Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 12, 2021 at 1:04 AM Post #12,436 of 18,907
Lends a whole new meaning to the expression “going down the tubes”.
https://www.macmillandictionary.com/us/dictionary/american/go-down-the-tubes-tube
Gadget67, I saved a ton of money by already having premium matched tubes from my years listening to a Woo WA6 that also work in my WA22. Plus I started reading and asking questions on the WA22 head-fi forum, where a fellow enthusiast told me exactly what the best tubes to use were. You and I both know that just about any tube amplifier cannot compete with a really good solid state amp like the one in the TT2, the WA33 being an exception obviously. What a decent tube amplifier like my WA22 does is add a sense of full bodied realism and an analog LP/reel to reel type of sound to what has become a totally digital and sterile stream of 1’s and 0’s passing through either a cable or the air(Bluetooth). Plus I just like to watch the orange glow of the tubes.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #12,438 of 18,907
For those of you using your TT2 with Tidal, what is your strategy for getting the best sound?

- Master with first MQA unfold done in software
- Master with MQA passthrough turned on (in which case the TT2 treats it as a 16/44.1)
- Hifi

I'm mostly using the last two though I did spend a good deal of time listening with software unfold. I think I'm finding things slightly more pleasant to listen to without the first unfold, but honestly I hate A/Bing things at this level with so many variables and with these kinds of changes I don't trust A/Bing because the brain plays tricks.

What I can't figure out is if there is any difference between the latter two, for instance does chord gear ultimately end up processing the same bits or are there material differences between master and hifi files when used as 16/44.1.

I haven't switched to Amazon because I like a few Tidal integrations and MQA works well on some of my bluesound speakers for casual listening (though Amazon would probably play just about as well there).

Feb 12, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #12,439 of 18,907
Was meant to have my TT2 incoming now after waiting 3 weeks for delivery and have just been told its gonna be another month's wait now due to Chord not having the parts to make it :sob::sob::sob::confounded::confounded::confounded:

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #12,440 of 18,907
For those of you using your TT2 with Tidal, what is your strategy for getting the best sound?

- Master with first MQA unfold done in software
- Master with MQA passthrough turned on (in which case the TT2 treats it as a 16/44.1)
- Hifi

I'm mostly using the last two though I did spend a good deal of time listening with software unfold. I think I'm finding things slightly more pleasant to listen to without the first unfold, but honestly I hate A/Bing things at this level with so many variables and with these kinds of changes I don't trust A/Bing because the brain plays tricks.

What I can't figure out is if there is any difference between the latter two, for instance does chord gear ultimately end up processing the same bits or are there material differences between master and hifi files when used as 16/44.1.

I haven't switched to Amazon because I like a few Tidal integrations and MQA works well on some of my bluesound speakers for casual listening (though Amazon would probably play just about as well there).
aut0maticdan, I use Roon+Tidal thru my M Scaler and TT2. I’ve found that since the TT2 is so good, and because Chord didn’t buy into the whole MQA thing, a good place to start is to use all of the default settings, while making sure that MQA unfolding is disabled.

Feb 12, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #12,441 of 18,907
Gadget67, I saved a ton of money by already having premium matched tubes from my years listening to a Woo WA6 that also work in my WA22. Plus I started reading and asking questions on the WA22 head-fi forum, where a fellow enthusiast told me exactly what the best tubes to use were. You and I both know that just about any tube amplifier cannot compete with a really good solid state amp like the one in the TT2, the WA33 being an exception obviously. What a decent tube amplifier like my WA22 does is add a sense of full bodied realism and an analog LP/reel to reel type of sound to what has become a totally digital and sterile stream of 1’s and 0’s passing through either a cable or the air(Bluetooth). Plus I just like to watch the orange glow of the tubes.
Ha! I almost bought a McIntosh amp just to be hypnotized by the blue meters; it was too deep (wouldn’t fit) my repurposed desk. I saw the Chord 2650 (dealer demo) and got a great deal so the TT2 was the obvious companion quickly followed by the M-Scaler. Obviously a WA33 would be nice but I’ll pass for now. Interested to hear more about the new McIntosh MHA200 since its small but I’m guessing it won’t compare to the WA22 that you have. My Chord crack dealer does have a really pristine gently used DAVE... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Feb 12, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #12,443 of 18,907
@DJJEZ

Wow, I assume you ordered from a dealer that doesn't keep them in stock or is there a shortage in the UK? They insta-ship from Moon audio in the US. I ordered one not too long ago.

On the upside: you know you'll be getting a fresh unit and if they've found anything with recent reports of trouble, yours will likely be well tested for such issues!

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #12,444 of 18,907
Ha! I almost bought a McIntosh amp just to be hypnotized by the blue meters; it was too deep (wouldn’t fit) my repurposed desk. I saw the Chord 2650 (dealer demo) and got a great deal so the TT2 was the obvious companion quickly followed by the M-Scaler. Obviously a WA33 would be nice but I’ll pass for now. Interested to hear more about the new McIntosh MHA200 since its small but I’m guessing it won’t compare to the WA22 that you have. My Chord crack dealer does have a really pristine gently used DAVE... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Wow Gadget67, the Chord 2650 is quite the amplifier! I’ll need something like it to drive the Martin Logan ESL 9 speakers that I’ve been dreaming about. I’m just glad that I didn’t talk myself into going crazy and believing that a Chord DAVE was where I needed to be. Yes it’s a really cool thing, but the TT2’s newer design, form and function, and it’s much better built in amplifier, is what sold me. Plus nobody really deals on the DAVE. Geez, $1,800 or $2K off of list? Come on man! When you start thinking that you need a $10K DAC, then you’re up in the rarified air where you’ve really got to love that sound signature and be willing to live with it. I like the TT2 because I can take it up to the cabin, plug in my MacBook Pro 💻, and relax just like I’m at home. The DAVE is a 20+ pound honking beast of a thing. I’m demoing some HiFiMan Susvara’s this weekend. We shall see.

Feb 12, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #12,445 of 18,907
I asked Nordost if indeed flipping the C7 Cord makes a difference. This is their reply. I decided to wait on this Cord but I wonder if the flip w/the stock cord might have the same effect?
IMG_6195.jpg

Feb 12, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #12,446 of 18,907
@DJJEZ

Wow, I assume you ordered from a dealer that doesn't keep them in stock or is there a shortage in the UK? They insta-ship from Moon audio in the US. I ordered one not too long ago.

On the upside: you know you'll be getting a fresh unit and if they've found anything with recent reports of trouble, yours will likely be well tested for such issues!

Yes...I received my TT2 last week in the US as well. There are still a few dealers with dwindling stock. I did grab the last M Scaler at my dealer and he was told that the wait for more M Scalers could be 3+ months to replenish is inventory.

Feb 12, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #12,447 of 18,907
I've seen these in stock at a few places. I've been looking for an M Scaler used in Silver. Just missed buying one the other day here on Forums

Feb 12, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #12,448 of 18,907
I agree...I am very excited to hear the differences that the M Scaler adds. I was quite shocked how different the Qutest sounds from the TT2...based on reviews I had read as well as a few months of listening to the Qutest alone I figured it would be a pretty subtle upgrade. Once I heard the TT2, it was very noticeable and a bit difficult to go back. Once I heard the level of detail that was possible the Qutest just sounded much smaller by comparison with far less instrument separation. Fingers crossed that the TT2 + M Scaler will be end game for me. I am ready to just sit back and enjoy the music!

I asked my dealer, where I bought the Qutest, if the upgrade to the TT2 would be a big one and he undersold that idea. I was pleasantly surprised when I moved to the TT2 and found IMO it is quite a bit better!

I had a Meridian Explorer first, as my PC/laptop DAC. Then bought Mojo, Hugo 2, and then TT2.

I found that the Chord DAC upgrades weren't just big upgrades. The upgrades were also better in ways, that I had not imagined.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #12,449 of 18,907
Wow Gadget67, the Chord 2650 is quite the amplifier! I’ll need something like it to drive the Martin Logan ESL 9 speakers that I’ve been dreaming about. I’m just glad that I didn’t talk myself into going crazy and believing that a Chord DAVE was where I needed to be. Yes it’s a really cool thing, but the TT2’s newer design, form and function, and it’s much better built in amplifier, is what sold me. Plus nobody really deals on the DAVE. Geez, $1,800 or $2K off of list? Come on man! When you start thinking that you need a $10K DAC, then you’re up in the rarified air where you’ve really got to love that sound signature and be willing to live with it. I like the TT2 because I can take it up to the cabin, plug in my MacBook Pro 💻, and relax just like I’m at home. The DAVE is a 20+ pound honking beast of a thing. I’m demoing some HiFiMan Susvara’s this weekend. We shall see.
I could have purchased the DAVE originally but as good as it is, it’s still a 5+ year old design and the TT2/M-Scaler offers approximately the same number of taps and suited my combination 2.1 stereo speaker/headphone system to a ”T” (or, TT). I’m willing to concede that the DAVE is perhaps “better” as a headphone amp than the TT2/M-Scaler but the TT2 has more power for hard to drive headphones like the Susvara. I do have a separate headphone listening area so I can’t say a DAVE is entirely out of the question but for now I’m pretty happy with the Focal Arche/SPL Phonitor 2 that I’m currently using especially at the price points; my Phonitor was used and the Arche was heavily discounted. I’m probably done for a while, but there is always something on the horizon!

Feb 12, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #12,450 of 18,907
I could have purchased the DAVE originally but as good as it is, it’s still a 5+ year old design and the TT2/M-Scaler offers approximately the same number of taps and suited my combination 2.1 stereo speaker/headphone system to a ”T” (or, TT). I’m willing to concede that the DAVE is perhaps “better” as a headphone amp than the TT2/M-Scaler but the TT2 has more power for hard to drive headphones like the Susvara. I do have a separate headphone listening area so I can’t say a DAVE is entirely out of the question but for now I’m pretty happy with the Focal Arche/SPL Phonitor 2 that I’m currently using especially at the price points; my Phonitor was used and the Arche was heavily discounted. I’m probably done for a while, but there is always something on the horizon!

TT2 offers a lot in my opinion. It may not be quite as refined or near perfect as the DAVE but it must be pretty close. I've never tried side-by-side but I was impressed with how well the H2 held up against DAVE when I got to compare them back at CJ 2017 (not the best conditions, obviously). DAVE is very very expensive and TT2, while still very expensive, gives you an upgrade path with the mscaler so you can pace yourself and enjoy the different stages while not blowing loads of cash in one shot. I know DAVE and TT2 will be outstanding in the market for some time, but you have to also consider there will be DAVE2s and TT3s at some point and I'd prefer to be on the less outrageous cost of the upgrade cycle for TT2.

You could argue the TT is the better choice for the headphone enthusiast that may have many different pairs through their collection over time as it does offer more robust amplification. At least at this iteration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back