT2/HMS combo. From everything I have read and people on this forum yes the TT2 can drive them well. You will gain bass but lose transparency from using the rear XLR's on the TT2.

Feb 14, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #12,475 of 18,932
I'm currently saving for 1266tc and plan to use them with TT2/HMS combo. From everything I have read and people on this forum yes the TT2 can drive them well. You will gain bass but lose transparency from using the rear XLR's on the TT2.
Damnit DJJEZ, you’re gonna put me over the edge. 😀 I’ve gotta be a little more patient though. The question is am I gonna get the same enjoyment that happens when I listen to my Utopia’s when I plug the 1266’s into my TT2?

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #12,477 of 18,932
I have the HMS/TT2 + 1266 TC combo. Can absolutely confirm the rear XLR3 output has more bass, and slightly less transparency than SE. The 1266 TC is already so hyperdetailed that I don't fret about the transparency loss when the trade-off is a substantial improvement on what is already the best bass experience on any headphone I have ever heard. That includes Audeze LCD-X, LCD-3F, RAD-0 and Verite Closed (Haven't heard Fostex stuff before).

I have 2 moon audio XLR3 female to female adapters for the TT2 for sale if anyone's interested.

Feb 14, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #12,478 of 18,932
I have the HMS/TT2 + 1266 TC combo. Can absolutely confirm the rear XLR3 output has more bass, and slightly less transparency than SE. The 1266 TC is already so hyperdetailed that I don't fret about the transparency loss when the trade-off is a substantial improvement on what is already the best bass experience on any headphone I have ever heard. That includes Audeze LCD-X, LCD-3F, RAD-0 and Verite Closed (Haven't heard Fostex stuff before).

I have 2 moon audio XLR3 female to female adapters for the TT2 for sale if anyone's interested.
qboogie, what was the learning curve like to get the fit dialed in on the 1266’s, and do you use the high gain setting on your TT2 to drive them?

Feb 14, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #12,479 of 18,932

Here's another happy user of TT2 + Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC. I'm using the single-ended front panel now. Also used the XLR outs earlier but after volume matching (6dB) I didn't perceive the XLR outs to be more powerful in bass and otherwise (didn't do proper A/B testing though). The bass is strong yet tight (well defined).

I cannot compare the TT2's amplification to different external amps but I perceive this pairing to be excellent. I am very satisfied! :relieved:

(Note that this system makes it also obvious that not all recordings are good. I was disappointed with some recordings, I wanted them to sound better because I'd loved them. However, after listening to a wide variety of tracks I can see that it comes down to the quality of those particular recordings. So it's better not expecting that specific recordings sound like this and this, and that an equalizer is needed if they don't. Good recordings sound excellent, on the other hand.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back