Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 15, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #12,511 of 18,907
Not so sure. I traded in my H2 for the HTT2 and only got 50% of the original price after 15 months (with the dealer selling it for no profit on his website). 50% seems the going rate for most mainstream chord DACs.
When I was looking late last year, TT2 was $38-4200 USD and DAVE was $7000. "Retail" on those are $5500 and $11000, so roughly 65-70%. M-Scaler retails at $4800 and typically sells around $3400, so another 70% item.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #12,512 of 18,907
Hey that's awesome formula for those that want to dwelve better.
I was hoping for less haha.
I think I'll jsut download a DB app on phone and put it 1inch away from headphone driver and see.?

I typically use an old CD and place it against the earcup with SPL meter in the hole. Set on average and slow.

You'd be surprised with headphones how easy it is to go over 95dB

I've got tinnitus, from my DJ days

This!

There’s typically no mention of SPL (listening loudness) or volume matching doing comparisons. All we usually read on these forums is something is ‘better’, or ‘can not drive’, but what are the actual testing conditions? Would be good to know...

Bingo!

Testing conditions are the music 🎶 I was listening to and level is when I hear bass distorting. Sorry, I'm not very scientific in my testing and everything I say should be considered anecdotal.

Without measurement you could be doing harm to your hearing. Our ears tend to adapt and as a result in one listening session you can keep turning up volume to get above a safe level. If one keeps touching volume one may be doing this.

No one does it, including me, but you should know for each can max volume. Regardless of music.

Feb 15, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #12,514 of 18,907
I typically use an old CD and place it against the earcup with SPL meter in the hole. Set on average and slow.

You'd be surprised with headphones how easy it is to go over 95dB

I've got tinnitus, from my DJ days

Bingo!

Without measurement you could be doing harm to your hearing. Our ears tend to adapt and as a result in one listening session you can keep turning up volume to get above a safe level. If one keeps touching volume one may be doing this.

No one does it, including me, but you should know for each can max volume. Regardless of music.
I got hyperacusis
So, still. - 20 on the tt2, is no easy formula to DB meter?

Feb 15, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #12,515 of 18,907
I got hyperacusis
So, still. - 20 on the tt2, is no easy formula to DB meter?
nope, not without your headphone impedance and sensitivity, along with the db of the track. -20db on Abyss 1266 is not the same db as -20db on Focal Utopias. But since we have similar equipment (TT2 and Abyss), I'd estimate that -20db recorded track played back at 0db on the TT2 is approximately 82db.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #12,517 of 18,907
nope, not without your headphone impedance and sensitivity, along with the db of the track. -20db on Abyss 1266 is not the same db as -20db on Focal Utopias. But since we have similar equipment (TT2 and Abyss), I'd estimate that -20db recorded track played back at 0db on the TT2 is approximately 82db.
Wow! That loud? Wow!
Idk why I imagined between 60 and 70 somewhere... WOW

I'm shocked... I guess I need to turn it down.. Far below satisfying levels....

Oh wait... 82db once tt2 reads 0?

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #12,518 of 18,907
Testing conditions are the music 🎶 I was listening to and level is when I hear bass distorting. Sorry, I'm not very scientific in my testing and everything I say should be considered anecdotal.

Not saying your enjoyment and observations are invalid, but as a low volume listener myself (around 80-85dB SPL) I personally would love to know if people are cranking the volume and getting distortion vs someone like me who may not find an issue at lower volume. I’d also consider if the recording is ‘hot’ vs a well mastered album that would be less prone to clipping and distortion. That’s where knowing what the listener is listening to and under what conditions would be incredibly helpful.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #12,519 of 18,907
Wow! That loud? Wow!
Idk why I imagined between 60 and 70 somewhere... WOW

I'm shocked... I guess I need to turn it down.. Far below satisfying levels....
I think you're misreading what I've written. The unknown factor about what you listen to is what db the files are recorded at. The volume on the TT2 doesn't mean anything without knowing that part. The example I provided (-20db recorded track played back at 0db) would essentially be 62db if played back at -20 on the TT2

Feb 15, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #12,520 of 18,907
I think you're misreading what I've written. The unknown factor about what you listen to is what db the files are recorded at. The volume on the TT2 doesn't mean anything without knowing that part. The example I provided (-20db recorded track played back at 0db) would essentially be 62db if played back at -20 on the TT2
OK thanks so much

Feb 15, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #12,521 of 18,907
Not saying your enjoyment and observations are invalid, but as a low volume listener myself (around 80-85dB SPL) I personally would love to know if people are cranking the volume and getting distortion vs someone like me who may not find an issue at lower volume. I’d also consider if the recording is ‘hot’ vs a well mastered album that would be less prone to clipping and distortion. That’s where knowing what the listener is listening to and under what conditions would be incredibly helpful.
I understand, so to clarify...my chain was Qobuz as the source via Roon...Jacob Collier - Home Is (from Djesse Vol 1)...into MScaler, full upscaling, into TT2. I was using Susvara from the front headphone out and at 12H it was what I consider loud volume (just going by what I heard). At this point, the very low bass rumbles were distorted on the Susvara. From the rear balanced outs, I have exceeded this loudness level and never heard any distortion on anything. This was my first time actually, hearing the TT2 distort on anything and of course it was the Susvara that did it. That's what lead me to write that the single ended are not up to the task of driving the Susvara. Even if you weren't listening at the loud volume I was, it is probably good to know that you don't have the headroom you might want from single-ended outs (again just on the Susvara) and should use the balanced out for them, where this is not a problem at all.

Feb 15, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #12,522 of 18,907
single ended are not up to the task of driving the Susvara
I think it will be ok for compressed recordings like typical popular or rock music. Take good classical, jazz, et.c. album with high dynamic range and headphones like Susvara, HE6, Abyss would show their appetites.

Actually, I think it’s not about power and watts, but more about voltage swing and headroom. That also explains why some tube amps have lower power rating, but are well known for driving these headphones “properly”.

Feb 15, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #12,523 of 18,907
Congrats! I hope you have better luck with delivery than I am having. My M Scaler was shipped overnight FedEx last Thursday for Friday delivery. FedEx chose to skip the final pickup of the day due to weather, but then blamed the seller even though he dropped it off 2 hours before the deadline. All weekend, the package sat in a depot on the east coast and last night it showed up in Memphis where it appears the state is under weather advisory with no scheduled delivery date listed. I am hoping to have it by Wednesday now, if I am lucky. I have never been more excited for something to arrive...the wait is brutal.
That is beyond frustrating!

Feb 16, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #12,525 of 18,907
Not so sure. I traded in my H2 for the HTT2 and only got 50% of the original price after 15 months (with the dealer selling it for no profit on his website). 50% seems the going rate for most mainstream chord DACs.
Agreed, that is why I bought mine new. The extra 20% is worth it to have a warranty.

I can't speak for other countries but in the UK they hold their value very well on ebay and sell for around 80 to 85% of their retail cost.

This is why I bought both of mine new as well..wanted longer warranty

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back