Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 26, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #11,296 of 18,991
Sorry about that! I have a tendency to be overly helpful...:confused:
Thank you Gadget67 for being so helpful. Please don’t stop being that way. Here’s a screenshot of the SBooster compatibility chart from their website. I’m just wonder why aftermarket wall warts are considered an audiophile essential, and why so many folks say that it improves the sound quality of their systems? I’m only asking because I don’t know and I’m not a sound or electrical engineer. https://www.sbooster.com/images/bestanduploaden/Compatibility list BOTW P&P ECO.pdf

Attachments

• 54D50E7A-10E2-430D-B15D-3CAEFC90A7BE.jpeg
    54D50E7A-10E2-430D-B15D-3CAEFC90A7BE.jpeg
    734.5 KB · Views: 0
Dec 26, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #11,298 of 18,991
Is anybody using an SBooster as a linear power supply for their Chord Hugo TT2? I’ve read where it’s been said that using one will invalidate your warranty. But I’ve also read reviews where folks say that the difference in sound quality for the good is quite noticeable. I must say that staring down at the wimpy psu that comes with the TT2 does not fill me with a great deal of confidence. https://upscaleaudio.com/products/sbooster-botw-p-p-mkii-power-supply?variant=22207470436412

I believe the TT2 has its own internal supercapacitor power supply and the SMPS wall wart is merely a charging supply to the internal supply. That said and noting how the use of 3rd party power supplies invalidates warranty, some ears I respect report that using a good 3rd party supply does offer audible improvements. As an owner of an Sbooster BOTW (but not a TT2) I can only hypothesise that a power supply of higher quality might be more befitting of the TT2.

Dec 26, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #11,299 of 18,991
I believe the TT2 has its own internal supercapacitor power supply and the SMPS wall wart is merely a charging supply to the internal supply. That said and noting how the use of 3rd party power supplies invalidates warranty, some ears I respect report that using a good 3rd party supply does offer audible improvements. As an owner of an Sbooster BOTW (but not a TT2) I can only hypothesise that a power supply of higher quality might be more befitting of the TT2.
HumanMedia, what do you have your SBooster BOTW plugged into if I may ask?

Dec 26, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #11,300 of 18,991
But the story continues: after a few months, i had the TT2 almost a year, it broke down again!!!
It wouldn’t turn on, lights blinking, loud ticking, it’s in some sort of start up loop. For the second time i had to send it in for repair. It didn’t have to go to the UK, because a local repair company here is authorised to do the repairs for Chord. Unfortunately the are very busy and i am waiting more than a month now. When i phoned them yesterday they told me that they ordered a mainboard from the UK and that they do not know how long the waiting will be, because of the covid thing and everybody working at home.

Well, my TT2 is still not repaired, it's more than 2 months now. I phoned the repair company 3 times, they are still waiting for the main board from the UK.
What i feared most, has now happened:

It'll be lonely this Christmas
Without my TT2 to hold
It'll be lonely this Christmas
Lonely and cold
It'll be cold, so cold, without TT2 to hold
This Christmas
:wink:

Merry X-Mas everybody.

Dec 26, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #11,301 of 18,991
Well, my TT2 is still not repaired, it's more than 2 months now. I phoned the repair company 3 times, they are still waiting for the main board from the UK.
What i feared most, has now happened:

2 months is ridiculous and unacceptable. Why didn't they just give you a new one? If I were you I would tell them to keep the broken one and give me a new one ASAP.

With respect to the power supply, could it be that the cheap power supply provided is introducing some noise and therefore degrading the sound quality? Replacing it seems risky though since Chord has decided to strictly forbid it. Perhaps Chord would like to approve some external power supplies and permit the users of TT2 units to use them? Chord, are you listening?

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #11,302 of 18,991
The supplied power supply has no effect on the sound. It only charges the internal supply. To test... while listening, remove the power jack at the TT2 and listen while only the internal supply powers the unit. To me there is no change in the sound.

Dec 26, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #11,304 of 18,991
Does anyone use their TT2 with bookshelf or monitor speakers?

I have my TT2 set up in my home office with headphones. The room isn’t really laid out for a proper 2 channel set up but I was thinking of adding some small speakers to enjoy the set up while I work?

Any recommendations for speakers of that size that pair well with the TT2 is appreciated.

Dec 26, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #11,307 of 18,991

I have my TT2 set up in my home office with headphones. The room isn’t really laid out for a proper 2 channel set up but I was thinking of adding some small speakers to enjoy the set up while I work?

Any recommendations for speakers of that size that pair well with the TT2 is appreciated.
Since this March, running my HMS/TT2 to my speakers directly. They are not the most efficient pair, Dali Icon 2 bookshelf. I almost never have to go over -10db, unless it is some of opera/classical recordings, in that case -5, never more than 0. For most recordings -10db is too loud for my medium size room. WFH proved that this is a viable setup, listening it all day long for 5+ days a week, averaging 10 hours a day. It is musical heaven, I'm not a bass-head, but the quality of the base is incredible, so are highs and mids.
If you have any more questions, ask away. DM is fine too.

Dec 26, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #11,308 of 18,991
Since this March, running my HMS/TT2 to my speakers directly. They are not the most efficient pair, Dali Icon 2 bookshelf. I almost never have to go over -10db, unless it is some of opera/classical recordings, in that case -5, never more than 0. For most recordings -10db is too loud for my medium size room. WFH proved that this is a viable setup, listening it all day long for 5+ days a week, averaging 10 hours a day. It is musical heaven, I'm not a bass-head, but the quality of the base is incredible, so are highs and mids.
If you have any more questions, ask away. DM is fine too.
What speakers are you using that the tt2 can handle on its own?

Dec 27, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #11,310 of 18,991

I’m using the Omega SAMs (Super Alnico Monitors) nearfild and TT2 drives them well. The sound is fantastic, though I have added a sub, also (speakers driven from th XLRs balanced and sub connected to the RCA). The sub adds body below 50Hz. The SAMs aren’t the smallest Onega has, and if you get a sub, you can probably do a smaller model. They are very efficient and transparent sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back